What's new

Firmware v2.0 now available -- adds TrueHD 5.1, fixes 720p output (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I have a player with firmware v1.2. I listened to the sequence you are referring to. The crackle is in the mix. Like you said, it occurs just after Pitt boots the guy over the edge and stops just before he hits the mirror. It also occurs again as the incinerator fires. It is not related to the firmware update that you made.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Vader,

I just updated my player to 2.0 without waiting for the disc and without hooking up the ethernet cable. If you download the update from the internet you can use Nero to burn it to a cd and the player will update straight from the CD. If the player locks up on the startup screen after updating. Just shut the player off then power back up, do not shut off the player while the machine is updating.

You can download the firmware as a Nero CD image right here. Burn it to a CD with Nero using the "burn image to disk" (not data disk) option, or if you don't have Nero, you can download the trial version of ISOMagic. But I recomend that if you do not have Nero just download a trial copy of there server and use it to burn it to CD. I did that and the update of the CD went smothly and without a problem.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Thank you for checking Edwin, I really appreciate it. I also confirmed that as well because I went and rent the SD-DVD and played it on 2 different DVD player (one just using built in TV speakers) and the A1. Heard the crackle all three times and came to that conclusion as well. I don't know why I don't remember hearing that sound before updating to 2.0, guess i just freaked out. I teel you what though, that is an odd sound effect to use at that spot IMO. Thanks again for taking the time to check your copy.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The only weird thing that happened to me after the 2.0 update was while watching Training Day in Dolby True HD. The sound stoped and then became unsycronized with the video. I did not try it again because I only wanted to see if the Dolby True HD actually worked after the update. Has anyone had any problems with Dolby True HD tracks becoming unsycronized?

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Dave, I already did download the image, but I'm somewhat cautious about using an "unofficial" (ie. not from Toshiba) firmware upgrade, especially since I can't re-install former versions (to my understanding). As Steve pointed out, Toshiba is under no obligation to support a firmware upgrade obtained from a third party. And as you mentioned, several people have reported lock-ups at the startup screen with the downloaded image (or, is that with downloads from Toshiba as well?). Has anybody confirmed that the image is indeed identical to that from Toshiba (I mean, aside from version number), like the MD5 signature? I was extremely surprised to see the AV "hiccup" with fw v1.4, as I had thought that problem was solved completely in fw v1.1 (1.2?), and now I'm getting nervous. At least as many people as those who reported problems have had none whatsoever. All I know is that the U-571 disc is pristine (not so much as a scratch, or speck of dust), so I don't think it's the disc itself. It was largely the testimonies of those who reported that the Tosh has proven itself to be a fantastic piece of engineering after the last few fw updates that pushed me over the edge. It was quite the rush to see the "1080i Standard" flash on my Mitsu for the first time....:D :D

Edit: If anybody here has the Tosh 2.0 upgrade disc, could you take an MD5 sig and post it here or PM me with it? Thanx!

Edit (again): I just burned the image to a CDR and tried to take an MD5, and Windows could not read it - said that it could be corrupted...? Or that it was in a format alien to Windows (more likely?) So much for my bright idea of comparing MD5 sigs.......

TedD

Supporting Actor
It's not a format windows can read. Others on that other forum have stated that the downloaded version is idential to the one direct from Toshiba.. I installed it on the second day it came out with no ill effects and plenty of positive ones.

Ted

Dan M

Second Unit
*The sound stoped and then became unsycronized with the video. I did not try it again because I only wanted to see if the Dolby True HD actually worked after the update.*

I havent done the latest upgrade but I've been having that same problem watching several discs thus far. I have the latest firmware just before 2.0. I was hoping 2.0 was going to correct this. I have to pause it then the audio goes back in sync to correct it.

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

I think HD DVD and BD discs are just not as forgiving as SD DVD if there is any small amount of dust on a disc. Anyway I find that if I wipe a HD DVD disc with a dry facial tissues prior to play I never have the skip or audio sync problems.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Facial tissues are NOT good for wiping CDs, DVDs, HD-DVDs, or optics. They contain quite a bit of particulate silica and WILL cause scratching. A clean microfiber cloth is much better.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek

Ted, not to dispute you, but on what criteria did they base this assumption? If it is solely on the version number, that says nothing about the contents of the software itself. Someone who knows what they are doing can easily modify the instructions within the code and leave the version number intact (or am I just being paranoid?)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

I find your lack of faith... refreshing. ;)

If it does not come from Toshiba channels, it is not an official distribution. All bets are off. As we've discussed before, if the machine gets hosed in the pirate firmware update process, Toshiba is not on the hook to help you. That, tied to the fact that some people have had troubles running the update (although off Ethernet) worries this SCM guy to no end.

That is why I installed off the broadband connection!

- Steve

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Much as it pains me (an ethernet connection is not possible right now.... unless I use a 250' cat5 cable), I'm gonna wait for the Toshiba disc... I just can't bring myself to trust the download....:frowning:

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The "unofficial" firmware that's available for download is from Toshiba. How could it possibly come from another source? The questions come from speculation that the code in the leaked v2.0 is beta and not the final release. Some think that the version numbers in the leaked firmware "prove" that it's the final version, but I don't necessarily think that's the case. The numbers displayed by the player have nothing to do with whatever source code control system Toshiba's software engineers are using internally to manage their revisions. I've also seen some arguments state that the size of the leaked disc image file is identical to the "official" version, but since no one has received a CD from Toshiba with the offical release I don't know how that comparison could be made.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Dear Valued Toshiba Customer:

Our records show that you returned the Firmware Update Request card that
was included with your HD DVD player, and asked that we notify you when
firmware updates become available.

A new Firmware Update Disc is now available and, if you have not already
received it, you will receive it by mail soon. This firmware update adds
support for certain anticipated network delivered content in future HD DVD
discs, improves certain video and audio processing capabilities, as well as
addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related problems identified by
Toshiba. To update the firmware in your HD DVD player, please follow the
instructions provided with the Firmware Update Disc. After completing the
firmware update process your HD DVD player should show the current firmware
version as 2.0. You may use this Firmware Update Disc to update your
player from any prior version of firmware. It is not necessary to perform
interim firmware updates.

If your HD DVD player is connected to a broadband internet service through
its Ethernet port, you may be able to complete the firmware update on-line.
Please visit www.tacp.toshiba.com for additional details.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Doug P.: Just want to clarify: in all your surfing/reading, you have yet to come across anyone who has already received a 2.0 CD? A guy I've PMd with on AVS has.

Trippy: while typing the above, I received essentially the same e-mail as Tony posted. Only additional is this text at the end:

"Should you experience any issues with updating the firmware in your HD DVD player, or if you have any questions regarding your HD DVD player, please contact Toshiba's Customer Solutions Department at 1-800-319-6684.

Thank you for your business.
Toshiba Customer Solutions Department
National Service Division
Toshiba America Consumer Products, L.L.C.
1420 B Toshiba Drive
Lebanon, TN 37087 USA

*If you did not indicate on the Firmware Update Request card that you
would like to receive emails from Toshiba about future firmware updates,
and you would like to receive such emails in the future, please reply to
this email with the word "ADD" in the subject line.

**If you would prefer not to receive emails from Toshiba in the future,
please reply to this email with the word "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line.

***If you would prefer to receive emails from Toshiba at a different email
address, please reply to this email with the word "CHANGE" in the subject
line, and with your name and new email address in the body of the email.
"

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I haven't come across anyone who has, no. In fact when I called Toshiba on 9/1 I was informed that the 2.0 CDs had not started shipping yet because they were still waiting to receive them from their replicator.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks