What's new

Flash Forward - season 1 (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
  • I didn't see who got zipped into the body bag in Pigeom, the D Gibbons clone or the sheriff, but I can't see how he survived the explosion.

Right. Because his surviving the explosion would be implausible - unlike the whole, "All of humanity passed out for exactly 2:17 at the same instant and all have visions of where they will be exactly six months later" premise of the show.

I think if we can accept that - and accept that "D. Gibbons" is one of at least two people who was up and walking around while the rest of the human race enjoyed nap time - I think we can also buy the he survived - or escaped - the explosion. (My money is on a blast-proof tunnel running under the place.) Strictly in terms of story-telling it is much less likely that there is yet another D. Gibbons running around in six month's time than that the first one didn't die in the blast. The fact that there is no sign that they found his body also points in that direction. (Agent Noh specifically references the death of the woman who told him she had no vision of April 29th, and nobody says something like, "Gee, wonder why that name is still on your board six months from now since we just saw D. Gibbons die and have the stiff down at the morgue.")

Regards,

Joe

And it was definitely the female peace office (a deputy sheriff I think) who was zipped up in the body bag.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
You got me, Joseph. Here I was stringing together a a series of illogical occurrences to draw a conclusion, and I came to logical conclusion.

What was I thinking?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Here I was stringing together a a series of illogical occurrences to draw a conclusion
I can't resist a further tiny nitpick. This isn't aimed at you in particular, but you've hit one of my hot buttons when it comes to English usage.

There is nothing inherently illogical about any of the occurances in the show that I can recall. Thanks to Mr. Spock people tend to use "illogical" when they mean, "unlikely", "unbelievable" or "contrary to known fact", but illogical only properly applies when something defies the laws of logic - not those of physics, biology or poetics.

Major premise: All men are mortal

Minor premise: Socrates is a man

Minor premise: Scorates is mortal

We use two pieces of information to deduce a third based on their logically necessary connections.

All men are mortal

Socrates is a man

All men are Socrates

THIS is illogical. The third statement does not follow from the first two.

All men are mortal

Socrates is a man

Socrates likes cheese

Also illogical since neither of the first two statements has anything to do with cheese.

All men like cheese

Socrates is a man

Socrates likes cheese

THIS is a piece of unassailable logic, even though all men do not, as a matter of fact, like cheese. Logic doesn't deal in fact. Logic deals in the intellectual relation between propositions. (I am using the simplest possible syllogisms, but the principle applies to more complicated areas as well.)

All pink elephants can dance the cha-cha

Jumbo is a pink elephant

Jumbo can dance the cha-cha

This is as logical a string of statements as those about Socrates and mortality, and therefore is perfectly logical. If the first and second propositions are true, the third necessarily follows. The fact that pink elephants do not actually exist, and would be very unlikely to do the cha-cha if they did, doesn't affect the logic.

None of which is to say that TV and movie plots can't be illogical. If the rules of a particular fictional world establish that it always takes six shots to kill one of the mud monsters and in the climax the hero kills one with the last bullet in his gun, that's illogical. Either the exception has to be explained or the creators have violated the interal logic of their own story and that's cheating. But it isn't illogical because mud monsters don't exist. And don't let Mr. Spock try to tell you otherwise.

Here endeth the rant.

Regards,

Joe

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Becasue they know the cupcake woman is D.Gibbons.

Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino

(Agent Noh specifically references the death of the woman who told him she had no vision of April 29th, and nobody says something like, "Gee, wonder why that name is still on your board six months from now since we just saw D. Gibbons die and have the stiff down at the morgue.")

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Originally Posted by TonyD

Becasue they know the cupcake woman is D.Gibbons.
They were also referring to guy who blew up the factory as D. Gibbons. There is no reason for D. Gibbons the cupcake lady to be on the FBI's board six months in the future because, as you point out, they know who she is. With her identified and a fried "D. Gibbons" in the morgue it still would have made sense for someone to reference the fact that they had just killed their best lead.

Regards,

Joe

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Maybe it's still on the board 6 months later due to it being 6 months later and they currently don't know why it's still on the board.

There is apparently something going on with that woman since we saw her odd flashforward, so couldn't they be thinking the D. still on the board is the woman?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Her odd flashforward may be the first example of changing the future. She was upset in the original timeline because she found out someone had stolen her identity in Pigeon and was having a hard time sorting it out. She took matters into her own hands in the now and went to the FBI, and they now know all about the identity theft. Other than her name still being used by a man--which was a cliffhanger so we shouldn't have any idea what that means--she may very well be ready to pass out of the story, never to be seen again.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I just started tonight's episode (after the baseball game), and it reminded me... I had a thought during the last episode that I meant to mention. What if the daughter gets kidnapped by D. Gibbons, and then that is what drives a wedge in the marriage? Might be that she goes to the kid's father because she needs sympathy from someone who thought they might lose their child.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Still, it'd be a pretty surreal experience to have seen a future that says you'll be with a man who isn't your husband in 6 months, when you have no intention of that happening, then to actively traverse that exact course. So much so that even though she'll recognize that her path has changed from what she expected, events will occur that'll be so significant, that she'll continue anyway.

I'll continue reading and watching, but I'm not convinced yet we've seen anyone change their vision.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just want to get clarification on something....

So, the remains in the grave are of the guy's daughter?

Does that mean that something is wrong with the
Flash Forwards being shown?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

Just want to get clarification on something....

So, the remains in the grave are of the guy's daughter?

Does that mean that something is wrong with the
Flash Forwards being shown?
Unless that guy was lying, his daughter is dead and his flashforward is wrong. I don't think they could exhume a grave, take DNA and match it up in less than a day but that could be TV logic or it could be a hint that he changed his mind at the last minute and didn't yank her bones out of the coffin.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Well, there's another explanation, too. The military/government could legitimately be covering up daughter's death--perhaps she really isn't dead, and the flash is right. If that smoking tower in Somalia is any indication, there could very well be government involvement in the glboal blackout, so faking the death of a soldier isn't too hard to fathom.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ That's a valid theory. Despite that episode seems to show that his flash was wrong, I think that all the flashes are going to happen. It's just they've misinterpreted what they saw or they don't have all the info that they'll have by the end of the season or that by trying to prevent what they saw, they'll cause it.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I haven't been following the thread so perhaps this has already been brought up:

The flashes are a global event with a known date and time. Given that, wouldn't there be people waiting for the flash forward moment? Maybe even parties to ring in the flash forward? Wouldn't the investigators be especially curious about the time surround the flash forward event?

And yet, in the flash forwards, people seem to be doing mundane things and going about their business as if they had no knowledge of the future.

Since the flash forwards did not include flashes in which people knew about the flash forwards, doesn't that indicate that the future in the flashes are not immutable?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
How about this for an idea.

Even though the events of the ff were 6 months in the future, they did not happen until the moment of the actual ff.

I don't know what that means but there it is.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Co-worker told me that this show is based on a book
though much of it has been changed.

Wonder if the show will conclude as the book has
whereas someone already knows the answer to what
is happening.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I believe the author of the book is a member here. I recall seeing some of his posts in the Star Trek threads. I was thinking of buying the book and reading it to compare.

ABC Is repeating last night's episode. I wanted to see what the exhumed body resulted in myself as it wasn't clear.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I searched his name but that doesn't mean much as the search function is rather useless.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
What about Demetri's fiances' FF? She says he's in the Wedding but he sees nothing? They make a point of not showing him in her FF but can't see her marrying someone else within 6 months of her fiance's murder on the same date they set. No way in hell that would happen......unless she is a bad girl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks