Finally had the chance to see Moulin Rouge.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Harnish, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

The DVD itself has been sitting on my shelf for I don't know long. I finally got to watch the film and I was literally *ASTOUNDED*. What an incredible production! What a great cast. Nicole Kidman was stunning in the red hair -- saying she was a goddess is an understatement. I can now see why it was picked as the HTF's DVD of the year last year. I give it:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Everything about this film is unique, and, IMO, every word in that script rings true.
    "The greatest thing one can learn is just to love...and be loved in return."
    That's one of my favorite lines in the film. [​IMG]

2. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    I havent seen this movie yet, generally I don´t like musicals.

Would you recomend this film to me anyway?

3. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

ABSOLUTELY!!

I HATE musicals, but this movie was my absolute number 1 favorite movie of 2001.

4. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    OK, I will buy it!
    But I do hold you responsible if I don´t like it![​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

I would rent this before buying it. Honestly, I personally don't know very many people who liked this movie. Most of my friends trash it and working in a video store, most of the customers have complained about it.

Jeff

6. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    You guys are not making this easy![​IMG]

7. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

Jens,
    I bought it solely because of the reputation it received here on this forum. I wanted to see the movie that Ron picked for "Best DVD of the Year" over Almost Famous. This was a movie that I TRIED, REALLY TRIED mind you, not to like but I was thoroughly entertained and mesmerized by the film in a couple places. The music absolutely hypnotized me as did the underlying theme of "The greatest thing one can learn is just to love...and be loved in return."
    Now, to be fair...I don't agree with the "Best DVD of The Year" as Almost Famous still holds that distinction here, but I think if you give Moulin Rouge a chance, you'll end up enjoying it too[​IMG]!

8. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    Finally got to rent this one this past weekend and watched it with my wife. We were both somewhat interested in it, but I was not expecting to really like it as I was somewhat put off by the idea of a turn of the (last) century story filled with modern music. WAS I EVER WRONG!!! My wife and I were both completely BLOWN AWAY by this film! I can't remember the last time I was just completely caught up in a film like I was watching this. The look of the film was gorgeous, much better than expected, granted I'm only watching on a 36 inch TV, but easily the best transfer I've seen on my humble setup. I couldn't get over the music, watched (listened to) in DTS. I was thoroughly impressed with this mix. WOW! Kid man and MacGreggor blew us away, didn't know they could sing. I loved this film. The rental was all scratched and it froze up on us three times [​IMG] . I definitely plan on picking this one up when I see it for a good price!! The extras were great too. Couldn't get enough, really. I can see why Ron called this the best of 2001, I concur.

9. Tim_Prasuhn

Tim_Prasuhn Stunt Coordinator

gal dern it, now you guys got me wanting to see it badly enough to buy it.[​IMG]
    I'll give any movie a chance twice through (it is my motto, and my experience that it takes no less than two veiwings to decide if you truely don't like/ like a film), and Moulin Rouge will now get its 2 days in court.

10. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I love Moulin Rouge, but by no means would I recommend it unconditionally. While most people on this forum may like it, MOST J6P will hate it. It has been my experience that liking musicals or not makes no difference. The defining factor is whether or not you are willing to try something different. While I give it my highest recommendation, not everyone is going to love it.

11. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug

12. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

Or if you don't mind wasting $4, do what I did.

1) Rent it

2) Love it

3) Watch it 3 times before returning it

4) Buy it

13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Bear in mind that to earn "DVD of the Year" accolades, a DVD's entire production values are taken into consideration. That this marvelous two-disc set is graced with a rousingly good and daring film makes it all the better. It's one of my all-time favorite DVDs.

14. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I have to admit that it was/is my most enjoyable rental of the past 12-15 months and I too went into it with extremely low expectations. I was blinded by the amazing colors of the movie, set production was incredible...Nicole and Ewan's voices were terrific...never knew they could sing. I probably watched the "Your Song" chapter about 15 times before returning my rental and it's just a matter of time before I pick up this two disk set. I could watch this movie 100 times and not get sick of it. And I too hate musicals, but I liked "Grease" and this movie is in that mold...it's an instant classic.

15. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Two words (or one word twice):

SPECTACULAR SPECTACULAR!

If you haven't seen this film you should. Sure, there are many who won't "get it" and will not be impressed or will dislike it. But for those who like it, they'll probably love it. You can't know that you won't like it just because you aren't into musicals either. Just check it out.

So excitting!

It'll make you laugh, it'll make you cry

So delighting!

And in the end........

16. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    Ok, OK!
    I think I have to buy this movie!
    [​IMG]

17. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    So, should I get the region 1 or 2 version of the DVD?

I usually buy reg 1 DVD´s, but with this one Im not sure...

18. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I was very skeptical about this film at first.

I rented it just to see what all the fuss was about. I thought it was OK (I didn't really LIKE it that much) at first, but it took some time for it to sink in...

I watched it a second time and fell in love with the movie. It's one of my favorite movies now!

19. BrianB

BrianB Producer

20. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I don't like musicals (other than Wonka) and I rented Moulin Rouge the other night. I turned it off after 30 minutes. I can see why people would like this movie, but it just doesn't appeal to me.