What's new

From Dusk Till Dawn: Great first half, but... (1 Viewer)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
From Dusk Till Dawn suffers from "Full Metal Jacket Syndrome" - Amazing first half, horrendous second half.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Just wanted to agree with a previous poster -- first half, second half, whatever.
Salma Hayek dancing with a snake?!!? Movie hit its high spot right there! Everything else before and after is unnecessary.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
This movie is up there with Jeepers Creepers for movies that had me intrigued by the first half and then let down by the second. This movie was great even after the bar was exposed for what it was but it just didn't feel the same. Still fun though and I love the ending where they pull away and show the huge pyramid in the dump. At least this movie didn't completely go to hell like Jeepers Creepers did after the initial reveal.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
The film functions as an homage to many classic horror (e.g., Night of the Living Dead and Western (e.g., Rio Bravo) films, as well as the films that were also influenced by those (e.g., Assault on Precinct 13). This is telegraphed early on to the viewer by having a character wear a shirt that says "Precinct 13." Now, if this isn't your thing, it's not your thing. However, I think the filmmakers achieved exactly what they set out to do, which is a very positive accomplishment in my book.
DJ

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I'm almost embarrassed to admit this but the last few times I watched FDTD I skipped chapters and went straight to the Titty Twister, I know some of you like the first half a lot, but I thought this was meant to be a gory vampire flick and thats what I wanted. Plus I wanted to get to Selma as quickly as possible.;)
I especially enjoyed Cheech Marin's hysterically sexist dialogue outside the TT but I haven't got the cajones to post them here...:D

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
FROM DUSK TILL DAWN is an excellent film, and while the first half is good, its not anywhere near as good as the second half if you ask me! Tom Savini is awesome, and it was great seeing him in this, and I love Harvey Keitel and Fred Williamson as well! The vampire effects are spectacular, and the film is pure horror fun! I love every minute of it, and this is actually one of my favorite vampire films!
I have skipped right to the Titty Twister too on a few occasions by the way. :)

I had no idea what this movie was about when I first saw it at the cinema. All I knew was the Clooney, Tarantino and Keitel were in it. Hey I even missed the bats on the poster ! (maybe my eyes were distracted by the huge gun barrel)
But you know what - I could not have planned it better. I enjoyed the first half of the movie a lot, but when the vampires came out it was like holy crap what the hell is going on here.
Superb - two movies for the price of one the way I saw it. I never saw the vamps coming so it was an awesome plot twist.
This movie, along with precious few others I have seen without pre-hype, makes me wish sometimes that the hype knob was turned way down from its current levels. Most big movies these days have no surprises left for you by the time the teaser trailers, commercials, and full trailers have been shoved down your throat. If I had read a review for this movie beforehand then the best part for me - the plot twist - would have been spoiled for sure.
Hence I've only been to the cinema to see 2 movies this year, but I've seen a lot more on DVD and a lot of them for the first time.
And for sure I'm getting the SE of From Dusk Till Dawn.:D

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
"Now lets kill that f**king band!"

"Did they look like psychos? Is that what they looked like? They were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are."

This is a very quotable film.

-Dean-

mark_d

Second Unit
Some films are purely designed to "Kick Ass".

Nothing wrong with that if they succeed.

Plainly put, "From Dusk til Dawn" kicks as much ass as I have ever seen kicked.

Years ago I played the LD to a bunch of friends that had never even heard of it. They all loved it, and one even went out the next day to buy both the VHS (I said years ago) and soundtrack CD. Instant fan. It's nice to open peoples eyes to class entertainment they may never have caught otherwise...

Mark

John Choi

Agent
I've always thought this film was modeled after Psycho. Both films start out as crime thrillers and turn into horror films. The cut off points for both films are also similar, Psycho has Janet Leigh taking a shower and in Dusk 'til Dawn, you've got that snake dance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks