What's new

Finally had the chance to see Moulin Rouge. (1 Viewer)

Bryan

Stunt Coordinator
IMHO: I liked the way they worked in alot of the music, I laughed in some areas, the costumes were done extremely well for the type of movie it was/is, but for the most part... I didn't like the movie.

There, I've said it.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
YES! said:
Sure. If you do not like it, send it my way. I've just about worn out my current copy.
This movie is one of my all-time favorites, excellent, excellent film. The 2-disk set is outstanding. One of the few disks I have watched all the extras/bonus materials. Incredibly well done.
Best film/DVD of 2001? Yes, it is!
Peace Out~:D

Matt Bloxham

Agent
I had a friend lend me this disk, and I thought, OK I'll watch it (thanks Scott). It now also one of my favorite movies, and I HATE musicals, my wife hates it :angry: , But I LOVE it:b I also now loan my disc out to friends, and I tell them to go into it with an open mind and get past the first 30 minutes or so when it starts to slow down and that they will love it as much as I do:D
It one great package, and the extra's are great, give it a try
Matt

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
I didn't care for it at all. All style, no substance. But I can see why people are dazzled with it.

I would seriously rent it before buying (which is what I did and GLAD I did it!)

Andrew

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
When I went to see this movie in the theater, the ticket girl talked me out of it so I ended up in a different theater watching a real stinker.

As soon as this came out on DVD, I bought it, played it on a 32inch older TV -- and LOVED it! (So did my 10 year old.)

When I upgraded my HT to a 57" Sony, this was the first DVD I played on it...and I didn't think it was possible to enjoy it more...but I did.

This is a stunning visual treat! Eye candy! The added bonus is the sound. When the thunder sounds, you feel the house shake.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Moulin Rouge was far and away my favorite movie of last year. I watched the DVD three times during the first week I had it. I think it's a passionate, invigorating, colorful, bizarre and all-around fantastic movie.
Having said that...it's simply not everyone's cup of tea. People I thought would adore it were bored stiff, while friends I never would have shown it to in the first place ended up raving about it.
As I always recommend with a movie you haven't seen, rent or borrow it first. If you dislike the movie, you're only out a few bucks. If you love it, you just spent an extra few bucks for the purchase. No biggie...especially for a movie this awesome. :)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I found the film grating in the extreme - I did the honourable thing and sat all the way through it in the cinema, but I was to God I hadn't.

Not only is the much-praised theme of "love conquers all" as trite and simplistic as it gets, there are serious flaws in both the wasting of Jim Broadbent and John Leguizamo, fine actors reduced to screeching caricatures, an editor who needs to learn a little self-restraint - the fact she was nominated for an Oscar when every cut is jarring shocks me, and a general messiness and vagueness in both its conception and execution by the director meant a horrible night out.

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
I find this movie really polarizes people. It is almost impossible to tell who will like this film and who will not. I love the movie, I thinkit's brilliant. Friends of mine who I thought would really like and appreciate the film did not. People I figured wouldn't get the film did and loved it. The customers at my video store seem to be evenly split as well, I have had just as many people who have said they liked it as have hated it. Best thing to do really is to rent it first. For some reason this is not a film for everyone, and if you're not one of those who likes the film, you'll probably be one of those who hates the film. That's another interesting thing, I've not encountered anyone who is middle of the road on this film, no one who didn't dislike it but didn't care for it either, it's always one extreme or the other. I wonder why that is.

You ought to at least rent it. I did, and bought it the next day. I thought it a stunning production, if a bit frantic. If you have a decent sound system, you'll enjoy the soundtrack for sure. Check it out.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Took the movie back to Hollywood Video and complained about it freezing up on us 3 times. Clerk advises the movie has trouble playing on certain players. Mine is a Tosh 2109 and the only problems I seem to have with it are on rental discs. The rental copy I had was quite scratched, but the clerk would'nt change her opinion. Anyone else have this problem with a Tosh or with a non-rental disc?

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
Well, I work at a video store, and I've never had anyone return the dvd with this problem. As far as I know it's not an 'official' problem, and I've certainly never read anything which suggested Moulin was having trouble on certain players. I suspect that the clerk has had the same complaint because they continue to rent out the damaged disc. Possibly the player at the store is of sufficient quality that it can play through the scratches, or, as seems more likely, she's just too lazy to check it and just puts it right back up for rental.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Thanks Geoff. This is getting aggravating. Tonight we watched Hearts in Atlantis rented at the same Hollywood and the back of the disc almost had grooves worn into the back of it from someone's player! It froze up at least twenty times. How can people treat the discs like that and why doesn't Hollywood repair them since they sell the Disc Dr. in the store!!! My rental days may be coming to an end.:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks