What's new

Garfield: The Movie IS COMING!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Mildly amusing that they worked in a gag about the Garfield car window suction cup toys, but I'm getting the same reaction here as I did from Cat in the Hat.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not impressed with Bill Murray voicing Garfield. This movie should have been made years ago. It should have been fully animated and it should have had Lorenzo Music doing Garfield's voice. In my mind he WAS Garfield. To paraphrase......there can be only ONE.....and Bill Murray ain't the one.

The idea of using a live dog was also dumb. All it does is draw even more attention to the "animatedness" of the Garfield character. Odie also had a definite look with the long neck and huge slobbering tongue.

How are they going to pull off Arlene? She had an outrageously long neck, a big head, and a tiny body.

I wish "creators" would quit allowing their creations to be bastardized for the sake of a few dollars more.

I like Watterson because he had integrity and treated his characters with respect. They weren't just a money machine to him. I mean he had any number of opportunities to "sell out" his characters to the marketers and refused to do so. He also knew when to quit......unlike "Sparky" Schultz and now Jim Davis.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
My choice for Garfield's voice would have been Brad Garrett.

I barely remember Lorenzo Music's voice, but to me Garfield should sound sardonic, tired and dismissive.

I do think Bill Murray could turn it into something noteworthy, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

That's funny, because that is exactly what I thought Lorenzo Music's voicing sounded like.....except, possibly, the sardonic tone.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I said the FIRST release date announced. When Fox finally announced this project earlier this spring, they said it would be in theaters by December 19th.

I know what the NEW release date is, but when they first said "We're gonna be bringing you Garfield" they said it would be up against Return of the King on Dec 19th.

The only reason I brought that up anyway was to show that it looks like they're not putting too much thought into this from all angles

Check the first page of this thread--the links are there.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Brad garret is playing a differnt role in garfield. orinally it was going to be released on december 19, 2003 but then pushed back to june of 2004.. mainly for the cgi/special effects take alot of time.

JACOB

Galen_V

Second Unit
Hmmm. I don't like the looks of this at all. I think that it would work if they animated Garfield and Odie like the Loony Tunes in Back in Action. I just can't picture Garfield as a "real" looking cat for some reason.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Well... Just saw the trailer.
I like the look of CGI Garfield, and Bill Murray's voice suits him just fine (LOVED the Elvis bit :D). But I just can't get past the idea of Breckin Meyer as Jon.
Still, the teaser looks better than I thought it would, so I'm officially giving it a chance. Hey, even sickeningly sweet Jennifer Love Hewitt managed to look A LITTLE mean in the trailer. It might just end up working.
That said... Is there any chance a law could be passed that banned movies and tv shows that ripped off Risky Business??? It's been 20 years, people, it's not funny anymore!!! :angry:

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Be that as it may, it doesn't excuse the lack of creativity made evident by milking a sight gag first used two decades ago.

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
Jeff's boycott based on Lorenzo Music, here's an interesting thought:

Lorenzo Music was the voice of Garfield

Lorenzo Music was the voice of Peter Venkman on Real Ghostbusters

Bill Murray was Peter Venkman in Ghostbusters

Bill Murray is the voice of Garfield in the movie

Honestly, if anyone was going to take Lorenzos place, I'm glad it's Bill. Anyway, an interesting bit of serendipity there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks