What's new

Frontfiring sub, Downfiring port? (1 Viewer)

Ok, let me go through the story first...I made a 5.25 cube box for an old orion car sub to use for home theater. I actually designed the box for a shiva on purpose. (anticipating the death of my Orion sub..haha) When I finished, I realized how big this thing really is, and I'm not going to be able to lug that thing to college (95+ lbs).
So, I'm cutting off 12" of the top, which brings me down to 3.3 cubes. The port length for a 4" PVC port needs to be 20.XX" long, and my box is only 19" deep. So...is it OK to have a front firing sub, and a downfiring port? If not, I guess I'll put the port on top. Or should I just use this sub in a sealed application? By cutting down the box, The smallest I can get it is 3.25 cubes without any MAJOR modifications. It is running off a PE 300-796, the one with bass boost. (I was a typical stupid 16 year old, and saw the word BASS, so that must mean its better. :rolleyes:), so that's why I'm thinking sealed. If I throw in a TON of extra bracing and extra wood I could cut down the size dramatically, but thats a little far fetched, and I think I'll take my chances with hurting the sub ported. After all, its only 4+ years old. No big loss.
Thanks in advance.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Andrew,

Using a front firing, bottom ported enclosure will be fine. And a 3.25cubic foot box will work great for the Shiva. I had a Dayton DVC 12" in virtually the exact same enclosure and it worked very well. I wouldn't stress on it too much. What are you going to tune it to? Without knowing the exact dimensions of your cabinet I'm going to guess you'd probably need to tune it around 23-25hz for the port to fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks