What's new

Fiance wants Sub! (1 Viewer)

Gau

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a pair of paradigm mini-monitors and a yamaha htr-5740. my fiance hellped to pick out the mini-monitors over the atoms which we originally went to audition.
so now she wants a subwoofer, albeit a small one. I dont want to spend too much right now, maybe in a couple of months i will have saved about 2-300$ for one. I am looking for something inexpensive, definetly not more than $300. and it has to be small (yaf). i've been brwsing the boards but everyone likes to spend mega-bucks on them. i cant. any suggestions?

also, in the meantime, can i use my altec-lansing PC subwoofer as a short time sub for my ht system? its a 2.1 altec lansing PC speaker system that i hardly use anymore as I game with headphones on and cant listen to music on my pc now that i have real speakers ;) (working on that wireless streaming with the squeezebox http://www.slimdevices.com/)

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
depends on your definition of small, but for $2-300 you should check out the HSU STF-1 (8") or the HSU STF-2 (10"). You really can't go wrong with either of these. If I were you I'd go ahead and get the STF-2, better to spend $100 more now than have what-if syndrome. You also don't say what size room you have, but HSU makes a great subwoofer at a great price. If you stretch your budget a little more we can start to compare SVS to HSU, but at $300 you'd be hard pressed to beat the HSU.

Gau

Stunt Coordinator
thanks! i've looked at HSU and am considering the stf-1 / stf-2.
My living room is rather large since it's an open floor plan condo that includes the dining are, kitchen, and an office/den. but my seating position is quite close to the tv, 6'-8. i guess i'll have to measure the open area and calculate the volume.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
What about building one yourself? If you're handy at all you could put together a pretty nice little sub and build it exactly the way she likes it... you could even let her design/finish it! There are a bunch of ways to go... check the DIY forum and do a search for small or budget subs. To help you get started here's a few links...

check out the Bolt sub by Raw Acoustics
Also this might be a good thread
Actually,
this might be the winner.

But you should seriously consider the DIY route, you can get phenomenal results for the money you put in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks