What's new

Floorstanding speakers - Sand or Lead Shot? (1 Viewer)

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
I've had a pair of British Monitor Audio floor-standers for a while now.

I've been a bit lazy and haven't got round to filling them yet.

Can anyone tell me, should I use sand or lead shot?

Some people say lead shot because it's denser, others say sand because lead shot might resonate. Some say use both, but I'd rather just stick to one or the other.

I've yet to get a definitive answer.

I really want THE ABSOLUTE BEST from these speakers.

Thanks in advance.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Are you talking about putting that stuff into tower speakers, or just the stands that the speakers sit on? I would NOT recommend putting that stuff into tower speakers, as it will change the internal volume and mess things up.

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
If you want the theoritical best....its a mixture of both..lead o nthe bottom, for ballast...and sand on the top to dampen the virations.

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
The speakers are designed to be filled. They have a special cavity built in with a rear access plate.

If you had to use one or the other, which way would everyone go?

Why?

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
I'd go with sand. Lead shot won't resonate and will make the speaker much heavier than necessary. The sand will do the job.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I asked a dealer this very question, and he recommended lead shot, as he believed fine sand particles (even if you use coarse sand) could eventually work their way into the speaker drivers.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Lead shot is sized in increments - #12 being the small "dust" shot, and #4 being significantly larger. I'd go with #8 or #9 (easier to find than #12), and it should compact better.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I'd be more concerned about getting the speaker placement 'right' in your room. My objections to lead is that it's an environmental and health hazard and should the time come that you wish to sell/dispose of them, by all rights they ought to be treated as a hazardous waste.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to fill some rear speaker stands (permanently--no disposal issues!), but I'm not sure where to get the lead shot. You guys aren't emptying shotgun shells, I presume? Is this the kinda thing I could get from Home Depot?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
might be able to run down to your local gun shop and get some. i'd imagine mail order to be frightfully expensive.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
So that's really it? Just buy some buckshot and a pocket knife and start emptying 'em into a bowl? Really?

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
no I think what he is saying is you can buy the pellets by them selve seeing as people are able to make there own shotgun shells as well as other uses for the pellets.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
People make their own shotgun shells? OK, it's been a long while since I've so much as held a shotgun, but that strikes me as even more ridiculous than emptying out shells to fill my speaker stands!

But really? I need to go to the outdoor shop and ask for bulk shot? Is birdshot better than buckshot for speaker stands?

I get the distinct impression that some of you may be having a bit of fun at my expense!

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
couldnt tell ya I've never experienced haveing to fill speaker stands with heavy wain grainy substance:) hehe, I've just got my fronts on Mohogony stands My grandfather made in the 20's while he was in Panama. They're beautiful stands but I need to have them refinished, 80+ years wreaks havoc on a finish.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
a fella i went to college with was taking an advanced degree in metallurgy and had rather unlimited access to the shop where he constructed his own shotgun shell loader. being a scientist and all, as well as an avid trap/skeet person, he was meticulous in both the weighing of the components as well as the actual sizing of the shot. once we get involved in a hobby, we can all tend to get a little nutty.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Ahem...

I handload, mostly for rifle, but I do pistols and shotguns too.

Where do you live? Boston?

Good luck (grin).

I'd call around to a few gun shops, and ask where you can buy a few bags of #8 or #9 shot. A good place to check would also be a trap & skeet club. Look under "shooting ranges/clubs," "guns," or "firearms" in your yellow pages. If there are any still left in your area... I don't suppose that you enlightened folks up in Yankeeland would happen to have The Greatest Store Known to Man (Bass Pro Shops) handy...

DO NOT buy a few cases of shotgun shells and empty 'em. That's expensive, tedious, and you might cut yourself (they wouldn't be too likely to go off unless you did something _really_ stupid, such as tightening one in a vise, and then repeatedly striking the primer area with a ball peen hammer, which could, at least in theory, send projectiles into the floor, the roof, and a close relative's lawn mower, getting your butt tanned 18 ways from Sunday - whatever you do, don't do that...).

If you want to cheap out, you might consider wheel weights surrounded by sand, but personally, I'd just go with the shot.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
they wouldn't be too likely to go off unless you did something _really_ stupid, such as tightening one in a vise, and then repeatedly striking the primer area with a ball peen hammer, which could, at least in theory, send projectiles into the floor, the roof, and a close relative's lawn mower, getting your butt tanned 18 ways from Sunday - whatever you do, don't do that
learned this from personal experience I take it :D

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I had a set of Monitor Audio speakers that I was trying out for my HT system, using the 5i for the mains and also faced the dilemma of what to fill them with. I ended up with sand in baggies and just poked them into the cavities at the bottom of the speakers.
After 100 hours break-in of the MAs, several friends and I sat down over a periond of days to determine what was better. At the same time, we were evaluating some Marantz Mono amps, some MMG Maggies, JBL S series, and some Energy speakers along with a pair of old JBL L100 that I've had for over 20 years.
No one ever consistantly picked out the sand filled MA versus the non-filled. They were evaluated at the small setting (80hz) and large also. They were run on 2 channel as well as 7 channel HT and driven by the Marantz as well as a high end receiver. Being on a crawlspace foundation and in a "soft" room may have tainted what the sand fill should have helped but as it was, it just seemed to make no difference.
I can tell you that the MA were very airy, great imaging but laid back in the midrange and turned up nicely. I think you'll enjoy them regardless of what you fill with or whether you even fill them at all!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks