What's new

Films that made you cry... (1 Viewer)

MattBu

Stunt Coordinator
Field of Dreams - Kills me EVERY single time. The scene where Kevin Costner is playing catch with Ray Liotta is enough to start the waterworks.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Pay It Forward - Calling All Angels playing over the slow camera pullback with Hunt and Spacey at the end makes me cry with the sheer human goodness thats brought out in the film.
I haven't seen that movie, but omygod I love that song! I had no idea it was featured in Pay It Forward. I've been a Jane Siberry fan since 1984 and a kd lang fan since 1988, and I was thrilled when I heard they were working together. I first heard the song in Wim Wender's Until the End of the World. I don't believe in angels, but I cry everytime I hear that song, it's just so mind-bogglingly beautiful.

I may have to see that movie now.

I'm seeing Jane live in a few days. Brilliant lady, she is. An unappreciated Canadian national treasure (too bad they don't realize it).

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Btw, Jason_Els, your post on the last page was one of my favorite posts I've ever read on this forum. Kudos.

Jerry Macguire
-After the big game, "You had me at hello", "You are my ambassador of quan"

Color Purple
-Reunited with her family at the end

Selena
-When the doctor comes out to tell the family she is dead

The Hurricane
-"I've been in here for fifteen years"

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
Vicki_M wrote

Let me know what you think of the movie Vicki.

After you've had a good cry, that is.......

Immortal Beloved. That darned movie that gets me every time - and I've seen it several times.

Also, and this one is a bit embarassing to admit, the first time I saw The Truman Show, I got teary eyed.

Mawiyah

Agent
A beautiful moment in Titanic that hasn't been mentioned and made me cry was the old couple lying in a bed completely surrounded by water and peacefully holding each other, just surrendering to their fate.

Life is Beautiful has been mentioned several times - but I'm mentioning it again because it's the only movie that made me sob and laugh at the same time -- when the little boy is reunited with his mother and while he is in her arms he sees a tank and cries "we won!" -- oh God, that killed me.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Oh, one more. . .

The Inn of the Sixth Happiness is an odd film. It generally hasn't aged well given its rather simplistic story line and simple characterizations but despite this survives because of the lovely Welsh landscape and the very strong performances by the cast. And it was the performance of Bergman, but moreso Robert Donat in a remarkably touching scene where the local mandarin announces to Genai that he has decided to become a Christain because of the example she sets. The scene takes place on the verge of war where all the splendors of the past are boxed or boarded-up and he tells her that he does not believe they will meet again. Donat is so perfect, he delivers his lines with a tinge of regret, but with a heartfelt sadness and genuine admiration- even love yet he retains the high dignity of his position by not demonstrating the emotion in his actions. Bergman, tired, worried, and haggard from the war preparations just lets-go, first in disbelief then in genuine appreciation for this, her oldest friend, and finally, in tears as she realizes her dream of inspiring Christianity in someone else-- particularly someone so close to her. It's a beautiful scene just for the sheer generosity of Donat's character and the deepest appreciation in Bergman's.

It's like they say, "Now, at the end of the world, let us tell each other how much we care for we shall not meet again."

Donat gives another tear-jerking performance in Goodbye Mr. Chips, for which he won as Oscar. The story of a beloved private school professor the final scene is immensely moving. It's the kind of ending all teachers would love to have for their career.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Sad scenes don't affect me in movies, but the occasional happy ending does. I can't say I've actually cried, but I have had tears welling up. The best example is the end of You've Got Mail when Meg and Tom get together.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I'll never forget going to see a double feature of THE ELEPHANT MAN and ORDINARY PEOPLE at a theater (talk about BRUTAL!) and they hit the lights immediately after the final scene for THE ELEPHANT MAN and caught both me and my cousin with tears in our eyes. Of course, being GUYS, we jumped up and stomped out of the theater not saying anything about it until years later.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'll mention a super obscure one.

Toby and the Koala
- When the Koala's mother dies and when Tipper (or Dipper?) dies.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
At their memorial service which was held a few weeks after they lost their lives, 40,000 people gathered in New York City to pay homage to Grandma and Grandpa, with eulogies by the Mayor Andrew Carnegie. There was another memorial ceremony held two years later in Straus Square on Broadway and 106th Street."
-- Robert K. Straus

Mawiyah

Agent
Thanks, Jason, for your information about the Titanic couple -- it makes it all the more touching to know the story behind it. :)

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
This topic does pop up in a post every so often, but it's a good one.

Schindler's List - saw it in the theater...someone got it for me on video, have never watched it...not sure if I can watch it again.

Saving Private Ryan - same thing, although this one isn't as wrenching as Schindler.

(Aside, I'm wondering if the Gibson Passion movie will be similar...too much to take more than once.)

E.T. - doesn't get me every time, but the first few viewings definitely.

Apparently Spielberg knows how to push my buttons.

Field of Dreams "Hey, Dad?...wanna have a catch?"

It's a Wonderful Life If I make it past the the telegram that puts him over the top, then I lose it when Harry offers the toast to "the richest man in town."

Mr. Holland's Opus - ending absolutely designed to make you cry...and it works...

I am Sam...again, total emotional manipulation, but hey it works...

Forrest Gump - when he asks Jenny if Little Forrest is smart...and again at her grave.

Dances With Wolves - at the end when his friend is yelling after him.

Toy Story 2 - "When she loved me..." THIS is the song Newman should have won the Oscar for.

The Iron Giant - ..."Superman"...one of the most underrated animated features of ALL time...

Brice

Stunt Coordinator
"polly"

that's all i have to say.
yes, that's the parrot movie
it was waaaay too depressing for me
couldn't tell ya why.

Brice

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
LOTR: The Return of the King - This will be serious waterworks. The book is heart-wrenching. I remember as a boy running to my mother, completely unconsolable when I finished this book. Half from the story and half in that this series, which took me a year to read, was over. The combination of this book and Howard Shore's score (which has so far driven me to tears all on its own)... I'm going to have to leave the theater. I'm almost embarassed to go see it.
How right I was! I was very blessed to be at Trilogy Tuesday with other fans who didn't mind crying either. I didn't feel embarassed in the slightest. Deeply, deeply, moving. It's almost religious.

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
"Awakenings" -- This movie constitutes audience abuse
"Dumbo" -- When the mother elephant reaches through the bars of the cage and rocks her baby in her trunk. Robert Stack* and I have similar troubles with that scene.

*As General Stilwell in "1941"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks