Frozen 3D Bungle?!

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Brett_B said:
Out of curiousity, are there others that have NOT received their copy of "Frozen" from Amazon UK?

I received my "shipping" notification on March 29, and I see that others in the US had received their's last week.
Sometimes, it can be about ten days, other times, it can take another week depending on where you live and other circumstances.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
bob kaplan
I had the same shipping notification. Living in NYS I thought I would be among the first to receive the disc (bragging rights are so important!! :) ). But have not receive mine at this time. Wonder where the shipment arrives in this country Thought it would be New York City....but Chicago perhaps??...and then sent out from there?

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Robert Crawford said:
Sometimes, it can be about ten days, other times, it can take another week depending on where you live and other circumstances.
bob kaplan said:
I had the same shipping notification. Living in NYS I thought I would be among the first to receive the disc (bragging rights are so important!! :) ). But have not receive mine at this time. Wonder where the shipment arrives in this country Thought it would be New York City....but Chicago perhaps??...and then sent out from there?
Thanks for the responses, Robert and Bob. It just struck me as odd that a member from Arkansas received their's last week. It is a little comforting that others are waiting as well.

RolandL

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Ronald Epstein said:
I agree with you, Johnny. Thank you for pointing that out.

I just got my copy from the U.K. this afternoon. I watched the first 5 minutes of the film just
to see what everyone was talking about, then I went and watched the short, "Get A Horse."

The short is a lot of fun. Very clever. There are a lot of "pop-out" moments.

The beginning of the film, with the saw going through the ice has another "pop-out" moment.

...but none of that pop-out is major.

Are the "pop-out" scenes in "Get A Horse" major?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Are the "pop-out" scenes in "Get A Horse" major?
In my professional opinion....no.

They probably worked better in the theater as already suggested.

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Ronald Epstein said:
The beginning of the film, with the saw going through the ice has another "pop-out" moment.

...but none of that pop-out is major.

I don't want to bring down the enthusiasm of everyone. I wonder how many people have seen
[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]what real pop-out should look like. [/color]

Forgive me for bringing this up over and over again, but everyone needs to see Chapter 3 of
IMAX: UNDER THE SEA. If not that, A TURTLE'S TALE (Region 2).

That is what major pop-out is all about. Major pop-out is when objects seemingly come so far
out of the screen that it hovers inches from your nose. Outside of the two titles I mentioned above,
nobody has done 3D pop-out, as well pronounced, in any major film that I am aware of.

Second best selections (not nearly as good) are A TURTLE'S TALE 2 (U.S.A.) or the ending
sequence to DESPICABLE ME or DESPICABLE ME 2.
(Available in the USA)..........

I just would like to give everyone an idea of how GREAT 3D pop-out should strive to be -- and
the only way to really know what it is all about, is to check out the titles I mentioned above.

I just get a little down when people call this major pop-out. Trust me, it's moderate.

...and my apologies for getting a little riled up about this. All of you know how much of a
3D advocate I have become and how disappointed I am with the direction Hollywood has
gone in making this format as entertaining as it could be.
A big problem with great 3D pop-out perception is that consumer's do not see it on the same playing field with a universal 3D format. We are not viewing 3D on the same calibrated equipment, using the same technology or optimizing the same viewing positions. Additionally we get inept ideas from the Hollywood powers-that-be:
Lasseter: “There were 3D cartoons done in the 1950s…”
My Thoughts: “Yes there were. And they looked great – like old Viewmaster slides come to life!”
Lasseter (in a negative way): “…but they were old fashioned and looked like Viewmaster slides…”
My Thoughts: “But… but… that was COOL!”
Lasseter: “Luckily, we figured out a new way to create 3D out of hand drawn cartoons…”
My thoughts: “But… but… it doesn’t need a “new way”. MELODY looked incredible…”
Lasseter: “Instead of flat art, we’ve figured out a way to round the edges…”
My thoughts: “That doesn’t sound good…”
Lasseter: “This isn’t your father’s 3D cartoon…”
My thoughts while watching the clip: “Oh. My. God.”
Source: Jerry Beck 11-8-2011

Reactions: John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
John Maher
Brett_B said:
Thanks for the responses, Robert and Bob. It just struck me as odd that a member from Arkansas received their's last week. It is a little comforting that others are waiting as well.
Definitely waiting.

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I am still waiting on my copy from the UK. Being east coast, I thought it would be sooner than those west of here. I did contact Amazon UK, and they said if I do not receive it by the 17th, (!), they will ship another copy. I sure wish "Royal Mail" had tracking.

Kevin EK

Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
My copy of Frozen 3D arrived yesterday. I was fine to wait til now to see it.
Really a shame that Disney didn't just put it out in a normal fashion here in the US, but if they want to play games like this, we at least had this option.
And I appreciate HTF all the more for making me aware that the option existed in the first place.

Reactions: Mark Cappelletty

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Kevin EK said:
My copy of Frozen 3D arrived yesterday. I was fine to wait til now to see it.
Really a shame that Disney didn't just put it out in a normal fashion here in the US, but if they want to play games like this, we at least had this option.
And I appreciate HTF all the more for making me aware that the option existed in the first place.
I couldn't agree more. I have never ordered from another region, but after reading this thread (and my desire to see this film in 3D - missed it in theaters) I decided to give it a chance. I just wish that Disney wouldn't play games with loyal customers. What Disney did with this release lowers my respect for them in general.

My copy just arrived in today's mail, so that is a definite relief.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Will we be receiving an HTF review of the UK set?
Not certain. I probably won't get around to watching it until
Sunday. Other members have already watched theirs.
It's not like I got an early copy on this one.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Doug Bull
My UK copy arrived here in Australia yesterday.

I had a quick look last night and have to say that it looks and sounds fabulous. The 3D is super special.

Why Disney have held back the 3D edition in the USA is inconceivable and a great injustice to the many thousands of Disney loyal customers.

(As a matter of interest, although not released here in Australia yet, we will be getting the 3D version)

Doug.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Sam
Brett_B said:
Just be glad the cost of international first class didn't triple this year.Evergreen(which flew 60% of Hamburg/ London to Fargo/Indianapolis) folded up shop.Several other airlines lost their CAC status(contract air carrier).So...who carries the mail now?Qantas, Delta, Air France, British Airways...Next time you fly and your flight takes off between 10pm and 4am...don't be surprised if your bag gets bumped...for mail.

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Matthew
I watched it last night with my new 3D projector. The cost never bothered me anyway.

Reactions: Johnny Angell

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
John Maher
Mine arrived yesterday. Watched it last night, along with the cartoon short. The short was a great toon, but I found the 3D weak. The feature was very good and the 3D (depth) was fairly excellent. Nice sound design, and an overall enjoyable experience. Lots of lost opportunities for pop-out. Sort of amazed at it's overwhelming success, although I can certainly understand why little girls would adore it. I place it firmly in the middle of Disney's animated films. Better than some, not as good as others. Of course that's so subjective, and it's such a well-made film, that I can only be happy for its tremendous success.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
MatthewA said:
I watched it last night with my new 3D projector. The cost never bothered me anyway.
:lol:
John Maher_289910 said:
Mine arrived yesterday. Watched it last night, along with the cartoon short. The short was a great toon, but I found the 3D weak. The feature was very good and the 3D (depth) was fairly excellent. Nice sound design, and an overall enjoyable experience. Lots of lost opportunities for pop-out. Sort of amazed at it's overwhelming success, although I can certainly understand why little girls would adore it. I place it firmly in the middle of Disney's animated films. Better than some, not as good as others. Of course that's so subjective, and it's such a well-made film, that I can only be happy for its tremendous success.
I agree that the short seemed to have less 3D than the theater, don't know why that would be. As for the 3D, it was not over-whelming, but I was whelmed. :P

Had this been a 2D movie only, I think it still would have been a huge success. It's a great film. It tells a familiar Disney story that isn't quite so familiar. The animation is great, it's got great songs. I can't think of a moment that's off. Sometimes you watch a movie and you think "oh, why did they do that?" No moment like that here, at least for me.

If I could change one thing about it, I would make those big eyes a scosh smaller.

I don't want to get into ranking it. How can I compare it to movies that have had decades to entrench their status into my mind? I'm sure this one will find it's proper spot, and it will be high.

There is one moment in the film, that when I first watched it, really caught my attention. When the Queen is singing "Let it Go", I realized she was performing like a singer on a stage. I liked it, because it made her more human.

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Matthew
If I could change one thing about it, I would make those big eyes a scosh smaller.
I was in a sheet music store one day a few weeks ago, and I overheard two women talking about this film. One of them said she disliked modern Disney films because the characters' eyes were too big. But this isn't new. Has she watched Bambi lately? Or The Little Mermaid?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
MatthewA said:
I was in a sheet music store one day a few weeks ago, and I overheard two women talking about this film. One of them said she disliked modern Disney films because the characters' eyes were too big. But this isn't new. Has she watched Bambi lately? Or The Little Mermaid?
Yes, it's not new, but it seemed like Frozen was just a little more. How about Beauty and the Beast? I don't recall the eyes being so big there.But I still love the film.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topreplay