What's new

Front Height (on actual bookshelves): Bookshelf or Atmos Upfiring? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I currently have a basic 5.1 setup running through a Sony STR-DN1080, and want to add front height speakers. Here's the room:

20190727_140352.jpg

I plan to put the front heights on top of those two tower bookshelves, which are exactly 6' tall. The ceiling is around 9.5'-10' total, and viewing distance is just over 10' from the screen. The height speakers would be pretty much lined up with the screen. I'm debating putting a pair of up-angled Atmos speakers up there (like the Sony SSCSEs), or maybe just another pair of bookshelf speakers.

What are folks' opinions on that choice? Would an Atmos signal bounced off the ceiling from there be worth the extra cost over a pair of similar bookshelf speakers simply aimed out into space? I hear mixed things about the effectiveness of bounced ceiling channels, but people usually just stick those on top of their fronts.

(And yes, actual in-ceiling speakers are a future possibility, but we're not going there just yet. :) )

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Update: I found some speaker wire in the back of my closet, and remembered that I still had two of my old mains (one of which is starting to crackle), so I stuck 'em up there. They do seem to open things up a bit, but I haven't had much chance to really test it out yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks