What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Films that made you cry... (1 Viewer)

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I've cried at a number of films mentioned already, but one I saw recently that had me in the fetal position was Iris. Damn, what a heart wrenching film. Judi Dench and Jim Broadbent are brilliant thespians.

Another favorite film to cry at when I'm in a weepy mood is Waking the Dead. Haunting.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Philadelphia. My god, that Neil Young song at the wake at the end. Not to mention Tom Hanks soliloquy during the opera scene. I absolutely LOVE that movie.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I've never cried, but these are pretty damn close.

Forrest Gump
- When Forrest finds out he's a dad. It works in so many ways for me.

Glory
- When Colonel Shaw looks out over the sea, and he knows there's a good chance he won't make it back. And there are other scenes as well, particularly "Lonely Christmas".

The Green Mile
- The end.

Grave of the Fireflies
- I have a little sister, and it makes this movie even more unbearable.

Dumb and Dumber
- Because it was that funny.

There's Something About Mary
- This one too.

Cinema Paradiso
- The ending

Clint

Stunt Coordinator
I apologize if it has been mentioned before:

Last of the Mohicans
-The score, the cinematography, towards the ending

Titanic
-The ending

The Road Home
-It's in Chinese w/ English subtitles, but man waterfalls came out from this one

Somewhere In Time (Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour)
-The ending of course

The Mission
-Another one with the score, the cinematography and the ending

These are the only films that have made me really cry:

IKIRU: the song that Takashi Shimura's character sings moves me to tears just even hearing it.

VERTIGO: just the concept of losing someone and trying to recreate the image of that person is a very upsetting concept. The images of Jimmy Stewart suffering and bringing suffering on to another person is a tearful and dark example of "sehnsucht"*

DEATH IN VENICE: another tale of sehnsucht, similar to VERTIGO in some ways. Dirk Bogarde's haunted and haunting performance, coupled with Mahler's "Adagietto" from his 5th symphony, brings me to tears every time I watch this film.

That's my list.

DADA for now....

* "sehnsucht" is the German word for "longing" or
"yearning". It is my favorite word in a foreign
language.

joe jackson

Auditioning
Zhang Yimou films make me cry...
"To Live" "The Road Home" and "Happy Times"

Italian neo-realist films
"The Bicycle Thief"
"Nights of Cabria"
"La Strada"
If I even touch the dvd for "Umberto D" I start to cry.

I remember seeing "Once were warriors" at the theater and the entire audience was in painful convulsions after the daughter is found dead and the father tries to cut down the tree she had hung herself from

ditto "The Green Mile" "Field of Dreams"

Burk W

Auditioning
Great thread!

Man, I never cry at movies but the two that nail me every time are...

Iron Giant - "Superman"
Toy Story 2 - Jessie's song

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I cried just reading this thread recalling so many of the mentioned moments. I would like to echo some of those, namely Forrest Gump, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Titanic, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, and The Passion of Joan of Arc.

I find that I am susceptible to music. Give me a good score and I'm all over a movie. Give me an exceptional score and I'll just melt, particularly if it's a sad film. Of all the films mentioned above only Schindler and Gump had nothing to do with the music. There are however, a few others:

Edward Scissorhands - I don't know WHAT Danny Elfman was on but the ice dancing scene and the final scene just blow me away. I lose it. I'm losing it now and I'm watching the inane Toast of New Orleans! It's almost time to pull old Edward out and watch it. It's snowing and Christmas is near.

LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring - I cried when I first saw The Shire and realized that PJ had gotten it right. This was going to be special. I cried at the illumination of the Dwarrowdelf. Shore's score just pierces my heart and, as I've always been fond of the dwarves, I'm just enveloped by the tragedy of the fall of this once proud and noble realm. It's a sign of what Middle Earth had become, how far from grace it had fallen, and a symbol that from that point on, the story becomes one tragedy mounted on another.

LOTR: The Two Towers - This is weird because I didn't expect it. It's Theoden's (all too brief :angry: ) recitation of Where Is the Horse and Rider?. In the extended version Eowyn's singing of the lament leaves me in breathless tears too. LOTR is at its best when they stick to Tolkien's dialogue but Hill's delivery and Shore's powerful score just cleave my heart in two. Most Noble.

Peggy Sue Got Married - Again a hauntingly sweet score mated to the scene where she visits her grandparents and the scene where she answers the phone. The grandparents whom I am closest to are still alive (though failing) but I can imagine a time when they won't be and this just KILLS me everytime. It's the only time travel movie where anyone considers they can go back and tell the people they love the most just how much they do love them. A second chance in the face of time, what would we not give for that? (I'm crying now as I write this. I'm such a wuss).

1776 - Mama Look Sharp. It's not fiction. It happened. When I think of the sacrifices made in the revolution and how so many died so young.

Star Wars: A New Hope - Didn't expect it either but sitting in the theater for the re-release as soon as the words came up on the screen, "Long ago..." I LOST it. Seeing it made me take stock of my life and just what it would be like without it. And going back, nearly 20 years after I first saw it in the theater, was WONDERFUL like nothing else.

LOTR: The Return of the King - This will be serious waterworks. The book is heart-wrenching. I remember as a boy running to my mother, completely unconsolable when I finished this book. Half from the story and half in that this series, which took me a year to read, was over. The combination of this book and Howard Shore's score (which has so far driven me to tears all on its own)... I'm going to have to leave the theater. I'm almost embarassed to go see it.

P.S - My sig line was written while thinking of film scores that have brought me to tears.

AlexanderS

Second Unit
Ive only cried twice during movies and they were both kids movies. First was "Honey I Shrunk the Kids". The scene where Anty dies (he was the giant ant) really broke me up. Of course I was around 10 at the time but I still remember it. The other was "Finding Nemo" because my dad had passed and it kind of reminded me of him.

Kami

Screenwriter
Films usuually don't make me physically shed a tear really, even though they move me in profound ways sometimes.

I got watery eyes during Boromir's death scene in LOTR: FOTR, got really choked up during The Green Mile (you know the scene).

But the one movie that made me truly cry was LOTR: Return of the King. It was the last thing I expected but before I knew it, I had tears in my eyes as

(real spoilers ahead, read AFTER you've seen ROTK)

Frodo and Sam sat on the slopes of Mount Doom after Gollum's fall with the ring, flowing lava surrounds them, they pretty much accept that they are good as dead, chaos ensues around them, Aragorn and his army are surrounded by thousands of Orcs at the Black Gates, and then Sam gives a speech about the Shire and Rosie Cotton, and they embrace each other....Frodo says "I'm glad you're here with me Sam....here at the end of all things"...slow fade to black....fade back into the Eagles soaring in with Gandalf on Gwaihir's back.

Another scene that made me lose it was Frodo telling Sam to go home and Sam's reaction.

Also the Grey Havens goodbyes:

"Well, here at last, dear friends, on the shores of the Sea comes the end of our Fellowship in Middle-earth. Go in peace! I will not say: Do not weep; for not all tears are an evil"

GOD! Somebody pass the kleenex :)

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Ok, mine are:
Titanic, the scene where Jenette Goldstein tucks her kids into bed and tells them a (last) story
Bridges Of Madison County, the ending...
and finally...
Armageddon, when Bruce Willis says goodbye to Liv Tyler (Ok, so it's a cheesy scene, but it still gets me, and I'm not ashamed to confess it ;)).
A.I. was close, I am one of those who found its ending absolutely fantastic in its sadness.

Phew, just writing this brings tears to my eyes :b

StevenFC

Second Unit
Too many to remember all, but here goes...

The Remains of the Day
Shadowlands
The Inner Circle
Superman
Master and Commander
Will Penny
The Apostle
White Christmas
Destry Rides Again
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
It's a Wonderful Life
Star Trek 2 and Generations
Legend of 1900
A Family Thing
Driving Miss Daisy
Glory
Sling Blade
The Manchurian Candidate
Babette's Feast
Spartacus
Schindler's List
Affliction
West Side Story
Deep Impact
The Mortal Storm

You get the picture.....

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Pearl Harbor - Skipping the first 90 minutes makes the attack a lot more powerful. :)

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
The two movies that really made me breakdown were:

Casualties Of War
Boys Don't Cry

Others that get to me are:

Platoon
Saving Private Ryan
Backbeat
Iron Giant
Prince Of Egypt

And the scene in Forrest Gump:

He is talking about John Lennon and says "For no good reason someone shot that man".

JamesDrake

Agent
Legends of the Fall throughout the whole movie but mainly when Samuel is shot up and Tristan finds him right then.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I have a new one:
The Last Samurai - an amazing, beautiful film, I didn't actually cry, but teared a few times.

I didn't see anyone mention this one, but I may have missed it. The film My Girl with the Culkin kid just killed me the first time I saw it. Maybe because I wasn't expecting it. When there at the funeral and the girl is screaming he needs his glasses, he needs his glasses as he lays in the casket. It just killed me me. The movie is light hearted and kind of dark, all at the same time.

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
I would have to say that the three best "make me cry" movies i have seen are, in no particular order:

Forest Gump - "I miss you Jenny" at the gravesite... Hanks face during this is soul destroying.

Saving Private Ryan - "Tell me i am a good man" over Hanks gravesite absolutely makes me howl.

Pay It Forward - Calling All Angels playing over the slow camera pullback with Hunt and Spacey at the end makes me cry with the sheer human goodness thats brought out in the film.

Special mention to Schindlers List as well, for most of the aforementioned explanations in previous posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks