What's new

Gas BBQ grill recommendations? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Deck is on hold...there was a delay in materials, so work stopped this week. We're told it will resume Friday and finish on Saturday. Hopefully I can get the grill set up on Sunday.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Hang in there - if it's not something like that it's the weather. Before you know it you'll be basking in the glow of that Weber enjoying your favorite adult beverage.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So close...grill is on the deck. But the Weber NG fitting doesn't match my NG output. Off to Lowes to hopefully find a simple adapter.

And the Lowes assembly guys didn't connect the NG bulkhead to the interior of the grill. Need to find some screws for that.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The online manual says the Genesis 330 has a 1/2" connection. It does not. It has a 3/8" fitting. In fact, the printed manual with my grill is quite clear about needing an adapter to go from a standard 1/2" home output to the 3/8" Weber fitting. Which is great if you read printed manuals. But if you're me, and use downloaded manuals and read them on your computer), you're deeply confused.

Here it is in pictures :)

View attachment 11016 View attachment 11017 View attachment 11018 View attachment 11019 View attachment 11020

The left most burner isn't igniting. There's gas flow; I can light with a butane lighter. And there's spark from the igniter. But it doesn't light. I'll look at the lighter position and see if it can be adjusted to fix. If not, I'll call Weber for warranty support. The other burners are working. I haven't checked the side burner yet. And I still need to check the gas line for leaks -- but my copious use of pipe dope leaves me little doubt it's fine. And after that, I need to do a proper heat check with the grill to confirm I've got good gas flow and get to Steak Searing temperatures! :D

But I do want to see if I can find a direct 1/2" to 3/8" pipe nipple for a direct connection. I'm not keen on 8" of rigid piping from the house, even if it's tucked behind the grill.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Details aside, excited! Hope to actually grill dinner this week!

Attachments

• IMG_3930.jpg
    IMG_3930.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3931.jpg
    IMG_3931.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3932.jpg
    IMG_3932.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3933.jpg
    IMG_3933.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3934.jpg
    IMG_3934.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 38

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Looks great! My connection worked perfectly, but I vaguely recall needing to buy an adapter when we hooked up our original grill.

The problems you had with your assembled grill is exactly why I chose to build it this time. My last grill was so poorly pre-assembled I had to take most of it apart to get it built correctly.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Got a cover for it. After it sat in the rain all the first night. :)Weber cover seems high quality, noticeably thicker and stronger seams than the generic one I bought for my previous grill. And my wife bought me the Weber handle light. Because she's awesome :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Paul D G said:
Looks great! My connection worked perfectly, but I vaguely recall needing to buy an adapter when we hooked up our original grill.

The problems you had with your assembled grill is exactly why I chose to build it this time. My last grill was so poorly pre-assembled I had to take most of it apart to get it built correctly.
Unfortunately, it's not simple assembly error. It appears to be a faulty sparker. (The burner has gas flow and the sparker sparks, but the two aren't making a flame.) Weber is sending me a replacement ignitor kit. Which of course is out of supply and will take 3 weeks to ship. Sigh.

I can grill, but I'll be working at a disadvantage :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
First grill in three years! Made a simple marinated chicken breast. Looking forward to some burgers and steaks this summer. And hopefully grilling well into the winter! :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 40

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Dennis Nicholls said:
I use Raichlen's Rub.http://www.bbqu.net/season1/108_4.html My local WinCo sells the spices by the oz. and a batch of this rub is therefore really cheap to make. I add a little ground cumin to his mix. Naturally this works better if your NA is OBD-II compliant.
Dennis Nicholls said:
Don't forget.... Magnetic flux density is given in units of Webers per meter squared.
Also, no onterating on the premises is allowed.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dave:

Does your NG connection allow you to pull the grill forward enough so that the heat doesn't have any negative impact on the railing directly behind it?

This stuff is a constant worry for me as I know someone who left their grill too close to some vinyl siding one day. What a mess!

I still haven't pulled the trigger on a new grill myself yet. But that day is eventually coming.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mike Frezon said:
Dave:

Does your NG connection allow you to pull the grill forward enough so that the heat doesn't have any negative impact on the railing directly behind it?

This stuff is a constant worry for me as I know someone who left their grill too close to some vinyl siding one day. What a mess!

I still haven't pulled the trigger on a new grill myself yet. But that day is eventually coming.
Yeah, I've got room. It's not obvious from the photos, but it's about two feet from the railing right now. That was a specific design choice, to have the top deck deep enough to keep the grill clear of the railing and push the cook into the traffic flow. (I've seen homes where the grill was kept next to the house and the siding slumped from the heat.)

I don't want to melt my deck railings. The wife would be...displeased. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So with the grill working-ish, I want recommendations for accessories, gadgets, upgrades. I've got a whole new category of possible presents here :D

I'm immediately interested in remote-read thermometers and/or iPhone apps. Thoughts?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm going to quote myself and recommend this rotisserie. We've done a chicken on it and a pork loin with excellent results. The motor has a stainless steel housing and they answer questions via email quickly.

Johnny Angell said:
We successfully used the rotisserie yesterday. We did a single chicken, basting it with a sauce every 20 minutes and set the grill to 375. It was done to perfection in about 90 minutes. The chicken was very moist and tasty. I had put an aluminum tray below the chicken to catch the drippings and prevent flareups. It was surprising how little had dripped into the pan. I'm guessing the rotation of the chicken causes the juices that are about to drip, to instead drizzle over the bird.

This is the rotisserie we bought for our Weber 330. Not a Weber brand, but's a very good moister with a stainless steel housing. I have emailed them several times with questions and they have always answered with very helpful answers.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RS6UOC/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Tried something brand new: grilled pineapple*. This was just pineapple, seared to heat and get some caramelization. It was ok. For simple pineapple, I'm happier to eat it raw. But now that I've done it simply, I'm looking forward to trying the brown-sugar glazed recipe in my Weber cookbook (and eventually some of the other variants quickly found online)

IMG_3954.jpg

* Also mango. But that's less interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks