What's new

Garfield: The Movie IS COMING!!!!!!!!!!! (2 Viewers)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
It would be really stupid to boycott the movie because the original guy could not do it. he passed away a few years ago. not much can be done about that.

I finally relized why everyone is complaining about the movie.. its because they have made it a family movie for the kids, not the adults.. we were kids we started reading garfield and have grown up.. just like what happen with the star wars prequels.

I say wait and give this movie a chance. It could be good. as some people know.. CGI takes a while to do. that is why we must wait a while for the star wars films. or even hulk for that matter.

I think the movie will be just fine. I think they got the casting right. the right contrast for Jon and Liz. and of course bill murray as the voice of garfield.

I don;t mind that they are making garfield look like a real cat like in the movie: cats and dogs.

JACOB

From the looks of things in the trailer, there will be NOTHING unusual about Odie. This will be one horrible, horrible movie.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Well......yeh.......that's obvious even before we saw a trailer. Look at the source material. It's a fun comic, well used to be, leave it there. Why in the hell would this need a movie?

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, the teaser online looks pretty awful. First off, Garfield is supposed to be a LAZY cat, yet in the teaser, he's moving far too much. All the dancing around is silly. Secondly, I think making Odie a real dog is a big mistake. I don't think we will get the same feel as the comic.

Not that I had much hope for this in the first place. Jim Davis' strip was tired years ago. I'd much rather have a "Get Fuzzy" movie than this...

Jason

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
Well, as a life-long Garfield fan I was both highly anticipating and dreading this trailer, knowing that they seemed to be making a lot of bad decisions in the production. However, my first impressions were a lot better than I expected, and having watched the trailer many times over I am now enjoying it quite a lot...

Bill Murray is the perfect choice as Garfield, and he is known for making careful movie decisions (and is very outspoken and honest when he makes bad ones, like Charlie's Angels), so that inspires some confidence in the script...

The "realistic" Garfield works really well - he looks like a real cat and yet occasionally can look almost EXACTLY like one of the Garfield stuffed toys you can get. The CGI itself is fairly impressive (a couple of the shots look unfinished, but others are very well executed).

As for Garfield being too active in this trailer, there are two things to consider here: firstly, in the comics there were many occasions where Garfield would dance, run, or generally be active. Secondly, this trailer probably uses pretty much all the finished CGI so far, and if I were the visual effects house, I would have been working on the more complex, movement-filled shots first...

Yes, Odie should have been CGI but I've just about come to terms with it. What will be worse is if all the other cats are real as well (it could work with Nermal, but certainly not Arlene).

Jennifer Love Hewitt is still wrong. Her casting is the worst decision so far. I can't comment on Breckin Meyer yet as he doesn't do anything in the trailer.

Overall, this has raised my anticipation. As long as the movie isn't too "kiddefied" then I would imagine I'll come out happy...

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Sigh. And the anal rape of my childhood continues. I think I'm gonna go watch some Garfield and Friends episodes to clean the bad taste out of my mouth.

It was already mentioned last page that real-dog Odie is being replaced with CGI-dog Odie. No point dwelling on something that is no longer going to be in the movie :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Then it must be a last minute, seat-of-the-pants, grasping-at-anything-to-save-this-movie decision. Otherwise, why waste time and money filming with a real dog on-set?

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I showed the preview to my wife and three year old daughter. My wife was just rolling her eyes and commented on how fake looking Garfield looked but my daughter was laughing through the whole thing. She ended up watching it like 10 times in a row. Looks like I'll be seeing this one next summer :).

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
how old is your daughter? if I may ask.

I do think that the garfield movie is more geared for the kids then kids over 18.

JACOB

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
She's three. As soon as Garfield comes sliding across the floor and shaking his booty she cracks up. When it eventually comes out I hope I'm entertained but to be honest, if she has a great time that will be good enough for me.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw the trailer.....
I never thought Garfield to be that active. In the trailer he's described as a "fat...lazy cat". If he spends that much time running around he'd be in good shape. :)
I didnt care for the moans that he was doing. When he spoke it was fine.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I am THRILLELD with the choice of Bill Murray as Garfield. I don't even know if I remember when Music passed away, but I have thought for years Murray sounded just like Garfield. He should be hysterica.

Hewitt isn't a bad choice.

Hoping Odie will be CG.

I liked the idea of Bill Pullman as Jon, maybe on the old side now.

My first pick was Matthew Perry.

I also think for an older Jon, Anthony Stewart Head (Giles of Buffy the Vampire Slayer) could have been funny, but oh well.

It CAN'T be worse than Scooby Doo.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the official site of garfield has a new opening for the site. the site has not opened yet. coming soon.net is reporting that they push the release date back a week for the garfield movie until June 25, 2004. the official site still lists June 18, 2004. I say they should open it on saturday, which would be garfield's birthday.
JACOB
http://www.garfieldmovie.com/home.html

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
there has been many release date problems for the garfield movie.. originally was it going to be released the same week as return of the king, then it was moved to may 21, 2004, then june 4, 2004, then june 18, 2004, and now at june 25.. last summer competition of the movies was really tough, and this summer seems like it going to do the same all over again.. I see that spy captain is rumored to open on June 25 now. I say the best time to release garfield would be on June 19th, on that saturday.. which would be garfield's birthday.

what does everyone think.. mostly for the people that are interested in the movie.

JACOB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks