1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Follies (Stephen Sondheim)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Lipson, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    This is a pleasant shock that I've always wanted but never thought would actually happen.

Stephen Sondheim and James Goldman's musical Follies is being made into a movie.

https://deadline.com/2019/11/follies-stephen-sondheim-musical-film-treatment-on-chesil-beach-director-dominic-cooke-heyday-bbc-films-1202786073/

Dominic Cooke is directing, with David Heyman (Harry Potter) producing for BBC Films. On film, Cooke directed On Chesil Beach, which I thought was the worst movie I saw last year by a lot. However, he also directed the wonderful London revival of Follies in 2017 with Imelda Staunton, and that was great. So he knows his way around this material.

2. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    I saw the screening of that London production with Staunton and she was great, and the show was very satisfying. Now, as someone who saw the original Broadway production of Follies, I can only hope that they throw a few million dollars just to recreate the glitz and glamour of that production. There really has been nothing like it. This is a show I revere like no other, plus it was the first musical I saw on Broadway.

3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I saw that original Follies, too, and it remains embedded in my memory all these decades later. I'm not sure anything else I've ever seen on the stage can actually compare with it.

4. Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod Supporting Actor

Jim
    Yes... I saw the Kennedy Center production of FOLLIES a few years back and would agree---there is really nothing that can touch it. We've waited for a film version for decades, let's hope it will be worthy of the material.

Bernard McNair and Jake Lipson like this.
  5. Bernard McNair

Bernard McNair Second Unit

Bernard McNair
    One of my favourite Sondheim; the only full production I have seen is the Broadway revival in 1999/2000 at the Belasco Theatre. The production had many critics but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Cannot wait to see the film and like my fellow posters hope for some real glitz to accompany this remarkable score.
    I can only hope that the producers find a spot for Bernadette Peters; arguably the greatest living Sondheim interepter.

6. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I was one of those critics of the 1999/2000 revival. Perhaps if I hadn't seen the original, this version wouldn't have been such a letdown, and some of the performers were simply not up to the task, hired for name value when they clearly weren't able to deliver any longer (Marge Champion was particularly awful). The audience around me went wild for it, but it didn't have nearly the impact for me that the original production had. The most recent NYC revival seems to have been a much better overall production, and I wish I could have seen it.

7. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    Follies has always been my favourite Sondheim, and I always longed to see it. The closest I had come was a concert version I saw at Niagara On The Lake Ontario.

Then I attended the showing of the filmed stage version with Imelda Staunton. I truly believe I have finally “seen” the show. I’d buy it in a minute on disc. (The Bernadette Peters version on CD sounds almost exactly the same).

If a movie can improve on this, I will be first in line.

Jim*Tod likes this.