What's new
World Wide Stereo

Firmware v2.0 now available -- adds TrueHD 5.1, fixes 720p output (1 Viewer)

Ken_F

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

It turns out that the network / Internet update for firmware 2.0 hasn't yet been enabled for the RCA HD-DVD players. It should be in the next week or so.

If you don't want to wait,you can download the firmware to a CD and update that way.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Somehow I thought before this firmware upgrade that TrueHD was only for 7.1 setups. I'm an idiot. :D

Glad to hear members report on Phantom's sound mix. :emoji_thumbsup:

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
Ken F:

Where exactly do I go to do that and how?
Thanks much, I really appreciate the help!

Mark

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
Ok, I've downloaded the 2.0 but the True HD sound is not as good as the Dolby Digital 5.1.
Do I need a receiver with an HDMI input to get True HD sound?
Thanks once again.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
As long as your receiver has 5.1 discrete analog inputs, properly calibrated with the speaker settings in your player and receiver, you are covered.

I doubt the player-generated DTS signal over toslink would work as well.

- Steve

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
FYI:

Warning to those when using the 2.0 software with a video processor and certain displays/projectors:
There are reported issues with this v2.0 software!

HDCP and DVI issues are being reported with the Toshiba A1 v2.0, when used in conjunction with a video processor like the Lumagen and displays/front projectors like the Sony Ruby.

Currently, the changes will be permanent: (i.e. You cannot install a past version to go back/correct it.

For those that may have a concern: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8287140

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
I have yet to peform the udpate, I will probably do it next week when I have time. Is there really an increase in the quality of sound over DD+? I will try POTO after I do it to see for myself, but wondering about others. I havent purchased or watched Training day yet so I wouldnt have a comparison.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I say POTO is more vibrant and robust during the songs. Played Constantine again, and while the surrounds seem clearer, I was not impressed as much as with POTO. Now, to check out The Perfect Storm...

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Did the update and played Phantom Of The Opera. In True HD experienced many sound dropouts not noted before on this disc. I am using Theta processor. No problem with Training Day.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
did that with phantom and , not blown anywere.

sound is lower then standard DD track.

is there a way to check player for fw ver?

Ken_F

Stunt Coordinator

Setup -> Maintenance -> Update

Before you commit to an update the current version number will be visible on-screen.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
uh, that worked
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
At first when I upgraded to v2.0, TrueHD sounded TERRIBLE to me... muted, buried surround effects, LFE was low, etc. What a damn let down, I didn't sign up for this!

However, after reading about turning "Dialog Enhancement" OFF when using TrueHD, I thought I'd give it a try. I did it and I'm now in TrueHD heaven :D! TrueHD sounds awesome, it doesn't necessarily enhance the sound IMO, but brings out the finer details of the soundtrack more clearly. My ears are lovin' it!

Oh I'm using Constantine to listen to TrueHD, can't wait for End of Days :D.

P.S. If you're reading this Warner, consider putting a TrueHD track on Batman Begins, The Matrix Trilogy and Terminator 3... PPPPPPLLLLLLEEEEEAAAASSSSEEEEEE! :D

Ken_F

Stunt Coordinator
Batman Begins and The Matrix are already confirmed (see first post). Cross your fingers for the others...

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Batman Begins in TrueHD will blow the roof off of many houses. It's one of the best Dolby Digital tracks I've heard on SD-DVD, so let the drooling commence...

Also, can you imagine the opening sequence from Superman Returns in TrueHD (or the entire film for that matter)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks