What's new

Future "A Star Wars Story" Spin-off Films Reportedly Put on Hold by Disney/LucasFilm (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Good point and he even says that he was kicked out of the pilot academy so he would have likely gained the basic knowledge of space flight.

If someone is looking for an 'in-universe' explanation of the parsec line, it's that success in the Kessel Run is determined by how short of a distance you need to do complete the run. If someone is looking for a 'real world' explanation, I think it's likely that Lucas screwed up.

As I mention in my other post, people have argued about this for decades.

It might just be a Lucas screw-up, but it's also possible he originally meant it as a subtle way to show what a blowhard Han was - ie, throwing out a piece of nonsense that sounds impressive to dazzle the unknowledeable.

Amazing to me people still debate this after all this time! :D

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Where's a good "beating a dead horse" emoticon when you need one?

Last edited:

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It might just be a Lucas screw-up, but it's also possible he originally meant it as a subtle way to show what a blowhard Han was - ie, throwing out a piece of nonsense that sounds impressive to dazzle the unknowledeable.
In short, it's nonsense no matter what the explanation is. That's really all I've been saying.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Your question got lost in a 40-year-old argument about parsecs, but I'll bite! :D

At issue is how we define "direct connection to the OT", which I would interpret as meaning "story that involves one or more OT characters or strongly linked plot points".

I don't see "Rogue One" as tangential at all. It's a direct prequel to the events in "Star Wars" and it features a number of OT characters (Tarkin, Vader, Leia) and locations. Crud, I'd argue "Solo" is more tangential than "R1"!

I think there are plenty of "'Star Wars' stories" that could be told outside of how I define a "direct connection", but others' definition may differ.

For instance, I think there are plenty of stories about the Rebels or the Empire that could occur, and we could get tales of the Jedi from the years prior to even the PT.

I would view those as being without a "direct connection", but others could argue they still line up with the OT.

So some may see "no direct connection" as meaning nothing about Jedi or the Empire or the Rebels or any of the concepts advanced in the OT.

That kind of movie could exist, but it'd be a tough sell, I think. There needs to be some grounding in OT themes/situations to still be "Star Wars", IMO, but I think a "'Star Wars' movie" could break from clear links to the characters we know already...
I love Solo, but after seeing Rogue One I would totally prefer movies like that, which are directly "connected" to the series but fleshing these ideas out with mostly new characters and feel generally stand alone otherwise. Rogue One is a SW masterpiece in my eyes, and I've gotten a lump in my throat the couple of times I've watch ANH since R1 came out, reading that first paragraph of the opening crawl. I never thought in my life such an amazing "untold story" so to speak could have been concocted from that quick reference to rebel spies having stole plans to the death star. Makes me wonder what other things could be thought up.

Though I admit, I'd happily go see an Obi-wan or Boba Fett films also.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I love Solo, but after seeing Rogue One I would totally prefer movies like that, which are directly "connected" to the series but fleshing these ideas out with mostly new characters and feel generally stand alone otherwise. Rogue One is a SW masterpiece in my eyes, and I've gotten a lump in my throat the couple of times I've watch ANH since R1 came out, reading that first paragraph of the opening crawl. I never thought in my life such an amazing "untold story" so to speak could have been concocted from that quick reference to rebel spies having stole plans to the death star. Makes me wonder what other things could be thought up.

Though I admit, I'd happily go see an Obi-wan or Boba Fett films also.

I always thought "R1" was a story no one really ever cared to hear. Not that it's an unworthy story, but I don't think many people wondered how the Rebels got the Death Star plans.

I didn't like "R1" much theatrically - I've warmed up to it since then but it's still not a movie that does a lot for me.

I'd probably prefer some "Star Wars" movies that don't directly connect to the existing movies. What's next, the Bothan spies as they get the plans for the 2nd Death Star? :D

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I always thought "R1" was a story no one really ever cared to hear. Not that it's an unworthy story, but I don't think many people wondered how the Rebels got the Death Star plans.

I didn't like "R1" much theatrically - I've warmed up to it since then but it's still not a movie that does a lot for me.

I'd probably prefer some "Star Wars" movies that don't directly connect to the existing movies. What's next, the Bothan spies as they get the plans for the 2nd Death Star? :D
Oh yeah, I'd love to see as many non-connected stand alones that they can throw at us too. I just hope they are financially successful enough so we get as many as possible (the pre-prequels era of the jedi interests me very much). I'm sorry you didn't like R1 as much. I certainly never thought it necessary to show the rebel spies stealing the plans, but it executed in such a way that very much captivated me. It amazes me that the production was riddled with so many problems because it's such a great film in my eyes. But yeah, a movie about the Bothan spies would feel super redundant after R1.

I don't know how much has been said about them, but is there anything known about what time-era the Rian trilogy and the GoT-guys trilogy are suppose to take place? I thought those were said to be quite removed story-wise from the Episode I-IX saga.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't know how much has been said about them, but is there anything known about what time-era the Rian trilogy and the GoT-guys trilogy are suppose to take place? I thought those were said to be quite removed story-wise from the Episode I-IX saga.
Yeah, they haven't announced when in the SW timeline that those movies will take place. I assume that they will be far enough removed that they can do their own thing without having to worry about Skywalkers or the Clone Wars or Death Stars or Rey, etc.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That can't be right because I saw a bunch of You Tube videos where random guys wearing tinfoil hats were connecting all the totally dots of unfounded rumors that said that she was going to be fired.

No doubt those champs will say that she just got the extension for Disney & Star Wars to save face or because they were scared to fire a woman and not admit that they're a bunch of dopes who were wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks