What's new

Frozen 3D Bungle?! (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The blu-rays in DVD cases drive me crazy. We have a few that were gifts to my kids. Terrible idea.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
Now that some of you have received their UK copies can anyone confirm that "Get a Horse" is in 3D as well? I still cannot find absolute confirmation of this.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
DennisBassi said:
Now that some of you have received their UK copies can anyone confirm that "Get a Horse" is in 3D as well? I still cannot find absolute confirmation of this.
Absolutely YES!! And it looks marvelous in 3D!! Though it is not listed on the back of the case, it also appears in 2D on the extras of the 2D Blu-ray.

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
Well, I received my copy from Amazon UK on Friday, popped it in last night, and --

The disc did not recognize my Panasonic player as being 3D capable! Same thing happened with Brave, Captain America, and Hugo.

There hasn't been a firmware update for my player for several years, so I guess it's time for a new one.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Kenneth_C said:
Well, I received my copy from Amazon UK on Friday, popped it in last night, and --

The disc did not recognize my Panasonic player as being 3D capable! Same thing happened with Brave, Captain America, and Hugo.

There hasn't been a firmware update for my player for several years, so I guess it's time for a new one.
Just a suggestion, but you might try checking here for a firmware update:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/bd/index.html

Mark

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
No one has watched this, yet? I keep reading about slipcases! I want to read about the quality of the disc. The 3D, etc. Anyone?

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
John Maher_289910 said:
No one has watched this, yet? I keep reading about slipcases! I want to read about the quality of the disc. The 3D, etc. Anyone?
IMO, The Frozen Blu-ray 3D exhibits excellent CGI clarity with medium strength 3D.

The 3D strength comparison I give it comes from observing the 3D similarity of when Elsa shoots streams of frozen gusts-of-snow through the air as she's climbing a mountain, now free from the burden of not being able to use her powers. It is exactly like the sand-swells sweeping-through-the-air in Dreamworks: Rise of the Guardians. Guardian's 3D is more intense by the way the sand streams travel farther dimensionally-wise . The "brakes" are definitely put on Frozen's 3D variable image parameter points, the artists apparently following strict guidelines set by the Disney-powers-that-be.

That being said, the movie is still a total 3D experience-thrill for me in almost every scene sequence, and I would miss the visual emotion greatly if I only could view the 2D version.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was in Tesco today, they were selling Frozen 3D ( and 2D ) with slipcovers, that slipcover almost got me buying it.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I have not seen the 3D version, but I think the opening sequence with the saws cutting through the ice is a perfect candidate for a major pop-out effect. I would hope there is at least one there. I always enjoy Disney/Pixar 3D films, but in general, they tend to concentrate more on image depth than pop-out, especially compared to ImageWorks, Universal, etc.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
While what I love about 3D is the depth it affords the film, I do think studios have gone out of their way to avoid the pop-out, which is unfortunate. A couple per film would be more than welcomed!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
John Maher_289910 said:
While what I love about 3D is the depth it affords the film, I do think studios have gone out of their way to avoid the pop-out, which is unfortunate. A couple per film would be more than welcomed!
Amen to that, i so agree with you.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
pitchman said:
I have not seen the 3D version, but I think the opening sequence with the saws cutting through the ice is a perfect candidate for a major pop-out effect. I would hope there is at least one there.
The first puncture of the saw going into the ice from an underneath-the-ice view, is a coming-at-you pop-out moment. ;)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Paul Hillenbrand said:
The first puncture of the saw going into the ice from an underneath-the-ice view, is a coming-at-you pop-out moment. ;)
I agree, but it's a moderate in-your-face moment. However, the 3D does add to what is a wonderful film.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I agree, but it's a moderate in-your-face moment. However, the 3D does add to what is a wonderful film.
I agree with you, Johnny. Thank you for pointing that out.

I just got my copy from the U.K. this afternoon. I watched the first 5 minutes of the film just
to see what everyone was talking about, then I went and watched the short, "Get A Horse."

The short is a lot of fun. Very clever. There are a lot of "pop-out" moments.

The beginning of the film, with the saw going through the ice has another "pop-out" moment.

...but none of that pop-out is major.

I don't want to bring down the enthusiasm of everyone. I wonder how many people have seen
[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]what real pop-out should look like. [/color]

Forgive me for bringing this up over and over again, but everyone needs to see Chapter 3 of
IMAX: UNDER THE SEA. If not that, A TURTLE'S TALE (Region 2).

That is what major pop-out is all about. Major pop-out is when objects seemingly come so far
out of the screen that it hovers inches from your nose. Outside of the two titles I mentioned above,
nobody has done 3D pop-out, as well pronounced, in any major film that I am aware of.

Second best selections (not nearly as good) are A TURTLE'S TALE 2 (U.S.A.) or the ending
sequence to DESPICABLE ME or DESPICABLE ME 2.
(Available in the USA).

Even those titles have more prominent pop-out than anything I have seen thus far on the
Frozen 3D disc.

...not to say that the 3D doesn't seem to be exceptional. I was pretty taken back by the amount
of depth in Frozen. It looks spectacular. I hope to watch the whole thing tomorrow.

I just would like to give everyone an idea of how GREAT 3D pop-out should strive to be -- and
the only way to really know what it is all about, is to check out the titles I mentioned above.

I just get a little down when people call this major pop-out. Trust me, it's moderate.

...and my apologies for getting a little riled up about this. All of you know how much of a
3D advocate I have become and how disappointed I am with the direction Hollywood has
gone in making this format as entertaining as it could be.

That Mickey Mouse short had potential. The animators played it safe, in my opinion.

Tip:

Just for the level of pop-out, buying Under The Sea from Amazon might be the best
$23 you spend this month. Guaranteed you will be showing it off to your friends.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The opening Dreamworks logo probably has more pop out, their new one seen on Rise Of The Guardians also had a lot of pop out as does the film, anyone who likes great sound mixes will love that movie too, i also remember the snake from The Final Destination and some good moments from Journey To The Center Of The Earth, Madagascar 3, Monsters Vs Aliens and Open Season.

Oh and of course, as mentioned above, the best 3D i have ever seen, A Turtles Tale, not watched the sequel yet, i will sometime.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Ronald Epstein said:
The short is a lot of fun. Very clever. There are a lot of "pop-out" moments.
That Mickey Mouse short had potential. The animators played it safe, in my opinion.
The pop-out was better in the theater, since it created the illusion that the characters actually HAD
popped out onto "stage" in front of the screen,
which gave it more of a park 3D-attraction feel.
I've seen it at home (on PS3 Store), and it doesn't have that same in-theater effect.

And am I the only animation fan who spotted some, er, similarities to Osamu Tezuka's "Broken Down Film"?

(Although, ahem, wouldn't be the first time Disney tried to file the serial numbers off of Tezuka classics...)

FoxyMulder said:
The opening Dreamworks logo probably has more pop out, their new one seen on Rise Of The Guardians also had a lot of pop out as does the film
Dreamworks, bless their jealous, greedy hearts, knows how to use 3D if they think it'll sell CGI.
"Monsters vs. Aliens" might've first used the "50's sci-fi homage" gimmick as an excuse to bring 3D in on the Polar Express/Chicken Little bandwagon, but they made sure we knew it was in the film. (Always like to put that one in once in a while to remind myself what good living-room pop-out looks like.)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
@Ejanss

Yes i forgot about The Polar Express, it has a really good scene where the ticket comes flying out into your room with wolves running in the snow. I think people with projection screens will get the most out of 3D films, for example the pop out moments in Journey To The Center Of the Earth are far more effective at 100+ inches projected rather than on my 60 inch plasma.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ronald Epstein said:
The beginning of the film, with the saw going through the ice has another "pop-out" moment.

...but none of that pop-out is major.

I don't want to bring down the enthusiasm of everyone. I wonder how many people have seen
[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]what real pop-out should look like. [/color]

Forgive me for bringing this up over and over again, but everyone needs to see Chapter 3 of
IMAX: UNDER THE SEA. If not that, A TURTLE'S TALE (Region 2).

That is what major pop-out is all about. Major pop-out is when objects seemingly come so far
out of the screen that it hovers inches from your nose. Outside of the two titles I mentioned above,
nobody has done 3D pop-out, as well pronounced, in any major film that I am aware of.

Second best selections (not nearly as good) are A TURTLE'S TALE 2 (U.S.A.) or the ending
sequence to DESPICABLE ME or DESPICABLE ME 2.
(Available in the USA).

Even those titles have more prominent pop-out than anything I have seen thus far on the
Frozen 3D disc.

….

I just get a little down when people call this major pop-out. Trust me, it's moderate.

...and my apologies for getting a little riled up about this. All of you know how much of a
3D advocate I have become and how disappointed I am with the direction Hollywood has
gone in making this format as entertaining as it could be.

I have to agree with you here. As much as I've enjoyed my 3D set and the movies I've watched on it, it is confounding to me why filmmakers are continuing to produce 3D lite movies. Did they take a secret pledge not to use pop-out or depth to it's fullest potential? House of Wax for depth alone, puts most modern 3D to shame. I won't even mention HOW's pop out.

I haven't seen the iMax movie you mentioned or Turtle's Tale, but I've no doubt they are good examples of pop-out. I agree with your mention of the two Despicable movies. I'd also add Journey to the Center of the Earth and Madagascar 3. The ones I've just mentioned all decided to have fun with the 3D. Guess what? They were all successful at the box office.

Frozen got huge box office with moderate 3D. To me, that proves the first component in a great movie, is a great movie. Then use 3D to add to it. They could have added more.

I agree with the accolades for Polar Express. Great 3D!

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Out of curiousity, are there others that have NOT received their copy of "Frozen" from Amazon UK?

I received my "shipping" notification on March 29, and I see that others in the US had received their's last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks