First Really Negative Review in Stereophile Guide to HT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Len Cheong, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

The latest edition reviewed the Cambridge Newton T500 speaker system and outright trashed it. I couldn't believe I was reading it since they've never put out such a negative review. It was interesting to note that manufacturer was surprised by their assessment and said that their cones and drivers are identical to those of the Infinity Interlude system (which it was compared to and noted as being superior) and therefore should sound similar.

2. gregD

gregD Second Unit

I read the reviews but take 'em with a grain of salt, precisely because as you imply, 99% of them so glowingly positive.

However, SGHT seems to have nailed this one... I think of Cambridge as pretty good bang-for-the-buck speakers... I use 3 small bookshelf models in the HT as center and surrounds... but on an audition last year, it was evident to me that the Newtons were a step backward... the entire Newton line sounded muddy compared to the entire line of their older Tower floorstanders (which I came close to buying).

Just goes to show, especially for speakers, you have to carefully assess every new model... new designs, tweaks and upgrades don't always pan out.

3. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

That's amazing. I've never read a negative review in that rag. They must not give the magazine any money.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Don't matter much if they use the same drivers or not. The crossover is what counts the most.

5. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Actually, what the company said was that the tower mains(which the reviewer did not like) and the center(which the reviewer did) had the same midrange and tweeter. Just for the record, the company did not say that the drivers were the same as the Infinities.

6. Shamus

Shamus Auditioning

Is there an electronic copy of that artical anywhere? I would love to read it because I just bought the CSW T500 HT system and really love it. I would like to hear what the artical has to say about them. I wasnt able to find that mag in my local magazine rack.
    What was the gripe?
    Thanks

7. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

According to them it was the price for an inferior speaker set compared to the Infinity Interludes. I thought it was a good issue.

8. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

Anybody that has actually spent time listening to the Newton T500's knows this review to be an anomaly. Believe me...they sound great! I read a review in Stereophile (not SGTH) that said the B&W Signature 800's were harsh and irritating to listen to....go figure! I have compared the Newton T500's directly against the Rocket 750's and the Polk Audio LSi25's in my house with the same equipment over a 2 week period....I kept the T500's! [​IMG]

9. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

What's funny is that the measurements were quite good: flat frequency response and excellent low end extension. The guy measuring was at a loss to explain why the listener heard what he heard. Time domain issues was his supposition. What I would be willing to wager is that the subwoofer adjustment was way off, way too high, thus leading to the dull, lifeless sound the auditor heard.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I actually think it's a bad idea to put powered subs in mains. You get all kinds of problems with destructive and constructive interference from them. (I'm surpirsed the reviewer didn't mention that.)

I would personally be very interested in whatever equivalent there is to the T500 *without* the powered subs...

11. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

I once read an article in either SG or SGTH (i think it was the former) that said changing cables added nearly two octaves worth of depth...I am not arguing that cables can or can not change the sound of your system, but 2 octaves? I would think the write would know how much of a difference that would make and would not say something so stupid...I shut the magazine immediately.

Rich

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

2 octaves, ... what is that? Like 10 dB or something?
    [​IMG]

13. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

""2 octaves, ... what is that? Like 10 dB or something?""

Octaves and db are totally different terms. An octave refers to frequency. (it is a doubling of frequency) For example, if someone says that he gained two octaves extension, you have to know the starting point. Say the original system played cleanly to 80Hz. A two octave extension would mean it played cleanly to 20Hz!
    Nuts! db is a reference to volume level

14. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

If he was making the "bold" statement of adding 2 octaves he was most definitely talking about the wiring to the sub and adding that would of course be to the lower extreme. Since I never saw that review I'll save my opinion.

15. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

16. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Tim- It was a joke... => [​IMG]

17. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

Sorry Kevin! A was literally being literal [​IMG]

18. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

I don't want to be bashing these Cambridge speakers but I just read another article in Absolute Sound Issue 133 (Jan02) regarding the T300 , one down from the flagship T500. This time I'll quote word for word what the reviewer said:

19. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I don't know, but do the T300's also have the included powered subs?

20. Andrus_R

Andrus_R Stunt Coordinator

Who cares what "They" think. As long as you enjoy them that's all that matters.