What's new

Films that made you cry... (1 Viewer)

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
We're not talking just "choked up", or "moved", but actually had real tears rolling down your cheeks...

For me, the worst by far was "Life is Beautiful". My wife and I had to sit in the theatre and compose ourselves before we could leave (ending up the last one's out). Couldn't even discuss it on the way home.

"Brian's Song" was the first one to do it.

Most recently "My Dog Skip"...

Animals and Kids... WWWAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

- Jack

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
I find the older I get the more often I get teary at the movies. A couple real tear-jerkers I can think of.

Shadowlands: with Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger. The scene with C.S. Lewis and his stepson in the attic always gets the waterworks flowing.

My Life: with Michael Keaton. This is the nuclear weapon of tear jerkers. A dying father leaving a video legacy for his infant son. Cried like a baby in this one.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
At least you didn't write, "Flem that made you cry" :D

The aforementioned Brian's Song got me when I was a wee young'n. Magnolia usually gets me at the end, as well as The Royal Tenenbaums.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i am sam is a cry fest. so is grave of the fireflies

mr. holland's opus:

gymnasium scene at the end

the sixth sense:

haley joel osment (sp?) tells mom about grandmother/"angel" scene

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
Forrest Gump - during the scene where Forrest says goodbye to Jenny towards the end gets me choked up every time.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The Green Mile was my first, and I really let it out during and after the stadium speech in We Were Soldiers. Home Alone was an "almost."

Janna S

Second Unit
Glory.

Terms of Endearment. I read that they use this film to induce tears in a science study of the composition of tears (apparently the chemical composition of tears differs according to the cause of the crying - fear, laughter, grief, etc.)

My Life as a House.

Big ditto on Shadowlands . . . gets me EVERY TIME. And on the Sixth Sense scene mentioned above. And Brian's Song.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I've only cried at 2 movies in my life. I've gotten choked up at dozens, but only had tears rolling down my face twice.

The first one was at Schindler's List. I could feel them starting when the announcement came over the radio, and by the time the shot of people walking down the hill changed from B & W to Color, they were rolling. Happens every time I watch it, which would be about 5 times I've seen it in the last 10 years.

The second was Saving Private Ryan. The very end when Ryan stands up and salutes Captain Miller's grave. Always gets me going.

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with the comments by a previous poster, as I get older I tend to be more emotional while watching films.

Its a weird feeling when its the "happy tears" and I experienced those on,

It's a Wonderful Life

and

Singin In The Rain

A recent movie that has brought out emotions,

Spirited Away

And here are some more,

Casablanca
Old Yeller
Field of Dreams
Glory
Rudy

A recent Entertainment Weekly(Sean Penn cover) lists the top 50 "tearjerkers" movies and while its an ok list it omits Casablanca and Singin in the Rain. Go Figure.

Raymond.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
I am a famous cryer at movies, starting with Bambi.

Then I moved on to Old Yeller.

I am pathetically easy to manipulate - I've been known to tear up just because the scene on the screen is so gorgeous (FOTR, Winged Migration). I even snuffle during sad moments in films I don't like (ET, Saving Private Ryan).

Here's some more weepies, though by no means a complete list:

The Elephant Man...blubbering commences with the Barber Adagio.

The Ghost & Mrs. Muir
Goodbye Mr. Chips (original)
City Lights
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Gladiator
The Green Mile
Steel Magnolias
The Joy Luck Club (Saw it after my mother had just died.)
Glory
The Iron Giant
Grave of the Fireflies
Whale Rider

Lonesome Dove (Made for TV, but it does the job.)

The list of films where I tear-up but don't have actual tears rolling down my cheeks would be much MUCH longer and would include the obvious (Shadowlands, Sixth Sense) and the not so obvious (funeral scene in Master & Commander, end of Edward Scissorhands).

However, this river of tears is only a prelude, a mere drop in the bucket, compared to the briney gallons I will shed on Trilogy Tuesday during ROTK. I've bawled during the last chapters (and appendices) of the book for 37 years. The movie will undo me.

I'm taking an entire box of kleenex with me.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Films I cried at:

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - when Spock died
Star Trek III: The Search For Spock - when the Enterprise blew up
Star Trek: Generations - when Kirk died
Titanic - when Rose saw that Jack had died (this one happened because my ex-fiancee had broken up with me just before the film's release, and we had plans to see the film when it came out, so it was a bit carthatic for me)
Spider-Man and Star Wars: Episode II - because the deaths of Uncle Ben and Shmi in the respective films came just after my dad's death a couple of months before
Forrest Gump - when I saw Forrest at Jenny's grave
and of course, Field of Dreams - the last 10-15 minutes.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
The aforementioned Schindler's List is definitely #1 on my list. Easily the most devistating movie I've ever seen. The "list is life" speech starts it, and then the actual families of the survivors just brings it home. A good second is To Kill a Mockingbird.

Cagri

Second Unit
I was about 8 years old when I first saw The Champion and I remember I cried through the whole film. The second one was Schindler's List.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks