What's new

Flash Forward - season 1 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The world blacks out for over 2 minutes, and gets glimpses of their future, much to people's confusion and consternation. It airs on ABC at 8 p.m. EDT.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I'll be watching, no doubt. The fact that it's based off a book (Flashforward) by a fellow countryman is enough to get me to the pilot. From the extended trailer, it looks quite interesting, and is poised to be ABC's LOST (which is entering its final season) replacement, in what I dub the "what the hell is going on?!" genre.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

in what I dub the "what the hell is going on?!" genre.
Haha that's the same thing I consider it to be.

I really liked the pilot tonight, and definitely will continue watching. I was a little surprised to see Seth MacFarlane in a live role, though it seems he'll probably only be in that one episode. My only big issue is that by saying the exact date that they flash forward to and having it be so close to now, you'd think they're sort of limiting themselves in how many seasons they can do without a second flash forward (though similar things never affected Lost, so I guess it's not too big of a deal).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Liked it.
But....
the little boy who knew the name of Dr. Penny(Lost) how would he know her, He couldn't have been at her house during the 2:17, could he.
that would be the only way for him to know her?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by TonyD

Liked it.
But....
the little boy who knew the name of Dr. Penny(Lost) how would he know her, He couldn't have been at her house during the 2:17, could he.
that would be the only way for him to know her?
Well seeing as how it was the boy's father that was in her living room in her flash forward, I assume the boy would know the name of the woman who a) saved him, and b) is dating his father (in the future).

Joe_H

Screenwriter

Well seeing as how it was the boy's father that was in her living room in her flash forward, I assume the boy would know the name of the woman who a) saved him, and b) is dating his father (in the future).
I had that same thought too, except they don't remember everything that happens up to that 2 minutes, they just remember that 2 minutes, so unless he actually heard her name during that 2 minutes he wouldn't remember that she had previously saved his life. I have a feeling that's something that'll be explained though.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Joe_H

I have a feeling that's something that'll be explained though.
There's a tendency in this genre ("what the hell is going on?!") to have children react/work differently under whatever phenomenon is occuring. My assumption was along these lines.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

I had that same thought too, except they don't remember everything that happens up to that 2 minutes, they just remember that 2 minutes, so unless he actually heard her name during that 2 minutes he wouldn't remember that she had previously saved his life. I have a feeling that's something that'll be explained though.
yes exactly my thinking.

There's a tendency in this genre ("what the hell is going on?!") to have children react/work differently under whatever phenomenon is occuring. My assumption was along these lines.
very good point.
something odd might be going on with the daughter's flashforward too.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thought the pilot was quite well done and is a nice set-up for some kind of conspiracy.

But I can't see this kind of show sustaining itself very long. I imagine they learned something from Lost and have a plan. But it seems like it might be a better show if it's designed to only go 2 or 3 years at most.

By the way, did anyone notice the Oceanic billboard in the background early on when they were at the stake out?

Also, I thought the promo for "V: looked pretty amazing, visual effects wise.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

I thought the pilot was quite well done and is a nice set-up for some kind of conspiracy.

But I can't see this kind of show sustaining itself very long. I imagine they learned something from Lost and have a plan. But it seems like it might be a better show if it's designed to only go 2 or 3 years at most.

By the way, did anyone notice the Oceanic billboard in the background early on when they were at the stake out?

Also, I thought the promo for "V: looked pretty amazing, visual effects wise.
I saw the Oceanic billboard immediately--I was actually actively looking for a LOST homage, given how much the opening disaster scenes mirrored the opening minutes in LOST.

This isn't directed at you Nelson, I merely quoted you for context (I know you are clear-headed member, who doesn't jump to conclusions on anything).

It's no secret I'm a huge LOST supporter, maintaining that the showrunners have "had a plan" (at least in some form or another). I remember the same thing (it can't be sustained!) being said about LOST, and to be quite blunt, such statements look quite foolish now. Though I've been doing my best to avoid spoilers for Flash Forward, I have read a few interviews (I'll see if I can drum a few of them up) where the powers that be claim to have the entire first season sketched out, including the bridge to the second season, and also the entire "big picture," should the show catch on and clearly be destined for multiple seasons.

In the end, there will *always* be people who say "they are making it up as they go," and my prediction is that this show will be no different. I fully expect a few members (I can guess a few names, already) to make such claims, dismissing any and all justification that there is a planned story. People will acuse the show of having filler episodes, clearly designed to string viewers along, posing new questions, while answering few if any.

For a show like this (and LOST, Fringe, and Moore's Battlestar Galactica), you either trust the showrunners, or you don't. If you don't, well, I don't really know why you would tune in to a show that clearly is meant to stretch out over a season, if not seasons. It's like the Fringe season 1 thread--almost immediately people were demanding answers, ragging on the show for bringing up mystery after mystery. Well, what did you expect from a JJ Abrams show about the supernatural?

The same thing goes for this show. While it's not the "Flash Forward appreciation thread" (something a few members like to drop in as soon as people start complaining about complainers), and people are certainly welcome to voice their opinions on the show, I wonder just how many people honestly *honestly* think a show like this is going to be forthcoming with answers.

Flash Forward is almost certainly going to be like LOST--heavy on the mystery, light on the answers. I personally don't think it is passing itself off as anything less.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Like Terminator 2, I wish I could have watched this without knowing what the basic plot line was. But the reviews gave it all away, so a lot of the show was "wasting time catching up". Of course, the title itself is a big clue.

And what's with the Laker-hating -- Kobe being injured and out for the season, hurting the chances for a repeat?

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Easily the best pilot episode since "Lost"! And when I saw the Oceanic billboard, I tried to spot other clues. Very strong set up...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
While I was enthused to find out Goyer was the main driving force behind this show, my enthusiasm was dampened when I saw Brannon Braga's name on the writing credits. Hopefully it will overcome his participation.

I was sort of tickled by seeing actors from the US and UK versions of "Coupling" showing up in the cast for this show.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I liked the premiere. Don't know how great the show will be in the long run, but for now I plan on watching.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I enjoyed the pilot and look forward to seeing how the main story rolls out. Flash Forward had a boffo debut for ABC last night, easily winning its time period in all three adult measurements A18-34, A18-49 & A25-54. In fact, powered by FF and GA, ABC won all six six half-hours of the night in total viewers and adults 18-49. ABC must be thrilled by these results!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member

This isn't directed at you Nelson, I merely quoted you for context (I know you are clear-headed member, who doesn't jump to conclusions on anything).
Hey Josh-
Hey Josh- Thanks! Yes, I didn't intend to imply what you brought up. It was a poor choice of words on my part.

I did enjoy the pilot and I'll stick with the series and see how it goes.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Please tell me that the Kangaroo escaped from a zoo. Otherwise it might be as bizarre as ... seeing a polar bear on a tropical island! This show is bizarre enough as it is.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Quote:

My only big issue is that by saying the exact date that they flash forward to and having it be so close to now, you'd think they're sort of limiting themselves in how many seasons they can do without a second flash forward.
In the feature article about the show in the recent EW, the producers said they plan to compress the 6-month flash forward window into just the first season. So by next May, the timeline of the show will have reached/passed the April 29, 2010, date (so the show is basically taking place in real time).

How they sustain the story/interest beyond that is unclear (probably some big government conspiracy thing, which is how these types of shows usually go).

I enjoyed the pilot, though I'm leery of getting wrapped up in another show of this type after suffering through three seasons of "Lost" spinning its wheels before I finally bailed out.

The whole issue of Dimitri Noh (John Cho) not having a vision because he may be dead within the next six months also doesn't seem likely. Hundreds of thousands of people around the world will die within that same period, but there don't seem to be many (any?) others reporting they had no vision. So that particular explanation, and the false drama they tried to create about it in the pilot, seems to be a non-starter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

I enjoyed the pilot, though I'm leery of getting wrapped up in another show of this type after suffering through three seasons of "Lost" spinning its wheels before I finally bailed out.
If you consider Lost as having spun its wheels, I can all but guarantee that this show will make you much more angry. Not to knock Flashforward but I think it's nearly impossible to imagine that it's a more planned out show than Lost is.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR

If you consider Lost as having spun its wheels, I can all but guarantee that this show will make you much more angry. Not to knock Flashforward but I think it's nearly impossible to imagine that it's a more planned out show than Lost is.
The only reason I'm hopeful is that they are supposed to reach the flash-forward date by the end of this season, so that seems like the promise of at least a little bit of closure before launching some new mystery for the next season(s).

The same article I referenced above also quotes the creators as having developed a full five-year outline of the series which made it much easier for them to sell the show. Seems like I recall the LOST producers recently admitting that they've just been making it up as they go (which they kind of had to since they did not know how many seasons they had to fill until they agreed upon a series end date with ABC part way through the third season).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks