What's new

Future "A Star Wars Story" Spin-off Films Reportedly Put on Hold by Disney/LucasFilm (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
They’re just trying to save face and delay the inevitablle cancellation of these spin offs.

In. My. Opinion. ;)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
That would be the worst. Anakin Skywalker's story has already been told from age 9 to death.

If between the prequels, and OT it could work.

Look how fans reacted at his brief moment in Rogue One. They absolutely loved it. Now imagine a two hour movie with more moments like that. It could work for sure.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Also, Tino, Disney's consumer research surely shows that there is a very sizable audience that grew up with and loves the prequels. An Obi-Wan movie could bridge the gap between the prequels and OT and have a substantial audience. I'll go so far as to say there is no way it doesn't get made without McGregor.

There's an audience at least as large, and probably larger, that thinks the prequels are lousy. Hence the schism between those who eagerly look forward to seeing anything with the name Star Wars on it, and those who view things with far more skepticism.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This rumor is apparently sourced from a guy who overheard people talking at E3 about an unnamed movie "about a tall costumed character". That does fit Darth Vader but it also fits, say, Iron Man or Batman or Chewbacca...

http://www.theforce.net/story/front...ret_Unannounced_Star_Wars_Spinoffs_181104.asp

I find it hard to believe that these guys from a name-redacted VFX house (read: ILM) were too dumb to make sure that they wouldn't be overheard (at E3 of all places!) but were careful enough to speak in code and not say the name of the movie or character.

Personally, I would pick alot of other characters than Darth Vader to see a movie about but, as Bryan said, people LOVED the Vader scene in Rogue One. Multiple scenes of Vader kicking ass is sure to be an audience pleaser. Beyond that Vader's story has been told, the problem with Vader is that he's not very talkative so you've got to bring in other characters so there can be some form of talking. Then it becomes a comedy because the new characters are fish out of water (they can't be stodgy military men) and trying to not be nervous around this violent maniac who can kill at ease. If they want to use Darth Vader, I'd rather see him make a guest appearance in a TV show (though that Favreau show is apparently set after ROTJ so, barring a flashback, that counts that one out) like they very successfully did on Rebels.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Look how fans reacted at his brief moment in Rogue One. They absolutely loved it. Now imagine a two hour movie with more moments like that. It could work for sure.
If you boil it down, though, Darth Vader during that period isn't really an interesting character. Those years consisted of:
  • Hunting down innocents.
  • Brooding about Padmé's death.
  • Being the Emperor's lapdog.
Part of why Darth Vader is such a cool bad guy is because we only see him at his bad ass moments. I think the law of diminishing returns would apply here, in a big way.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
With the purchase of Lucasfilm, does Disney have access to the entire SW expanded universe, or just the characters from the original six films?

I'm not a huge SW fanatic, but I did love the Timothy Zahn books with Grand Admiral Thrawn. I'd love to see that trilogy adapted into films.

The existing filmed characters have been done to death. We've been living with them for over 40 years. They need to inject some new characters and plots into the SW film universe to freshen things up. I'm not sure additional films about the same old well-worn characters would be worthwhile.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
If you boil it down, though, Darth Vader during that period isn't really an interesting character. Those years consisted of:
  • Hunting down innocents.
  • Brooding about Padmé's death.
  • Being the Emperor's lapdog.
Part of why Darth Vader is such a cool bad guy is because we only see him at his bad ass moments. I think the law of diminishing returns would apply here, in a big way.

So true. I enjoyed the Prequels when they were released. Time hasn't been as kind to them. Actually I find myself wishing for one film that combined all 3. In most cases less is more and part of what made Darth Vader such an iconic character from the OT was the MYSTERY behind his fall. It was just pretty epic we started this story in the middle. That alone was GENIUS.

Same for the wonderful LOTR. When Jackson went back to make the Hobbit he tried to connect the LOTR too much to the Hobbit. Way too much excess just like the prequels.

I'm rambling way too much myself :) But yeah we don't need a Vader film.

I liked Solo. Really did. Not sure how I feel about an Obi Wan film.

Actually Rogue One is among the best Star Wars films...and I loved TFA & TLJ...just want Lucasfilm to stay focused on those.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
With the purchase of Lucasfilm, does Disney have access to the entire SW expanded universe, or just the characters from the original six films?

I'm not a huge SW fanatic, but I did love the Timothy Zahn books with Grand Admiral Thrawn. I'd love to see that trilogy adapted into films.
Yeah, they have everything and periodically use things from the EU. They've already used Thrawn in the Rebels animated show. The character is basically the same (he's a tactical genius, studies the art of his enemies, etc.) but they don't use the stories from those books.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
I think I'd enjoy a film about Vader hunting down the last known Jedi. Who knows, the scene in Rogue One with Vader in the bacta tank could be the results of just such an adventure.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
These stories are getting more ridiculous by the minute.

Another Vader film?? Really?

How absurd.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah, I feel like Vader has been covered extensively by the main saga. His cameo in Rogue One was cool, but as a major character he's had the first six films about him.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Today I asked my kids (both age 9) which Star Wars characters they'd like to see have their own movies. They said: Yoda, R2-D2, Chewbacca, Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, and a Jedi origin movie.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Seriously I’m waiting for the announcement of a young Skywalker film.

Star Wars is getting less special every day. How incredibly sad. :(

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Oh for pity's sake. So if each and every Star Wars film can't gross a billion dollars worldwide, they're just gonna take their ball and go home? Jeez, don't be so frickin' greedy, Disney! Maybe adjust your budget a little and make good SW movies on a smaller scale and reap the rewards. Success doesn't have to mean breaking records!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks