What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Freedom Fighters gets a 9.3 on Gamespot and supports 720p (1 Viewer)

Jason Cald****

Stunt Coordinator
Not a lot of hype about this game, but it quietly scored a 9.3 over at gamespot. It is supposed to be a squad based game sort of like Brute Force. It does support 720p and comes out next week. You may want to check it out, the only knock i seen so far is that its a bit short around the 8-12 hour mark.

EDIT Above was based on the xbox version, but its being released for all systems and PC

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Isn't Gamespot the site that gave a bad review to a MMORPG after only 2.5 hours of playtime?

This message is to state that the editors of GameSpot have decided to rescind the recently posted review of the PC game, Savage: The Battle for Newerth. This decision comes as a direct result of allegations by the game's developers that the reviewer of the product did not play it for a sufficient length of time prior to passing judgment--an allegation supported by specific server-side player logging that apparently measures exactly for how long the player's account was active.

Jason Cald****

Stunt Coordinator
Ya the game was savage. Most of there reviews are pretty close to IGN though.

Most magazines have rated this game pretty well also that have reviewed it.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
The only real problem with Freedom Fighters is that there simply isn't enough of it. While the game does a good job of making you think you're nearly finished, only to toss another set of missions at you, veteran action gamers should be able to get through the game on the second or third difficulty setting in eight to 12 hours. However, unlike other action games of similar length--Max Payne, for example--the game doesn't really give you much reason to go back through and play a second time.
Yeah, they say it's short...like usual anymore. :angry:

I'm definitely picking this one up since it sounds good but I will admit I hate this seemingly growing trend of "shortie" games.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Pretty interesting storyline to carry it along. OXM gave it a pretty solid review as well. Would have been a great Xbox Live candidate.

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Had the day off so I picked it up this morning (PC version).

It's very good fun, if not quite deserving of the 9.3 score. There are a few annoyances although the core gameplay is extremely addictive. I've had squadmates disappear on me a few times. I suspect they've fallen "through" the world, so to speak, because they're nowhere to be found. The pathfinding is surprisingly good, so I doubt they're getting lost somewhere. Also, the missions are spread across multiple maps which requires you to travel between areas to accomplish certain objectives. This works a bit strange as maps reset between visits. I left one map and had every enemy respawn and my squad reset to their starting position. You basically have to run back to the starting point of each map to ensure that you have a chance of restarting it properly if you choose to tackle another objective on a different map.

Graphically the game uses the same engine as Hitman 2 but the huge cityscapes look much more epic than anything presented in that game. If you liked the general look of Hitman 2 you'll probably enjoy this as well.

The gameplay is great and you can order your troops around very easily. While three team commands may not seem like much it's surprising how intuitive it can be. I didn't feel I lacked anything and you quickly develop a feel for what your squadmates can and cannot handle. I don't know how the console versions handle but it's very easy to pick up and play on the PC. The console versions should be no different, really. The control scheme reminds me of Splinter Cell in the way you can turn the camera one way and move your character independently of the viewpoint.

Unfortunately it IS a short game (I'm 3/4 through it already) but it's one hell of a ride, so to speak. Definitely worth a rental, at least.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Just talked to my boy at E.B. He said that the Xbox version isn't due out 'till Oct 2nd.

Sucks. Thought it was out already for the 'Box. :frowning:

Troy_M

Stunt Coordinator
I have the game, it IS 720p, but..... the graphics,IMO,are nothing to get excited about.It seems that in order for a game to run in high resolution, the graphics have to be toned down. Maybe I'm wrong, but the graphics in this game are a bit too blocky(at least the character models are); But it is very obvious that the game runs in 720p(besides the fact that my tv says it), the detail is very sharp, too bad the graphics don't complement the resolution. This game would be really great to me if the controls were layed out in a different way. It seems really difficult to control your character in the heat of battle, but maybe I am just not used to the controls yet. I will give it another shot.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
the graphics,IMO,are nothing to get excited about
I can't disagree more. The 720p mode takes an average game and puts it right on the "to buy" list. The clean, sharp graphics are fantastic. It doesn't have the flashiness of a DOA3, but the city environments look great.

-Dave

BrandonJF

Second Unit
I picked this up for the PC, mainly because I was concerned about the "auto-aim" on the XBOX. Now I wonder if it really matters. The PC version seems to almost have an "auto-aim" itself. Putting your mouse pointer on a guy doesn't guarantee a hit. You'll fire somewhere around that area. Doesn't seem like it was a big enough issue for me to forego the console version.

I've experienced the "disappearing" team member problem, too. Anyone who has this for the XBOX experience that as well? It is kinda annoying. I have to order everyone to regroup and then the one that disappeared will pop up out of nowhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks