What's new

First 'Rush In Rio' DVD Review (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The Dolby Digital track seems to lack any bass whatsoever.
Must be something wrong with your system. I found that there is tons of bass in the DD track.

I also think, once you get past Tom Sawyer, it sounds pretty good. As Mike says, Geddy is probably battling the audience. It also sounds like it wasn't exactly the ideal situation for a recording.

Jason

Chris Monk

Grip
Must be something wrong with your system. I found that there is tons of bass in the DD track.
No, nothing wrong with my system. I put in a couple of other music DVDs (ELO:Zoom and Cure:Trilogy) just to make sure. They sounded fine with plenty of bass. I also watched Raiders of the Lost Ark last night and the bass sounded fine.

Anyway, back to Rush.....I turned the sub volume of my receiver up as high as it would go and still, there wasn't much bass. When I switch to the Dolby 2.0 track, there is plenty of bass. I wonder if it could be some kind of encoding problem with the DVD?

HankM

Second Unit
MattCPT,

I feel the same way also about the audio. At first I thought it was me, I kept raising & lowering the sound level to find a happy medium. I listened to half of it and than fooled myself into thinking it sounded good. At least now I know someone else heard what I heard.

:crazy:

Shane D

Supporting Actor
To me, the 5.1 has TOO Much bass, on my system its one constant boom unless I turn it down 10 from what i normally listen to dvds on. I turned it on this morning as I got ready, and listend to the stereo track, and I think i liked it better.

Has anyone else noticed how the sound will come in and out sometimes? not like it goes away completely, but imagine a speaker on a rope swinging back and forth, the sound comes to you, then goes away. I've heard that in a few spots.

I do enjoy the cd though. I've only listened to it thru headphones, and now its mp3's on my hard drive that i listen to, and it sounds decent to me. But I'm not as anal about my music audio as much as i am about dvd sound. So my opinion there isn' as strong as others.

Jamie Goff

Agent
Hey guys the transfer is indeed ANAMORPHIC! You have to go into the audio options and select (dolby 5.1), then select (resume). It is then shown in anamorphic widescreen. It is the most bizzare thing ever.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Q: Is this the best sounding concert DVD ever?

A: No. But I didn't think it would be. In watching Disc 2 first we learn that the day/night the concert was recorded was a logistical nightmare. No band soundcheck, no video check, no soundcheck in the recording truck, basically flying by the seat of their pants. I'm cutting them some slack here. After the opening chord of Tom Sawyer I reached for the remote and turned down the bass. I also felt the rear channels were louder than most concert DVD's. And yes Ged's vocals could have been louder. But I'll tell you this, when you're sitting there listening to this concert you get a real feeling of being at the show. Is it as clean as The Eagles Hell Freezes Over? No way, but so what. This show was recorded without any soundchecks, one night only, in front of a frenzied, vocal, energetic crowd. I love it. And watching it reminded me why I've listened to these guys over and over for 23 years.

Hey guys the transfer is indeed ANAMORPHIC! You have to go into the audio options and select (dolby 5.1), then select (resume). It is then shown in anamorphic widescreen. It is the most bizzare thing ever.
Jamie: What do you mean resume? Do you start playing the disc, pause it, go to menu, choose Audio Options, 5.1, the resume? If I remember correctly (not having the disc with me here at work) when you go into the Audio Options 5.1 is the default choice. You then can choose to return to menu or "Play". I don't remember seeing "Resume". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

Jamie,

Please elaborate a little more about this, as there are a lot of people VERY upset (not me) about this.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What would making an audio choice have to do with whether or not the video is anamorphic? :confused:

Steve Crowley

Stunt Coordinator
I went and used the analog outputs on the DVD and upsampled through my reciever. Sounds pretty good to me. The 5.1 did not sound that bad but then I went to the 2.1 through my tubes and the sound was even better. Guess I need 3 more channels of tubes. Or maybe put on the laserdisc of "Exit Stage Left". The picture is not as good but the sound is. It pains me to see them putting out another DVD when they could have waited and made the thing right in the first place. Look at LOTR I bought the first one and then they came out with the EE version. Maybe if they get enough complaints from the consumer. It's all about $$$. Yeah I will go see them again, for like the 14th time as they are a truly incredible show. Maybe this time they will be indoors as the Cynthia Woods Crapilion is horrible for sound. dB limits suck for outdoor shows. Just ranting, great performance.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad the DVD doesn't sound "clean." Their studio albums already do and even two of their live ones. I absolutely love how wild this one comes off. There's just so much joy in it.

David_MSP

Stunt Coordinator
The whole thing about accessing an anamorphic transfer via the audio menu seems rediculous to me, but I will suspend judgment until I hear otherwise. So has anyone else tried this yet?

Adam_R

Second Unit
"Hey guys the transfer is indeed ANAMORPHIC! You have to go into the audio options and select (dolby 5.1), then select (resume). It is then shown in anamorphic widescreen. It is the most bizzare thing ever. "

Can someone at home PLEASE confirm this? I can't see how this is true. How would it even be possible? Bad flags? Someone care to explain?

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
the sound of this dvd replicates what a real concert is[not tight but kind've obtuse sounding]

Adam_R

Second Unit
Ok, now I'm pissed. I read a review of the UK version, and it's definitely anamorphic. Here's a quote from dvdtimes.co.uk

"I've been getting feedback now that the US Region 1 edition has been released and it seems that it is NON-ANAMORPHIC.

Just to confirm - this UK edition is definitely ANAMORPHIC - enhanced for widescreen TVs."

DAMN IT!!!

Jamie Goff

Agent
When your at the main menu screen with the dragon flapping his wings, toggle down to AUDIO OPTIONS press enter on your remote. The next screen, is the with the dragon looking at you close up. Top of the screen says Audio Options you have a choice of Dolby 5.1 or Stereo. Select Dolby 5.1, press enter on your remote control. This will put a square icon at the bottom of the screen where it says MAIN, PLAY, or RESUME. Press the enter key with the square icon next to RESUME, and the concert will start up ANAMORPHICLY enhanced.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Wow! Thanks for the clarification Jamie. Now this is a perfect DVD.

I just hope this works with DVD software as I am using a HTPC.

Thanks again.

Adam_R

Second Unit
I did the EXACT steps listed above and DID NOT get anamorphic video. I will try again tonight.

Jamie Goff

Agent
This DVD is messed up. If I turn on my television (SONY 34xbr800) in it's widescreen mode it will play the disc anamorphically. The second I change any kind of aspect ratio on my set say ZOOM, WIDE ZOOM, or 4:3, it looses it's anamorphic enhancement, and I get the squashed picture with black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. All I can suggest is to turn on your T.V. set first, with your television set to your MOVIE veiwing setting, so you don't have to adjust aspect ratio on your set. Then turn on your DVD player and follow the steps I said before. I know this sounds far fetched and a lot of work just to watch a DVD, but I am watching it right now anamorphicly. We need to get the X-Files on this one. Weird.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
This can't be right. Your player has NFI what your TV is set for. Now, on some sets, the TV will detect an anamorphic disc via an s-vid connection, but it doesn't go the other way.

Based on these reports, this has to be one of the most fouled up DVD releases in history. Some users say the bass is too hot, some say there is NO bass. Some say its anamorphic, some say its not.

Either some folks are royally confused, or there are different versions of this disc out there.

Some on mailman, get the lead out!

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks