Amplifier "specs" and power hungry Polks

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roscoe, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Roscoe

Roscoe Auditioning

I am putting together an HT setup, and wish to use Polk fx500i surrounds, 450 sub, and cs 400i center to augment my good ole Monitor 10's. My room measures 12 x 18 wall to wall. I emailed Polk with a few questions about my plans, including any suggestions for amp specs to drive this set-up. I mentioned that I was looking at the HK avr225 for a receiver, and asked what they thought of the 55w into 8 ohm rating.

The response I got was that the HK receiver was insufficient for a room of this size, and that I should be looking for between 100 to 150 watts/channel. Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo were suggested. No mention was made of average vs peak wattage.

I only want a 5 channel receiver, and can't find anything with such an amp section without the bells & whistles (and big price tag). Do I really need this much juice?

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I've owned polks and the above receivers for years including your center channel. A decent HK receiver would be fine such as the 320/520 series. You won't need that much power to drive a room that size to VERY loud levels.

3. Chris Liberti

also the actual power output on the H/K is a lot more accurate than onkyo. The onkyo listed power is something like 85wpc all channels driven and the actual is around 30wpc. The H/K put out clos to the 75wpc that is listed.

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

5. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

I can tell you guys this. I bought a surplus Onkyo 595 from a BOSE outlet - new. It is excellent with my am-10 bose speakers. So good in fact I wanted to get ready for 7.1 and relegate the Bose to surround duty by getting a 2 channel amp and new FL and FR speakers. I,m considering Rocket, Vandersteen, and B&W. ( I have a definitive sub. )

So I now have an HK 520 in the same room. I paid $300 for the Onkyo and $650 for the HK. The HK is absolutely great.

I and my wife can both tell a great difference. But the H/k remote sucks compared to the Onkyo. I'm still waffeling. I luv the H/K. The 595 will do everthing I need in 5.1. But the H/K is almost future proof. but twice as much. Wife doesn't care - she just want s me to get the one I want.

I'll probably keep the H/K 520 and forget it. the new 525 will probably be out of my price range.

Some here like Marantz and Denon. The onkyo 700 also looks good.

Good Luck!

6. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

7. SteveMo

SteveMo Stunt Coordinator

Polks are awesome!

8. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I'll have to disagree. Polks are pretty darn efficient but at the same time can take good power.

I've driven my 12 year old polks to insane volumes with 60 watts. Polk generally hover around 90-91 db/1 watt efficiency.

Roscoe, it all boils down to how loud you want it. A good 60-80 watt HK will provide plenty of power. If you want mind blowing, ear popping loud then a separate amp will be needed as a receiver simply can't do it.

-edit- whoops, noticed my sp. I'll leave it be so everyone can have a good laugh.:b

9. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

10. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Roscoe,
    You should take Polk's advice. Use this SPL calculator to figure out how much power you'll need. The goal is to be able to achieve peak levels of 105db SPL at the listening position.

11. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Roscoe,

I used to have Polks on my main system with a Denon 70WPC HT receiver. My room is 15 x 18 and it simply was not enough power (yes the Polks do need more juice). I was listening so loud that my receiver fried. It has been fixed from the factory warrenty. I love the system and it now is in my bedroom.

The higher ended products of any manufacturer is closer to the published specs. I think with Onkyo you have to go to the 797 and higher to acheive closer to the published specs. I will post a site that tests these receivers/amps when I can find the address again. I know the $4,000 Denon 5803 is published at 170 WPC but clips at 138WPC. My Onkyo 797 clipped at about .6 volume. I have since by-passed the internal amps and now use two external amps to great success.

IMHO, get the most receiver you can for the money if you are not willing to go a little extra and use an external amp.