What's new

Flash Forward - season 1 (1 Viewer)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Thanks, definitely knew I recognized it and as soon as you said the character name from 24 I realized it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
So what aout the little girl saying D. Gibbons is a bad MAN?

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by TonyD

So what aout the little girl saying D. Gibbons is a bad MAN?
Figured she was just referring to the person who stole Gibbons' identity.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yeah but it was spooky and really dramatic when she said it.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I had some issues with the pilot, but after having some time to adjust to the show as well as watching episode 2, I'm in for the long haul. It has enough of what I like in my entertainment: Interesting premise, room to grow/explore the premiser, decent writing, decent acting, something to think about, and good production values.

One would think simply seeing the future would make it subject to change, since, for instance, someone could throw a bracelet that's supposed to be there in the future into a fire today. But that's only if the model followed is the future isn't yet written. This show provides overwhelming evidence so far that it follows the model of Determinism. In this model, no matter what you do, it will end up being exactly what you needed to do to bring about the vision you had. So even though we see a bracelet in the fire, it would end up not being the bracelet in the vision. Maybe he lies and tells his daughter he lost it, so she makes him another one and he puts it on. Whatever the case, we've yet to see a single foreseen event avoided that I can recall.

That isn't to say the show is locked into that. We're 2 episodes in. We'll just have to enjoy the ride and see how it pans out.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Kind of striking how many of these things are self-fulfilling prophecies that they're having. He sees himself as the lead investigator, so he's the lead investigator. The wife sees herself cheating, which could add tension that leads to her cheating. There were quite a couple other that I thought of during the episode, but I can't think of them now. But how many of these things would happen if they hadn't seen them happen?

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Joe_H

Kind of striking how many of these things are self-fulfilling prophecies that they're having. He sees himself as the lead investigator, so he's the lead investigator. The wife sees herself cheating, which could add tension that leads to her cheating. There were quite a couple other that I thought of during the episode, but I can't think of them now. But how many of these things would happen if they hadn't seen them happen?
Good point, Joe. And possibly even more important, how many of these things would happen at all if it wasn't for the flash? In some instances it's 'cause' and 'prophecy' rolled into one.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman

Good point, Joe. And possibly even more important, how many of these things would happen at all if it wasn't for the flash? In some instances it's 'cause' and 'prophecy' rolled into one.
On the other hand some things that people saw in their glimpse into the future may not be exactly what they thought they were. There may be more than one way of interpreting events.

One side of seeing the future is that if you know you ar going to be around six months from now are you "invulnerable" until then? Will we see some people taking risks they might not otherwise take?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Right, after seeing last night's episode, Penny (I now, Olivia) might think she'll have an affair with the father of her patient. But I suspect what she's interpreting is affection because they could have befriended him and his son, and nothing more. Their kids certainly are acting like they are good friends.

Maybe her husband Mark is not drinking alcohol.

Pretty chilling that Demetri got that call. Now what kind of name is Demetri for an Asian guy! That threw me and I thought they were referring to someone else, like a bad guy!

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson

I was thinking the same thing. And why does Mark need to pin the stuff on the board in the exact places they were in his vision? Why not mix it up a little?

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by NeilO

Quote:

On the other hand some things that people saw in their glimpse into the future may not be exactly what they thought they were. There may be more than one way of interpreting events.

One side of seeing the future is that if you know you ar going to be around six months from now are you "invulnerable" until then? Will we see some people taking risks they might not otherwise take?
I guess I didn't phrase that well, Neil. I was talking about the event itself, rather than any interpretation of the resulting visions. A vast number of people died during, and as a result of, the event. Would so many people have otherwise died on this date? I suspect not. The "future" that folks saw is a direct result of the flash, IMO. I hope this is addressed as we move forward in the story.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco Whatever the case, we've yet to see a single foreseen event avoided that I can recall.
It was very late when I was watching so I missed some details in my fatigue, but I remember the cupcake lady saying, "Thank you for saving my credit score." I suppose she could still be defrauded again in the next few months, but didn't they clear up the Pigeon identity theft already? If I was Harold, I'd be going to White Castle to celebrate the idea that some things can be changed based on that.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

Right, after seeing last night's episode, Penny (I now, Olivia) might think she'll have an affair with the father of her patient. But I suspect what she's interpreting is affection because they could have befriended him and his son, and nothing more. Their kids certainly are acting like they are good friends.
Are you saying she is misinterpreting her flash forward, and that the shirtless guy in her living room, the one she calls "honey" (or something else, I forget), is merely her friend?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That's what I am thinking Josh as a possible interpretation. I had forgotten she had called him honey. There goes that theory down the drain. Unless the way it's edited and the flash is replayed in her head, the honey could have been directed elsewhere. But the guy being in her living room and shirtless is a bad sign.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Don't forget that these "flashfowards" are not outside observances. She didn't see herself seeing her new man. She was in the moment, feeling and thinking what she would have been feeling and thinking. She even mentioned the feeling of absolute love she had for the guy.

At the same time, the main guy didn't just think he might have been drinking. He tasted it, he knew he was off the wagon, etc.

None of which explains why the guy would have to see her to know her. His kid wasn't anywhere around in the moment, but he knows her face and name.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

None of which explains why the guy would have to see her to know her. His kid wasn't anywhere around in the moment, but he knows her face and name.
But we don't yet know what Dillon saw in his flash forward. Obviously Olivia was part of it since he knew her name, just like Olivia's daughter knew Dillon's name. The guy's flash could revolve around something he was observing (on TV perhaps) since we see him sitting on the couch in Olivia's living room. He may not even know where he is, but rather there is something else going on that is the focus of his flash forward. Therefore, he wouldn't necessarily have to know who Olivia is, just like Olivia's husband saw the dolls in his flash but had no idea of the location where he saw them.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

Don't forget that these "flashfowards" are not outside observances. She didn't see herself seeing her new man. She was in the moment, feeling and thinking what she would have been feeling and thinking. She even mentioned the feeling of absolute love she had for the guy.

At the same time, the main guy didn't just think he might have been drinking. He tasted it, he knew he was off the wagon, etc.

I think you basically answered your own question. Lloyd doesn't recognize Olivia because he wasn't in the moment, or rather, his moment didn't involve thinking about her. It seems resonable that the characters' consciousness don't know literally everything their future minds would know--only what they are thinking about during that specific moment in time. So, unless future-Lloyd was thinking to himself "I love Olivia, I love Olivia, I love Olivia...," present-Lloyd wouldn't know it.

As for Dylan, for now, I'm standing by the old standby that things work differently for children, in shows like FlashForward. It could even be his autism that changes how his flash (if he even had one) "worked."

Of course, there's the possibility that Lloyd *does* recognize Oliva from his flash, and for some reason (sinister?) he is hiding it.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by TravisR

^ It's Shohreh Agdashloo. She played Dina Araz in the fourth season of 24 and was nominated for an Oscar for House Of Sand And Fog.

Plus she just won a best supporting actress Emmy a couple of weeks back for House of Saddam.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

Or that they are putting things on the board only because they think they are supposed to having seen them in the flash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks