What's new

Few Questions About Measurments And HT Set Up (1 Viewer)

John D Peterson

Auditioning
I am about to start with a small HT project and need a few suggestions and answers to some questions.

I have a 17x7ft wall that is set in about 24in and plan to enclose it. The enclosure will have a space for wide screen TV, rack, and 2 shelves.

1. What would be a good size area to allow for some wide screen TVs? I am looking to get the Sony Wega 50" LCD projection. The dimensions are 55x37x18. I was planning to give the TV inset area about 60x50x24. Would that suffice other TV brands any suggestions? I do not want to make it too small for future owners but not to big either.

2. What are the best dimensions for a rack? The height and depth are set at same for the TV inset (~??x50x24). What is the best width is what I need.

3. What is the best height for the viewing area of the TV to be at? The TV will be resting in the inset about X? inches off the ground. This is in a flat room (no stadium seating).

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi john - here's some general answers.

1. you want to be approximately 3-5 times the screen size away from the tv. so, for a 50" tv, you want to be about 150" back - approximately.

2. most gear's width is standard - right about 17". for depth, it depends. my 6-cd carosel changer is pretty deep - i think it's around 22". some receivers are pretty hefty and deep as well. i guess around 25" or so should be safe, but you'll have to take into consideration what you'll be putting in.

3. you should be viewing the tv dead-center from your viewing position - that is - sitting on your couch. in my case, i lucked out. on my couch, when sitting, i'm nearly dead-center to my mits 65".

since i suspect you may also have questions about speaker placement, i'll save you a post. :)

http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTh....html#chapter3

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi John. Welcome to HTF!

Since you are going to build a custom enclosure I am going to suggest a few things:

- I will move this post to the "Building a HT Area" fourm where the guys who have done similar projects hang out.

- Go out and get a copy of "Home Theater Builder" - this magazine specalizes in doing your own home theater building projects. They also have a section on this fourm where you can ask questions.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks