What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Films that made you cry... (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
A.I. ending where David finally sleeps...
American Beauty... the last scene/montage with V.O.
Bram Stoker's Dracula.. Oldman NAILS the melancholy and feeling of loss...
Casper... scene on lighthouse, and Amy Brennerman at end. AND score is beautiful...
Christmas Story... scene at end when kids are in bed and Darren and wife sit and look at tree w/snow falling...
Contact... Scene where Jodi meets her "dad"...
The Crow... Many, many scenes and Brandon was just perfect. And what a G@ddam tragic loss...
Dark City... when Murdoch brings the daylight for the 1st time and he "meets" Connely on the boardwalk.... music helps
The Dead Zone... Walken's scene at end...
Edward Scissorhands... A love that can never be...
Field of Dreams... Catch scene, too late for me now...
Forrest Gump... Jennie grave
Donnie Darko... song at end over montage... Brilliant
Ghost... saw it in Texas and TRUCKERS were sobbing.
Gladiator... end again..
It's a Wonderful life... happiness tears triggered by end...
Midnite Cowboy... OVERDUE for an SE, BTW! End on bus...
Moulin Rouge... Oh my, I lost it badly
EVERY time for awhile.
Nightmare before Christmas... Sally's song, end on hill in graveyard.
Ordinary People... Scene where Tim Hutton flips out during flashbacks especially.
Perfect Storm... M. Wahlberg... "There's only love..."
Romeo is Bleeding... many scenes, Oldman's voice over, and the end with the music. "I remember, the way they looked at me..."
Saving Private Ryan... when Hanks goes, and earlier when Ribisi is going and calling, "Mom..."
Scrooge, Scrooged, Christmas Carol... Redemption always gets me.
State of Grace... VERY melancholy throughout, the music, Penn and Oldman...
Taxi Driver... odd, I know. Just the overall loneliness and isolation of Travis, "Loneliness has followed me my whole life. I'm god's lonely man." His rejection by Cybil and film's overall bleak vibe.
Titanic... "...Rose jumping off the lifeboat to run back to Jack, Jack dying, When old Rose is "sleeping" and she goes back to the wreckage to reunite with Jack..." MAJOR ditto.
Vanilla Sky... MY LORD, the scene on the roof at the end with the twin towers in the background, Sophia saying, "I will find you again." The jump, the Sigur Ros music and the montage of David's life...
Vertigo... The obsession thang clicked me on many levels..
Wuthering Heights... Ralph Fiennes, Music alone gets me, but the scene after Heathcliff dies and goes to Cathy...

Recent... Lost in Translation ALMOST had me, probably will next time...
and Big Fish, the hospital, story, aftermath scene.
Brought back memories of my Dad in the same sit. and I was COMPLETELY gone, almost convulsing....

and tangent,I know... Several Trek TOS eps... "City..."
Twilight Zone... "Night of the meek"... The one with Jean Smart as an android...
and most notably, Buffy constantly... "The Body, Forever" "The Gift" "I only have eyes for you" and random moments just about all over the place.

Well, (sniff...) that's it for now...

Time for the kleenex, y'all...!

:) D

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Hmm interesting thread...

Signs -- Kind of an unusual choice, but the dinner sequence where Mel Gibson starts to eat everyone elses dinner and the kids both start crying just kills me.

E.T. -- E.T. is almost more of a "feeling" for me. It just touches the most innocent place inside of a lot of people I guess.

Braveheart -- The ending execution.

Ran -- When the old man is looking into the sky. For some reason that shot gets to me.

The Pianist

Schindler's List

Amistad

Malcolm X

Titanic

Whale Rider

Transformers: The Movie - Ha, I know, but when Prime does, I'd lose it as a kid.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Seven pages in and nobody's mentioned Frida. That's one recent film I can recall that had me.

JonSpice

Stunt Coordinator
"Audrey Rose" it's about a child and reincarnation, during and after the movie I was crying. I never want to see that gut wrenching sad story again. They billed it as a horror movie but it was just about the unexplained. It's out on DVD but I will never put myself through that experience again. Unless you have a heart of stone I wouldn't reccommend you seeing it. It was good in view and sound but the childs crying became mine also.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
The older I get, the more tragedy I see and experience in the world, the easier it is for me to cry at the movies.

We probably all remember getting choked up by Charlotte's Web and Old Yeller when we were kids. Then we hit our teen years, and nothing moves us to weep in public. Once you get out of college, and start putting life into perspective, and realizing the worth of simple things, the more open you are to those emotions you grew up learning to suppress.

These are the films that never fail to move me...and hence, I don't watch them unless I know I'm ready to be moved:

What Dreams May Come

Magnolia

Alive

The Color Purple

Dead Man Walking

Philadelphia

Mary Poppins

Cast Away

The Remains of the Day

Schindler's List

The Last Temptation of Christ

Tim Beebe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Off the top of my head...

Moulin Rouge
LotR: RotK
...anything where a pet dies in an overly dramatic way...

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
Most recently for me:

Grave of the Fireflies from the beggining tone that sets the stage, the fact in that you know what is going to happen is the real magic here.

Whale Rider

The school speech alone earned her the Best Actress nomination.

Raymond

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Just caught Gallipoli on cable and the ending put a gigantic knot in my throat, very similar ending to Glory, with men knowing they were going into almost certain doom and still going anyway.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My Life Without Me

Sarah Polley's final monologue is really something. Got me good.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Happy movies ususally make me cry more than sad ones (although I still can't make it dry eyed through Terms of Endearment).

Antwone Fisher and Pieces of April are two recent ones that brought tears to my eyes.

Rajvir

Agent
ET has been mentioned a lot in this thread but it is one of the films that brings a tear to my eye, no matter how many times I've seen it. The scene in wich ET is being resuscitated does it for me. It's the sheer brilliance of Spielberg's directing/storytelling and Henry Thomas acting that pulls it off.

I think Tom Hanks is one of Hollywood's all time leading actors and he is so good at his craft that his characters almost always bring up a reaction for me. Forrest Gump (Jenny Grave scene) had me in tears. I also had a tear in my eye when he lost Wilson in Cast Away. It was only a volleyball but Hanks acting made it seem like so much more. Also in Big when he spends the night alone in a hotel and hears gunshots and other disturbing noises outside his window and he cuddles up in his chair and becomes teary eyed. I don't know how old he was then, but he captured the look of a 13 year old boy who was all alone without his mother. Again in Philadelphia he was magnificent as the wrongfully dismissed Andrew Beckett and had me teary eyed on a few occassions.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I think I wept pretty much all the way through Return of the King, just because it was done so well, and the scenes that had played out in my head were comming to life on screen. The two scenes that got me the most were Sam "But I'll carry you!" and Aragorn's "You bow to no one".

Other than that, The Hurricane, The Green Mile, the 1996 World Series video (yea thats right)and Rudy.

Bryan

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Miracle in Milan at the end
And at the beginning when the poor homeless people run from place to place where the sun is shining to be warm. This part tears me up becuase I asked my parents(when I was about 11 or 12 "What are those stupid people doing?" and was upbraided by my father. I am choking back tears because I asked such a callous question.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks