What's new

Gas BBQ grill recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
schan1269 said:
I just sit it on the grate.
Agreed. I did this for the first time a year or two ago at my sister's place. Worked brilliantly and was one of the most "fun" nights of grilling I've ever had.

We made smallish, rectangular pizzas - about 12" x 8" (I think each package of dough was split in half - wish I knew what dough was used - I was tending the grill and just cooked what they handed me). These were just the right size to pick up using two spatulas.

The process I used was this:

1) The raw dough was cooked on one side for maybe a minute or slightly longer - enough to solidify and brown slightly. I was concerned that the dough would ooze through the grill grates, but it didn't. The result was slight ridges, nothing more.

2) The half-cooked dough was taken inside for final prep. The sauce, cheese and toppings were put on the cooked side of the dough. This was the fun part - we did 8 or 10 pizzas in all - with all sorts of fun toppings - goat cheese, artichoke hearts, prosciutto, sauteed onions, you name it. Again, wish I remembered some of the combinations - must have been all the scotch I drank during grilling that makes remembering the details a little tough :wacko:

3) The topped pizzas were brought back out to the grill. Cooked again right on the grill for another minute or two. Just enough to finish crisping the crust. This wasn't enough to fully melt the cheese, though. So I moved the pizzas to the warming rack in the grill to finish them off. This worked out really well, because I could have two finishing up on the rack, while the next was cooking on the grill.

4) The pizzas were DEVOURED. So much fun - a very social eating experience.

Try it with a group of friends. A great time, I promise!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Thick pizza dough won't sag. Thin will.I either Make my own dough(takes about 20 minutes) or buy pre-done(here in the "land of pizza", easy to find).French bread(frozen garlic bread loaves work great) and English muffin pizza works as well. Thrown a few frozen on as well.Charcoal is tough for pizza. Can be done if you can maintain 400-450 for 12-15 straight minutes.The gas side of my grill, all three burners on low is a steady 400. When I charcoal a pizza, this is where the benefits of a twin grill come in. Charcoal is 400, swap over to the other side set around 275(two burners on low) to finish the cheese(bread stops cooking under 300).Frozen take 80% of the low side in time( major convection going on).Fresh, depending on the crust, take 5-9 minutes with a finishing time of another 5 with 2 burners off and letting it fall under 300 to finish melting the cheese.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Finally!

Pulled the trigger tonight on a Weber Genesis E-310 LP (Green).

ALERT! If anyone following this thread wants one...they are currently on sale for 20% off the regular price of $699.99. Use your Target RedCard and get another 5% off. And, FREE SHIPPING! There is also a handling fee of $60 because of the weight of the grill which is removed if you use your Target card.

Here's my breakdown:
order summary.

subtotal:
$699.99

promotion discounts:
-$35.00​

shipping:
$39.99​

REDcard shipping discount:
-$39.99​

Handling Fee:
$60.00​

Handling Discount:
-$60.00​

estimated taxes:
$58.00​

other charges:
$0.00​

other discounts:
-$121.00​

your price: $601.99

total savings: -$255.99 (30%)
Delivery will be sometime Monday through Wednesday! Woohoo!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I always thought that "Genesis" was a poor choice of names for a BBQ. A much better choice would be "Leviticus" which is all about preparing burnt offerings on charcoal.

Two tanks are a good idea. If you run out there's always a full spare. Just make sure any empty tank is quickly refilled.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
DaveF said:
Sweet!Wife gave me early birthday present, an igrill mini. Hope to try it out this weekend.http://idevicesinc.com/igrill/igrillmini/
I presume the probe cords are protected by some sort of metal covering and that you can close the grill lid while using the probes? I'd also be interested to know if flipping a steak or whatever it is is a PITA or not. Let us know if the iGrill is accurate. Do you get the doneness you want? I do like the idea of looking at your iPhone to see the temp of the meat. :)

I clicked on that link and discovered they also have a version that can take up to 4 probes and it comes with 2 in the box. It, of course, costs more. Still, if your'e cooking 4 steaks and everyone wants a different doneness, it would come in handy. But all those cords could be troublesome too.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've paired it to my iPhone to see how it works. But I haven't used it with the grill yet.

The probes are typical thermocouple type devices, with braided metal cords leading do the base unit. They're meant to be left in the meat during cooking. The iPhone app monitors the temperature and indicates when it's below, near, and at target temperature. The app runs in the background, but I've yet to try it in my use case (which is, listening to a podcast while cooking).

The app will simultaneously monitor and display multiple probes. If you have the four-probe iGrill, it will signal all probes independently.

Maybe I'll grill boneless chicken breast tomorrow. That's my simplest, but also most frustrating, regular recipe for getting temperature right. And it will check the app for background use, since I also use my iPhone for the timer (to flip the chicken), and I can listen to a podcast while cooking.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Speaking of grilling.

I bought some sun-dried tomato Chicken breast roast. I might charcoal those...with them sitting in a EVOO slicked cast iron pot, with some peppers and fresh asparagus(which I grow).

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Dennis Nicholls said:
I always thought that "Genesis" was a poor choice of names for a BBQ. A much better choice would be "Leviticus" which is all about preparing burnt offerings on charcoal.

Two tanks are a good idea. If you run out there's always a full spare. Just make sure any empty tank is quickly refilled.
Hopefully you can get your tanks refilled, there are very few places in my area that do it any longer. Received a BBQ and brand new tank as a gift a few years ago, but what a pain to get the tank refilled.
Everything now seems to be those self-serve swap your tank with another pre-filled one. Sorry, but I'm not giving up my brand new tank for one that has been passed around for years.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Try those sites where RVs park for the night. Forget the national name right now. Also, self-storage sites. U-Haul rentals often fill propane tanks.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
In the West "Suburban Propane" is the big distributor. They have a depot down by the RR tracks in Boise and will fill tanks while you wait cheaply.

The one here has a great pun from a favorite MGM musical Gigi on their sign: "Tank Heaven for Little Grills". :P

EDIT Actually SP is nationwide and HQ in New Jersey.
http://www.suburbanpropane.com/locator/

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Finally!

Pulled the trigger tonight on a Weber Genesis E-310 LP (Green).

ALERT! If anyone following this thread wants one...they are currently on sale for 20% off the regular price of $699.99. Use your Target RedCard and get another 5% off. And, FREE SHIPPING! There is also a handling fee of $60 because of the weight of the grill which is removed if you use your Target card.

Here's my breakdown:

Delivery will be sometime Monday through Wednesday! Woohoo!
And things just keep getting better. Target over estimated my tax liability (not sure why). Instead of $601.99, I'll be paying $587.51! :thumbsup:
shipment summary.

subtotal:
$699.99

promotion discounts:
-$35.00​

shipping:
$39.99​

REDcard shipping discount:
-$39.99​

Handling Fee:
$60.00​

Handling Discount:
-$60.00​

estimated taxes:
$43.52​

other charges:
$0.00​

other discounts:
-$121.00​

your price: $587.51

total savings: -$255.99 (30%)
Stan said:
Hopefully you can get your tanks refilled, there are very few places in my area that do it any longer. Received a BBQ and brand new tank as a gift a few years ago, but what a pain to get the tank refilled.
Everything now seems to be those self-serve swap your tank with another pre-filled one. Sorry, but I'm not giving up my brand new tank for one that has been passed around for years.
Totally hear you on those tank swap outs, Stan. I won't do 'em either..Luckily, we've got a couple locally-owned hardware chains and garden centers that still fill tanks. Cheap, too. Usually, $14.99 or $16.99 sales under a regular price of $19.99.

I like Dennis' idea of getting a 2nd tank. I'm gonna do it! I hate running out of propane.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks