This is probably easy.

img02.jpg

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
rich_d said:
Seeing that you guys are so darn good at this, perhaps you get help with a 'piece of a film poster.' As I don't know the answer to this. It appears in Hugo (2011) when Hugo takes Isabelle to the movies where they watch Safety Last! until being booted out. This partial view of a poster with a fat man and two geese (or ducks) appears by the door. As all the other films are silent films (or partially silent) it would seem most likely to come from that era. So ... what do you think experts?

hugo-thrown-out-of-the-movie-theater-2.png
I love a good old "google challenge"... but this one is proving tricky.

From what I've gleaned - the man in the poster is very likely to be Fatty Arbuckle, but google image searches using various combinations of the terms Fatty Arbuckle French movie poster goose hasn't turned up anything yet.

I also tried cropping the picture and trying to use google's image search function that attempts to find similar images, but that hasn't worked, either.

His IMDB profile lists 163 shorts... most of which have very little detailed information. None of the titles screams out "goose", either.

I'll keep poking around though...

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Jason Charlton said:
I love a good old "google challenge"... but this one is proving tricky.

From what I've gleaned - the man in the poster is very likely to be Fatty Arbuckle, but google image searches using various combinations of the terms Fatty Arbuckle French movie poster goose hasn't turned up anything yet.

I also tried cropping the picture and trying to use google's image search function that attempts to find similar images, but that hasn't worked, either.

His IMDB profile lists 163 shorts... most of which have very little detailed information. None of the titles screams out "goose", either.

I'll keep poking around though...
I also thought it likely to be Fatty Arbuckle. Perhaps it's a modern film prop versus being an actual poster. Still, it seems odd they would go to the trouble of drawing in the geese. Too bad because I've made out everything else in the theatre scenes. Additionally, at the 1:40:51 mark there are additional movie posters: The Conquest of the Pole (1912), a Max Linder stylized poster that was also used in the theatre scene, a fragment of a version of The Lady with the Camellias and Fantomas (1913). On the far right, another fragment of a poster shows a short fat bald man with a tiny hat in a tux with what appears to be two Asian men (perhaps in uniform). Unfortunately, the title is torn as if the filmmakers are playing with us.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Seriously? No one can guess? It's real easy. A little hint.
img00.jpg

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
It's ringing a bell, but I can't place it. Is that a spaceship poking around in the bottom corner?

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm really surprised. Half the surfing planet and all of us here just saw this recently. So I was expecting everyone to guess it in few seconds. :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
ONCE??? Only ONCE?!?!?!

What's the matter with you, man? :biggrin:
I quit watching trailers online a few years ago (they're too revealing) so I've only had one chance to see it so far. I'm so out of it that I saw The Avengers sequel trailer for the first time last weekend and I hadn't even realized that the movie was already coming out in May.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Jason Charlton said:
Based your last one, is that the CGI young Ahnuld in the Terminater Genisys trailer?
The eyebrows gave it away. I knew I should not have posted them!

img02.jpg

I'm impressed if it's 100% CGI model. It looks good.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll try one.

I would classify this as extremely easy. But, that's me. And I suppose all of us who put one up think it's going to be easy.

gallery_286742_34_10066.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks