What's new

Frozen 3D Bungle?! (1 Viewer)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
MatthewA said:
I got mine today with no slipcovers whatsoever.
From what I've read, the no slipcover thing appears to be limited to just Amazon UK. Other sellers like HMV, Sainsbury's, Tesco, and Asda all carry the slipcover version. Plus, Zaavi issued an exclusive steelbook version. So, the UK gets two different 3D package configurations and the US gets none. Sounds about right...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Paul Hillenbrand said:
The change is significant for collectors of library art for consumer home shelves. More significant because of a billion dollar animation feature that Disney is not encouraging by providing artistic physical ownership value. Has anyone commented about receiving a UK slip-cover?
Slipcovers are library art and they add artistic physical ownership value? Oh brother. :rolleyes:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
pitchman said:
Believe it or not, I'm normally not anal about things like this. The slipcover was just the tipping point this time around. As mentioned, I already picked up the Frozen 2D combo pack with the Target exclusive bonus disc, so it's not like I don't already have a copy of the movie. Like several others here, I had originally pre-ordered the US 3D combo pack on Amazon. When Disney suddenly scrapped that release, my Amazon pre-order also got cancelled. When it became clear that North America was the only region to not be getting a 3D release, I pre-ordered it from Amazon UK. Since that time, we've now gotten sort of (semi) confirmation that a "deluxe" 3D version is coming later in the year. Besides the 3D Blu-ray, the UK version doesn't provide me with anything I don't already have. The "Fall" release is purported to...but, only time will tell on that count. If I were to keep my Amazon UK pre-order, I'd already be in to Frozen for roughly $50. To spend another $25-$30 later in the year for the version that Disney should have put out in the first place, is something I'm not willing to do. It's bad enough they got me on the hook to double-dip (which more and more seems was their plan in the first place), but to triple-dip on Frozen? No way. As always, YMMV...
I get you don't want to triple dip, hell, I don't want to double-dip. Short of the rumored US 3D release containing a commentary where the filmmakers sit down next to me on my couch, I won't be buying it. I'll single dip with the UK version.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I gotta say, slipcovers always provide more value to the Blu-ray product.

I am looking at just one of my collection shelves right now and can say
that the movies with the slipcovers are the ones that really stand out.

I notice some studios take away the slipcover once the disc price drops.
For instance, American Beauty was a Paramount Sapphire Series release
with slip cover. When I recently bought it for under $10 it arrived naked.

I would have preferred a slipcover on this U.K. release. However, nothing
surprises me anymore when it comes to Disney and the manner in which
they are releasing their product.

I am just looking forward to watching my copy over the weekend.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
You'll find that Europeans tend to be very averse to excess packaging. When I used to buy import CDs from the UK back in the late 80s-early 90s, they were never wrapped in plastic, much less in the notorious "longboxes", which were supposed to be a theft deterrent in addition to making it easier for retailers to display titles in old LP bins. I would not be surprised to find that the same rationale applies to slipcases

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We're showing 'Frozen' (along with 'Saving Mr. Banks') in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater this weekend. This combo has proven, by far, to be our most popular pairing in the 2+ years we've been operating the Booth Bijou. All 22 spots were "sold out" in less than 24 hours and we've got eight people on a waiting list in case anyone cancels.

Can't wait to see 'Frozen' (and 'Saving Mr. Banks') again!

Mark

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Johnny Angell said:
Slipcovers are library art and they add artistic physical ownership value? Oh brother. :rolleyes:
I never thought the Slipcover-Bronies would spill over into HTF. ;)
Over on BR.com it's a full colony, and we have to keep reminding them that "Slipcovers are like mattress tags: The stores have to keep them on to sell, but there's no law against tearing them off once you get home."

(Especially since the case back under the slipcover is either meant to be identical, or a more artistic cover without sales information.
That's probably why those neat lenticular covers can detach from the cardboard, and you can put them inside the case if you want...What, some people actually don't??)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
MatthewA said:
I got mine today with no slipcovers whatsoever.
You live in CA and I'm in AR, you'd think that if you have yours already, I'd have mine. Amazon gave me an estimated arrival date of 4/9, do you remember what yours was?

My shipments from Amazon have always been rather slow. One time, even Amazon agreed my copy of Ben-Hur was lost and shipped a replacement. Couple days after the replacement was shipped the original arrived. I informed Amazon and they told me to keep both. Made for a nice gift.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you think slipcover people are crazy...

I was just recently given a copy of the Dumbo BD+DVD combo, only it's the version in the DVD-size case instead of the BD-case (both were available when the BD originally came out), and I'm trying to find someone who has the BD-case version to trade with me.

At least I know I'm totally crazy!

No Frozen shipment from Amazon UK for me yet (I'm in New York), but I'm guessing it'll be here soon, got shipment notice earlier in the week. Whenever I order from Amazon UK it seems to either arrive a couple days later or a couple months later, with no middle ground. But I'm hoping to see this next week, so fingers crossed that it shows up at some point soon-ish.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
In my experience with Amazon UK, if the item ships Royal Mail, it will arrive in 6-10 days. If they ship it DHL, it can easily 25-35 days.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
pitchman said:
In my experience with Amazon UK, if the item ships Royal Mail, it will arrive in 6-10 days. If they ship it DHL, it can easily 25-35 days.
I think Amazon UK has dumped DHL since all it ever did was cause problems. I don't think I've gotten a DHL shipment in over a year now -- at least since they lost my first Hitchcock Limited Edition set. To their credit they reshipped after 8 weeks and a declared lost package and sent it 3 day shipping which must have been a massive $$$ (or £££) hit.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Josh Steinberg said:

I was just recently given a copy of the Dumbo BD+DVD combo, only it's the version in the DVD-size case instead of the BD-case (both were available when the BD originally came out), and I'm trying to find someone who has the BD-case version to trade with me.

No Frozen shipment from Amazon UK for me yet (I'm in New York), but I'm guessing it'll be here soon, got shipment notice earlier in the week. Whenever I order from Amazon UK it seems to either arrive a couple days later or a couple months later, with no middle ground. But I'm hoping to see this next week, so fingers crossed that it shows up at some point soon-ish.
when I read this I knew I had at least one blu-ray in the dvd packaging and I found two: Toy Story 1 & 2. I don't know how I sleep at nights knowing that's on one of my shelves. :P

There is one thing that really pisses me off about my Toy Story blu-rays: when I bought the 3D set of all three, I thought I could get rid of my 2D only sets. Than I discovered that the 3D set is bare bones, no 2D versions and no extras. I've gotta keep my 2D versions.

Damn Disney.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ronald Epstein said:
I gotta say, slipcovers always provide more value to the Blu-ray product.

I am looking at just one of my collection shelves right now and can say
that the movies with the slipcovers are the ones that really stand out.
I've got two Blu-Ray cases that really stand out and I like to display. The tins for the DVDs of KIng Kong and Forbidden planet, they don't make them like that any more. Yeah, they're DVD tins but I keep the blu-rays in them. I don't really dig steel books, but these are more than that. They're big and have beautiful art. The King Kong tin is embossed.

If all blu-ray cases were done this well, the custom-cover sites would go out of business. I would buy more packaging like this if they came close to equaling these two.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Johnny Angell said:
when I read this I knew I had at least one blu-ray in the dvd packaging and I found two: Toy Story 1 & 2. I don't know how I sleep at nights knowing that's on one of my shelves. :P

There is one thing that really pisses me off about my Toy Story blu-rays: when I bought the 3D set of all three, I thought I could get rid of my 2D only sets. Than I discovered that the 3D set is bare bones, no 2D versions and no extras. I've gotta keep my 2D versions.

Damn Disney.
That 3D only set is ridiculous, in my opinion. It's a lot of money to pay for single disc for titles where the bonus features already exist. If the point of the set is for people who already own all the 2D versions and special features to pick up the 3D versions to go along with them, it should be priced a lot lower than it is.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this next point -- I've never read or heard anything to contradict my understanding of the Blu-ray specs as set by the BDA. In order for a disc to be called "Blu-ray" and allowed to use the logo (in other words, for a commercial disc to be released), the association requires all BD3D discs to be backwards compatible. Initially the standard was that each disc had to include both the 2D and 3D version. It was my understanding that a loophole allowed for the combo pack releases where a 3D disc only played 3D, and the 2D only played 2D, but it was the presence of the 2D disc in the set that allowed them to still call the disc a Blu-ray and have it approved.

It would seem to me that Disney's Oz The Great And Powerful, and their Toy Story set, violate this by not including a 2D version. (That some 3D players can do 2D playback is irrelevant here, because the 3D disc wouldn't even load up in a 2D-only player.)

Seems simple, all BD3D discs are supposed to be backwards-compatible. Is this standard simply not being enforced, or am I misunderstanding the whole thing?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Josh, I pretty much agree with your post. A 3D only and no extras set is ridiculous. I remember paying $66 for the set and thought it was a great deal. That was because I assumed this was a standard 3D release with both 2D and the extras. I kept the set because it was cheaper than buying them individually and I did have the 2Ds.

This is a prime example of how Disney treats its customers, how they want to suck every drop of $$ out of you.

On another note, I received my 3D Frozen today. It's 5 days ahead of their projected date. It arrived so early that it was a big surprise when I opened our mailbox. I believe it was Royal Mail.

Something I've never noticed before is that the mailer with contained references to all of the Amazon foreign domains.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Josh Steinberg said:

If you call Disney customer service and ask nicely, they might send you the BD case for it. They once sent me a new DVD case when a very little cousin messed it up.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
When buying 3D discs on eBay, I always ask if the 3D lenticular slipcover is included. You can also buy just the slipcover - some sell for over $10

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks