What's new

Help With Wiring (1 Viewer)

TylerDFranklin

Auditioning
Hey guys, I just bought my first house and am finally able to set up my home theater the way I want it, but could use a little advice... well, maybe a lot of advice. Tonight I'll try to post some pictures of what my setup currently looks like, but just to give you an idea in the meantime, I have a Toshiba 56HM195 TV, and a full Klipsch sound system with a Sony Receiver. I'll post links to everything below. Well, my problem is primarily with wiring. I demand to have the surround speakers behind the couch, but that leaves wires running across the floor in the living room which drives my fiance insane! Of course it bothers me, too, but I've been trying to think of a better way to do it and the other solutions don't make me overly happy... I'd like to run them through the attic, however according to my friend, the only way to run them down the wall would be to knock holes in the wall to pull them through, otherwise I would have to drill to the outside of my house and run the wires that way. Are there any other solutions that someone can think of? I really don't want to go drilling holes in my house if I can avoid it. Is there some kind of wireless adapter? How have you guys solved this problem? Thanks for the help!

EDIT - Nevermind, won't let me post links, however I have a Toshiba 56HM195 TV, and the Synergy F-2 Series speakers from Klipsh (2 tower, 2 surround, 1 center) and the Synergy 10" sub.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It depends on the construction of your house. I have run well over a mile of speaker, video, network and phone cable in my house and every bit of it was run through the walls and the attic. I have access to almost every top plate from the attic so it makes things easy. Wireless has been discussed in a few of the forums and it just doesn't provide the quality that most of us expect.

Just last week, I ran cable in my cousin's new house for his DirecTV install. He had a single cable run the living room and a single cable in the bedroom. Both rooms were getting DVRs that required dual runs of RG-6. Not a problem, we go up to the 2nd floor and climb up the drop-down ladder into the attic. We go to the back of his son's room and drop and extension ladder on top of the bedroom ceiling joists. I climb down with the drill. I find where the existing wires run into the wall. I start drilling a 1" hole in the top plate. I finally make it through a pair of 2x4's. I run my fish tape in and hit an obstacle - another board. I didn't see this house being built so I have to plan ahead. I add a 16" extension on my drill bit and start drilling through another pair of 2x4's. I run the fish tape in again and the 2nd hole is a little more difficult to hit but I finally do it. Then I find another board. After a lot of cussing, a break for dinner and a trip to Wal-Mart I attach a 12" extension to my existing extension which is attached to my drill bit. I end up with a 33" long drill bit and drilled through a top plate consisting of 6 2x4's. But I did it. 3.5 hours in an attic drilling. After that it only took us 15 minutes to pull four wire up the wall while talking via cell phones. The next day the DirecTV installer said he would have charged around $100 per cable and he would have had to use a more experienced installed with better tools to finish the job. I know it is a long story but it just shows that with a little determination, attic investigation and a very long drill bit you can run almost any wire through a wall.

-Robert

TylerDFranklin

Auditioning
Ok, well thank you. That is what I'd much prefer to do, however, you said you had to drill 3 or 4 holes in the wall, correct? That's the part I'm kind've afraid of, filling those holes to make sure that everything looks as it did before. I will definately consider it, but just out of curiosity, do they make wireless adapters for something such as this? I hate to lose the quality, but for the surround speakers, I think I could survive a slight loss in quality if the price wasn't too bad. Where could I find a wireless adapter?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I drilled zero holes through the wall. I drilled the holes in the top plate of the wall. Not familiar with wall construction, here's a little information - link. All of the wire was run through an existing junction box. I then used [ULR=http://www.broadbandutopia.com/levquicflusm.html]Quickport wall plates[/url] to add the new connections. These was no drywall repair needed. Again, I never drilled through the wall. I drilled from the attic into the wall cavity through the boards on top of the wall.

I've seen reviews of a few wireless surrounds and there are some built into HTiBs. But wired is the best way.

-Robert

TylerDFranklin

Auditioning
Ok, I see. Yea, that's exactly what I want to do. I guess my next question would be how did u get it down the wall to where you wanted it? Yea, I think I'd much prefer to run them through the walls if I can avoid having to drill holes in the wall.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wayne,
I've read your posts here and other forums for years but the In-Wall wiring post is the most informative I have ever read. I learned a few things.

-Robert

TylerDFranklin

Auditioning
Wayne,

Wow, thank you so much! That is exactly what I needed! I'm still reading through the guide, but that's just such awesome information. Thank you again! I'll let you know the results!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Good luck with the project Tyler, keep us posted!

And thanks for the kind words, Robert - quite a compliment coming from a guy who obviously already knows what he's doing!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garry
hey Tyler, There is this new wire I seen called "flatwire" It is pretty pricey but I bet it is great. Basicly this wire is put on the wall like a strip of tape running from point a to point b. Once it is on the wall you just get out some paint and paint over the wire. when it dries you can't even tell it is there. Yes the wire is that flat, really tripped me out. here is a link to their site. FlatWire Ready - Info on Audio, Video, Lighting, & Electrical Flat Wire
Hope this helps you.

TylerDFranklin

Auditioning
Wow, that very interesting, Thanks, I will definitely think about that. It is pricey, but that's a pretty nice solution for someone who doesn't want to crawl around in an attic. Thanks for the tip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lockheede
Recent bookmarks