What's new

Next Star Wars Movie Announcement in January, Director Signed (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I don’t think that’s true at all.

Well, I can't speak for all children just the ones I know and of those kids ranging in age from 5 to 18 not one has an interest in Star Wars. The boys all are into Marvel, some also Harry Potter, and the girls all Potter and Frozen and whatever the teen films are. I spent New Years eve in a house with about 20 kids and there were none with any interest in Star Wars.

I have two nephews with a dad that loved Star Wars and they are the only two kids I know that even have a clue about it but if you ask them if they want to watch it they have no interest. They think it's a dad thing.

Well I have just as useless anecdotal evidence. I have about 10 nieces and nephews between the ages of 4-20 years old and they all love Star Wars.

Go figure.:)
My grandkids who are old enough to know what they like *all* love Star Wars. The 7yo watches the various TV series on Disney + (he desperately wants to see the new movie but his dad, my son and also a huge fan, says "no" - after seeing it I agree) and his 6yo brother joins him on occasion. The 16yo and I saw "The Rise of Skywalker" yesterday - and royally pissed off his 2 sisters (13 and 8) because we went without them (their mom, my daughter, said "Leave them - it's a tradition with you two plus it's PG-13. I'll get your opinion maybe take them later."). He's loved Star Wars since he was old enough to know what it was. His dad and I both exposed him to the movies early on and he loved them (especially Episode 1 but he's come around in recent years). Many of his friends are fans as are many of the 13yo's friends. BUT - they don't obsess over the movies like some of the people who've been on the ride since 1977. They also love Harry Potter, and Frozen, and Marvel, and DC, and many other franchises and individual movies. They generally don't obsess over those either.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Now, I'm having a good chuckle. I might have been nerding out on Star Wars minutiae, but at least it was on details and ideas in these films and TV series, not about fandom and the likes and dislikes of children.

Well, I can't nerd out on the minutia and details because honestly, I don't know or understand them. I only have seen The Last Jedi once and I found it totally forgettable as a film...so when I saw this last film in the series the truth was I had no idea if it was following or not following anything from The Last Jedi. So, when I watched youtube reviews I learned there were people that seemed to think this final film was crapping on The Last Jedi by not following whatever threads were set forth in that film.

That's not in my wheelhouse. I can't and don't keep track.

When some internet person starts ranting about how bringing back Palpatine is a travesty, I really don't know what they mean. When a total freak out occurs over Rey being some kind of relative of Palpatine...I am completely in the dark as to why this is such a violation of "Star Wars canon."

I don't know why the color of someone's light saber matters or what the hell it means. I don't know why it is a big deal if Rey trains or doesn't train or who her trainer is. I don't know why it is a complete and total disaster that Rey can heal a worm or a person or Kylo can move an object or can't or what force rule is being broken or made up or crapped on. Sure, in The Last Jedi where Leia is just sailing along through space that seemed pretty goddamned funny...but I don't know why she should not have been doing it according to "force canon."

I thought they are basically fantasy films set in space about "friends on an adventure" isn't that their appeal?

I can't criticize these films based upon "canon" and whatever rules or force powers should be or are or are not in play.

I listen to the "nerd" videos in an effort to try to get an idea why people like or dislike the film but I have to admit a lot of the criticism is way over my head.

Also the thing that I also don't get is that these movies are not just movies to some of these folks...they are a "lifestyle" choice or something. I can't relate to that.

I do think they are movies for children but they seem more to me to be for the 10 year old boy I once was. I think it is interesting if kids today enjoy something I liked at 10 but I would imagine what gets them excited are stories that have come out while they are alive more than George Lucas films made to play off of Flash Gordon released decades before they were born.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well, I can't nerd out on the minutia and details because honestly, I don't know or understand them. I only have seen The Last Jedi once and I found it totally forgettable as a film...so when I saw this last film in the series the truth was I had no idea if it was following or not following anything from The Last Jedi. So, when I watched youtube reviews I learned there were people that seemed to think this final film was crapping on The Last Jedi by not following whatever threads were set forth in that film.

When some internet person starts ranting about how bringing back Palpatine is a travesty, I really don't know what they mean. When a total freak out occurs over Rey being some kind of relative of Palpatine...I am completely in the dark as to why this is such a violation of "Star Wars canon."

I don't know why the color of someone's light saber matters or what the hell it means. I don't know why it is a big deal if Rey trains or doesn't train or who her trainer is. I don't know why it is a complete and total disaster that Rey can heal a worm or a person or Kylo can move an object or can't or what force rule is being broken or made up or crapped on. Sure, in The Last Jedi where Leia is just sailing along through space that seemed pretty goddamned funny...but I don't know why she should not have been doing it according to "force canon."

I thought they are basically fantasy films set in space about "friends on an adventure" isn't that their appeal?

I can't criticize these films based upon "canon" and whatever rules or force powers should be or are or are not in play.

I listen to the "nerd" videos in an effort to try to get an idea why people like or dislike the film but I have to admit a lot of the criticism is way over my head.

Also the thing that I also don't get is that these movies are not just movies to some of these folks...they are a "lifestyle" choice or something. I can't relate to that.

I do think they are movies for children but they seem more to me to be for the 10 year old boy I once was. I think it is interesting if kids today enjoy something I liked at 10 but I would imagine what gets them excited are stories that have come out while they are alive more than George Lucas films made to play off of Flash Gordon released decades before they were born.
Careful Reggie. Tons of spoilers in this post and this isn’t the ROS Spoiler thread.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Careful Reggie. Tons of spoilers in this post and this isn’t the ROS Spoiler thread.

That is 100% fair and correct. But also, at this point, how likely is it that anyone reading this thread would still be waiting to see Rise of Skywalker?

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
BUT - they don't obsess over the movies like some of the people who've been on the ride since 1977. They also love Harry Potter, and Frozen, and Marvel, and DC, and many other franchises and individual movies. They generally don't obsess over those either.

Who has time to obsess anymore? There's a lot of content out there now. I'm lucky if my 7 year old stays interested in any particular franchise for more than a couple of days before cycling to the next one.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I can and do keep track and even I can't really figure out alot of the consternation from some of the fans.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I just don’t see the MCU and SW to be comparable at all in that respect. If anything, I feel The Mandalorian is as different and radical as I think it’ll get, and that’s all right for me. I mean, I think anything more radically different would have to be doing a sitcom with a laugh track.

*doorbell rings*
Mando: All right kid, that’s the landlord. Hide in the other room, I never paid the pet deposit required to keep you here.
Baby Yoda: You got it dude!
*Baby Yoda gives a thumbs up, studio audience gives out a collective “awwwwwww”. With Baby Yoda sequestered in the other room, Mando answers the door*
Landlord: Mando! I’ve been hearing some strange sounds coming from here! You sure you don’t have a pet living in this place?
Mando (nervously): Uh...no sir, you know I’m not a pet person, and about that late rent check, I’m working on this bounty and just got a hot lead...
*Baby Yoda coos and laughs in the other room. Landlord jerks his head in the direction of the sound then turns indignantly back to Mando*
Landlord: Mandoooooo.......!!!
*studio audience “oooooooo”s.*
Mando: Uh, you see sir, I can explain, uh...
*Mando quickly grabs the landlord and throws him in an export space in the wall and presses some buttons. White vapor appears and covers the landlord. After the vapor clears, we see the landlord frozen in carbonate, and just then Baby Yoda comes out and stares in shock.*
Baby Yoda (to Mando): You’re in BIG TROUBLE MISTER!
*studio audience laughs and Mando turns and shrugs at the camera*

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If it's a movie, I'm sure that's a theatrical release.

I can't see Disney making a Star Wars film for Disney+. Series, yes, but not a big-budget blockbuster-level movie, and that's all Disney seems to want from Star Wars on the film side.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So here we are almost in March and of course......

No new Star Wars film has been announced or director have been signed.

What a surprise............said no one. ;)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think it’s finally dawning on Disney that scarcity is a good thing with Star Wars. If they had given the new trilogy the three years between films spacing that other trilogies got, the second and especially third films would have probably done bigger business.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks