What's new

Fantasy book recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
If you want fantasy read George RR Martin. His series is A Song of Ice and Fire. First book is A Game of Thrones. READ THIS SERIES!

It it freaking awesome, I highly recomend it.

Later,
Marshall

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
David Gemmell- Legend
Marion Zimmer Bradley-Mists of Avalon
Gregory Maguire-Wicked : the life and times of the wicked witch of the west.
Tolkien (of course)
Neil Gaiman-Stardust
Neverwhere

Sarah S

Second Unit
Elizabeth Moon wrote a good fantasy series (which included Paksenarrion) -start with the book about Gird (can't remember the title right now.)

Elizabeth Hayden started an excellent trilogy with Rhapsody.

Ane Mccaffrey's Pern series is starting to concentrate more on romance, now....making the later ones a sort of mystery/romance w/fantasy/SF elements. I'll still keep buying them, but they are lower on my priority list than before.

Mercedes Lackey has about 3 or 4 different series going...the Valdemar serie, an Urban Elves series, and a series involving street musicsans called the Bardic Voices series. Anything in that series will have a bird in th title (The Lark and the Wren, etc).

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Well he said Science Fiction. I said Science Fantasy. There's a difference.
LOL I guess I missed that... seems to me most Science Fiction is all Fantasy's just in a different context :)
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman is a good "fantasy" book... The 4 horsemen are in it... but they ride Motorcycles :)
Brian

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I'll second China Mieville's Perdido Street Station, only because I've heard great things about it (it's on my backlist of books to read).

I also recommend Barbara Hambly's work, particularly the series that begins with "The Ladies of Mandrigyn". The female lead character I found quite realistic and easy to empathize with...somehow it was refreshing that she did not have supermodel facial features, plus had to live with facial scars from abuse and combat.

Joan D. Vinge's "Snow Queen" is another great book. Sure, it is considered science fiction, but reads like a great fantasy novel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks