What's new

First Really Negative Review in Stereophile Guide to HT (1 Viewer)

Shamus

Auditioning
All it shows is that all those glossy adds the "other guys" pay for helps their reviews. I own the T500's and I assure you they dont "suck".

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I read the Stereophile Guide to Home Theater CSW-Newton review, and was somewhat taken aback by the apparently brief listen he gave them, comprised as far as I can tell of a single album and a single DVD, the former I'm not familiar with and the latter the fantastic, but far less than "audiophile quality" DD-5.1 track of "The Last Waltz". Then again, if the reviewer is quite familiar with those two sources, then they may well serve as excellent barometers for judging the performance of these speakers. Still, one would think a wider variety of material might have been more illuminating.

Before getting into the nitty-gritty of the review, the reviewer does spend a long time describing his respect for Henry Kloss and some of the products that CSW makes. It doesn't read like a hatchet job, though one can never quite tell, and he seemed very reluctant and dismayed about imparting such a negative view. Perhaps that's why it was so brief. Or perhaps he simply didn't give them their due.

At any rate, it's good to see that S-GTHT is not adverse to publishing a negative review. I've read many in Stereophile over the years (though I'd expect many more in S-GTHT since they seem to review more low and mid-fi gear). I also found the T300s to be "dark" and somewhat veiled in the listening room at Cambridgeside Galleria... but that's a lousy listening room and the speakers were pushed almost entirely against the wall, which of course overemphasizes bass frequencies and reduces imaging. They might sound real nice if properly positioned and mated with some very revealing and forward electronics.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
My thought is that Cambridge stopped taking up as many ads in the magazine.

Btw, I am not saying that is true, but I would believe it.

Rich

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Anybody that has "actually" spent time listening to the CSW Newton T300/500's knows this to be an anomaly. I will never judge a speaker on a review! You have to listen to the speaker over a extended period of time, preferably in your home! Casual listening doesn't hack it. I thought the Martin Logan prodigy speaker lacked definition and was harsh sounding at the store. When I heard them again at my Brother-in-Laws house over several listening sessions....they blew me away. Almost without exception..those that are taking pleasure in "diminishing" the T500's have never heard them or have only an "admitted" casual listening experience in a "showroom" environment.

david_b_m

Agent
Wow, now I'm a little spooked!
This is literally the very first negative thing I've been able to find on these speakers after searching intensively across the internet for a couple weeks of "should really be working" time. I just ordered the full T500 + center and surrounds set from Cambridge, along with a Marantz SR7200 reciever. It still sounds like the people who have heard these speakers come off with a positive opinion, aside from this one reviewer. I have heard that it takes some patience to get the bass adjusted correctly. I assume this is going to be even more difficult for me since I am already running a large subwoofer built around a JBL proaudio 15" driver, but I am thinking because this one really does its best work below 50hz, I can at least take some of the bass load off the built-in subs in the T500s.
I hope this review doesn't mean that the speakers I'm anxiously awaiting and watching on UPS tracking are going to be duds. In all honesty I haven't heard THAT many really high-end audio setups so I'll probably be impressed anyway but I really don't want to put this money into something that's less than spectacular. :frowning:
By the way, hello to everyone - this is my first post here after registering when someone from AVSForum pointed me to this post regarding my incoming speakers. This marks my first effort to build a 'true' home theater setup after mucking about with a very basic prologic setup for far too long. I aim to add to my confusion by attempting to integrate my computer in an HTPC / DVD player role. Should be an interesting diversion if my marriage can survive it!

Tom Grooms

Second Unit
What is the return policy? Did you listen to these before you ordered them?

If they sound good in your room, your in good shape. But you should listen to other speakers in your home before making any decisions.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
I subscribe to SGHT and have read it since its inception. I'm hesitant to say this, but, here goes, consider the source: In the October 2002 issue of Stereophile, MF wrote that having the blades of his system's AC cord cleaned and polished made an "enormous" difference in sound quality. He wrote that the increase in "clairity and focus" were "easily noticeable," as was "the overall richer, warmer sound."

I don't want to re-ignite the entire subjective vs. objective debate. But I wouldn't worry about your speaker purchase solely on the basis of this one review, especially with so many other positive testimonials.

My .02

david_b_m

Agent
I bet he forgot to polish his power cord before he tested these speakers! Problem solved!
I don't like to worry too much about ANY subjective purchase based on one opinion... it was just SO contrary to everything I've heard that I got a little worried. And hey, if I don't like them it's an easy matter to get a set of Rocket 750s shipped out in their place. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks