What's new

Future "A Star Wars Story" Spin-off Films Reportedly Put on Hold by Disney/LucasFilm (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I feel like the one that everybody wants the most is Obi-Wan/Ben. Because they already have an actor in that part that audiences love, and who played the role for George Lucas, that would be a *much* easier sell than Solo with a new actor. So I hope they come to the conclusion that that one can proceed. But like I said in the Solo thread, this news really shouldn't surprise anybody.

Incredibles 2 took four days to outgross Solo's entire domestic run to date. Although I'm sure Pixar is delighted with their grosses, this is a clear indication that there is a major problem as far as Lucasfilm is concerned.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't believe this story mostly because I don't think Disney has any intention of letting a year go by without that Star Wars money injection but at the same time, I'm perfectly fine with them waiting, re-evaluating their plans and having the next movie after Episode IX be Rian Johnson's first trilogy movie in 2021(?) or waiting another year to do Obi-Wan or Boba Fett or whatever the next SW Story movie is.

There's plenty of other Star Wars stuff out there to fill my time. There's currently more than one comic book series a week getting released (the regular series- Star Wars- has been great lately), novels come out every few months and there's an upcoming animated series. I realize most fans don't get all that stuff and it's small potatoes for Disney who wants billion dollar grosses but I won't be suffering from any Star Wars drought if they wait.

cb1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I think people didn't go see Solo because The Last Jedi was disappointing to them; not because Solo was bad. They wanted to stick it to LF and KK.
I enjoyed for The Last Jedi and I enjoyed Solo. I am in the minority. :wave-hello:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed for The Last Jedi and I enjoyed Solo. I am in the minority. :wave-hello:
I don't think that's the minority. No doubt there's a segment of the fanbase that didn't like it but The Last Jedi was still a gigantic commercial hit, a critical hit and a hit with audiences (look at the more balanced Cinemascore and not the spite voting on Rotten Tomatoes). And while not enough people saw Solo to make it profitable, I think most people would agree that the word on the movie was that it was nothing great but it was still an enjoyable movie.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't believe this story mostly because I don't think Disney has any intention of letting a year go by without that Star Wars money injection but at the same time, I'm perfectly fine with them waiting, re-evaluating their plans and having the next movie after Episode IX be Rian Johnson's first trilogy movie in 2021(?) or waiting another year to do Obi-Wan or Boba Fett or whatever the next SW Story movie is.

I believe that they're on hold currently...but this report doesn't say how long they are going to be on hold for. I think it makes sense for them to focus on Episode IX right now, and then figure out what they're going to do next.

Does this mean we'll never see another spinoff movie? Probably not -- but it does seem to mean we won't have one start shooting without a completed script (as Rogue One did) and we may not see them being rushed to make an unmovable release date (like Solo was.) That's all good with me. I also think that if they do proceed on these kinds of projects in the future, they may have to experiment with the idea that the budgets need to allow for every single film not having to gross $1 billion-plus to succeed, as we've talked about before in other threads.

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again: as of right now, Disney has Indiana Jones 5 dated for July 10, 2020. I think it's entirely possible, especially in light of Solo's disappointing numbers, that Disney might be willing to accept that as Lucasfilm's sole contribution to their 2020 slate. It's sure to be a big hit, so it's not like Lucasfilm isn't contributing something for 2020, even if that something happens to not be Star Wars.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again: as of right now, Disney has Indiana Jones 5 dated for July 10, 2020. I think it's entirely possible, especially in light of Solo's disappointing numbers, that Disney might be willing to accept that as Lucasfilm's sole contribution to their 2020 slate. It's sure to be a big hit, so it's not like Lucasfilm isn't contributing something for 2020, even if that something happens to not be Star Wars.
You always point that Indy 5 is coming in 2020 and I always forget about that. :laugh: You may be very right about that 'filling in' for Star Wars that year.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You may be very right about that 'filling in' for Star Wars that year.

I just think it makes sense. If Solo had been a resounding smash, they probably would have hurried to date another Star Wars film (possibly even Solo 2, which the ending clearly tried to tee up) for December 2020. But it wasn't. So I really don't see how it benefits Lucasfilm or Disney to rush something half-baked into production for 2020 just to have a Star Wars release there. If they did that, and it ended up being another underperformer, that could do more damage to the brand than help.

Also, "on hold" could mean these projects are on hold for six months or six years or indefinitely. There's a lot we don't know. The scenario that makes sense to me is focus on Episode IX right now, since they really need to stick the landing on that trilogy, and then regroup. If Indy 5 can buy them some time to do that, that can only really be seen as a benefit to Lucasfilm right now.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think it sucks, but more importantly, I think it shows that Lucasfilm has learned the wrong lesson from the disappointing returns of Solo.
I think it shows they learned the right lesson. I'm not saying they should never make a spinoff movie again, but the idea that you have one every other year is just too much -- especially at Solo's budget.

I still bet we see an Obi-Wan spinoff at some point with Ewan McGregor. He's got 17 years until he's Alec Guinness's age, and he's aging far more gracefully, so I don't think there's any great rush. An $80 million movie would make a lot more sense than a $200 million movie, too.

The Johnson and Benioff/Weiss trilogies, that don't have the original trilogy weighing them down like an albatross around their necks, are a far more exciting prospect for this viewer.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I certainly hope this news is true and it kills all these old character spin off films.

Disney is finally waking up. Time to focus on new stories and ideas, not fan service. Solo taught them a valuable lesson.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I certainly hope this news is true and it kills all these old character spin off films.

Disney is finally waking up. Time to focus on new stories and ideas, not fan service. Solo taught them a valuable lesson.
If they really want to focus on new stories and ideas, maybe they should be making something other than Star Wars films.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I think people didn't go see Solo because The Last Jedi was disappointing to them; not because Solo was bad. They wanted to stick it to LF and KK.

I didn't like The Last Jedi and have not seen Solo, not because I wanted to "stick it" to Lucasfilm or Kathleen Kennedy. I have been a fan of the Star Wars universe since I saw the first one in the theater back in 1977. There have been many memories of my youth that somehow translated back to Star Wars in some fashion. Now at my age I have come to the realization that there will be a stepping off point from the franchise, and after The Last Jedi that stepping off point seems to be at a perfect time. I have no interest, or a need, to find out what happens "next".

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
If they really want to focus on new stories and ideas, maybe they should be making something other than Star Wars films.
We’re specifically discussing Disney and Star Wars. Not other Disney projects.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I don't think it's good business to buy a franchise for $4 billion and not use its most beloved characters. Otherwise, you're just using Star Wars as a brand name.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I don't think it's good business to buy a franchise for $4 billion and not use its most beloved characters. Otherwise, you're just using Star Wars as a brand name.
Beloved is very subjective. If Solo, a reasonably well reviewed, well liked film based on one of the most “beloved” characters can’t attract an audience, Disney is wise to acknowledge that these spinoffs are perhaps not smart business decisions.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I think Solo's relative failure was due to the fact that it received a fair bit of negative press, and it followed much too quickly on the heels of the previous Star Wars film, which was itself fairly divisive. I suspect it would have done considerably better had it been released at least a year later and had Lord & Miller completed it, or had Ron Howard directed it from the outset.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If Lucasfilm is able to make a one off film for $100 million instead of $350 million it will be much easier for them to make money. Also SOLO is one movie that nobody really wanted while there actually is a demand for Obi-Wan.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think Solo's relative failure was due to the fact that it received a fair bit of negative press, and it followed much too quickly on the heels of the previous Star Wars film, which was itself fairly divisive. I suspect it would have done considerably better had it been released at least a year later and had Lord & Miller completed it, or had Ron Howard directed it from the outset.
I would agree. I think the behind-the-scenes issues, bad press, and odd scheduling make it a bad example upon which to decide the future of the entire franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks