What's new

Films that made you cry... (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I have never cried in a movie. I have been moved before, by many of the movies mentioned here, but never cried.

The only time I came close to crying was watching the 20th Anniversary rerelease of ET. But that was my grandmother had died that morning, and I was trying to find something to do to distract me. It was a very bad film choice.

Ruslan

Stunt Coordinator
Schindler's List for me...I can usually hold it back, but I had tears down my face for half the film, knowing that it was all true. Life is Beautiful came close to breaking me too.

The end of Iron Giant chokes me up each time, and I remember the end of Good Will Hunting got to me.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Instead of my usual list, I'll mention just one - The Mighty:
when Max is running barefoot through the snow after the ambulance taking away his dead friend

Just try not to lose it watching that. You won't make it.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Shawshank Redemption
Forest Gump
Titanic
Schindlers List
Before Sunrise
Life is Beautiful
Antwone Fisher
Braveheart
Good Will Hunting

All the above always get me ... no matter how many times i see them.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Never happened to me past my early childhood. I'm incapable of crying, a sure sign that I don't have a heart.:D

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
2 off the top of my head:
Grave of the Fireflies
Sliding Doors (I don't know what it is, but this gets me every time!)

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
The first one I remember crying at the end of or during was (don't laugh) "Savannah Smiles" when I was a really little kid (like 6 or 7). I have no idea why I cried, but I did. I've always meant to watch it again to see why I felt so moved, but it's not exactly a film that comes on TV often.

Recent films I've cried during are, as several others have mentioned, "Schindler's List" (the only film I swore to never watch again because, emotionally, I couldn't handle watching it again and "getting used to it"), and (again, it's a point and laugh situation) "A.I." The much maligned ending has me weeping from the time Monica is brought back to life by the machines
all the way to the final fade out.

What it all comes down to with the latter for me is this: what if you could have one more day with the person you loved most? Would you do it? That is a question that I've thought about a good bit these last few years, and every time I watch "A.I.", those feelings get pulled back to the surface.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I don't really cry at movies, but the last one that had me going in that particular emotional sense was All About My Mother.

The aforementioned Life Is Beautiful and Schindler's List definitely hit me really hard. That's partly because most of my grandparents' families were wiped out in the Holocaust (ah yes, The Pianist goes in here too), although this was more true of Schindler's List, since Life Is Beautiful is arguably less about the Holocaust per se than it is about the love of a father for his wife and son. Although one certainly doesn't need any such personal connection with those events to feel the emotional power from those movies.

It wasn't the sort of feeling that you normally associate with something that makes you cry, but undoubtedly the strongest emotion I ever felt in a theater was in Schindler's List, when you realize that the train full of the women is bound for Auschwitz. IIRC, plenty of deaths had already happened on-screen by that point in the movie, but that moment just overwhelmed me. I remember burying my head in the shoulder of my friend sitting next to me, since I was barely able to watch what I thought was going to happen next.

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
I'll back you up on A.I. Very tearjerking final segment.

The robot boy finally gets what he wants, just one day where he can feel the love of his mother all to himself, then lays down beside her as she dies (and he cannot) to be "content" for eternity *sniff*

- Jack

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
Platoon
JFK
Leaving Las Vegas
Magnolia
Terms of Endearment
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Requiem for a Dream is the one that really kills me everytime :frowning: .

I just saw 21 Grams and that had me swelled up pretty good.

James_G

Stunt Coordinator
Rudy

I'm not a particularly big football fan, but when Rudy steps onto the field for the first time I lose it. :b

Also Schindler's List.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Field of Dreams gets me every time.

The Color Purple is another.

I know it's not a movie but the miniseries Band of Brothers has me in tears in several parts but especially the last two episodes.

David_Giles

Stunt Coordinator
awakenings ...Too many parts to mention...but the part where he dances with the girl at the hospital and when his mother see's him for the first time "awake".

Forrest Gump was another that got me a lil red eyed.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I'm a bit of a softie. Usually when I cry at a movie, it's "tears of joy" during scenes that show especially strong love or compassion.

These get me every single time:
It's a Wonderful Life ("Here's to my big brother George, the richest man in town!")

The Wizard of Oz ("It's going to be so hard to say goodbye")

Yellow Submarine ("All you need is love")

Casablanca ("Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of your life")

Toy Story 2 (that damn Randy Newman/Sarah McLachlan song...)

Also cried (or at least lump in the throat) at:
Fellowship of the Ring
Fantasia 2000
(the "Firebird Suite" sequence)
Moulin Rouge!
Antwone Fisher
Dancer in the Dark
The Deer Hunter
The Scent of Green Papaya
The Vertical Ray of the Sun
El Norte
Good Will Hunting
Madadayo
Red Beard
Ikiru
Scenes from a Marriage
Harold and Maude
Princess Mononoke
The Killing Fields
Love Actually
Ordinary People
The Sweet Hereafter
Rabbit-Proof Fence
Snoopy Come Home
Seabiscuit
She's Having a Baby
(Kate's music used so perfectly here)
Sophie's Choice
Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
A Woman Under the Influence

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks