What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ John Wick Chapter 2 -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While viewing John Wick Chapter 2, I was tempted to re-watch, and make note of the body count.

Without doing so, I'd bet that beyond true war films, inclusive of the storming of historic beachheads, that Mr. Stahelski's film may come close to Mr. Peckinpah's opus.

While violent, to the extreme, for those who accept the comic book fantasy of the work, it's an wild ride and fun way to spend a couple of very noisy hours.

No problem with this HDR'd 4k in projection, although it would certainly look better on a panel, a caveat that will ring true for any film that has a multitude of heavy scenes, and rich blacks.

Lionsgate's new UHD of the Summit release, is superb in all respects, as virtually all Lionsgate releases have been. As the largest indie studio, they're a decidedly class act.

The inclusion of Dolby Atmos will be noted when played with height channels, as bullet hits, and brass hitting the floor, are almost individually detectable.

Even though completed as a 2k DI, and up-rezzed to 4k, John Wick 2 is a superior entertainment, and a superb 4k Blu-ray disc.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Great film and expands on the great Wickiverse established in the first film.

Hope there are plenty more to come.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The first film was unexpectedly good, so I'm looking forward to this one. Thanks Mr. Harris.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
While viewing John Wick Chapter 2, I was tempted to re-watch, and make note of the body count.

Without doing so, I'd bet that beyond true war films, inclusive of the storming of historic beachheads, that Mr. Stahelski's film may come close to Mr. Peckinpah's opus.

While violent, to the extreme, for those who accept the comic book fantasy of the work, it's an wild ride and fun way to spend a couple of very noisy hours.

No problem with this HDR'd 4k in projection, although it would certainly look better on a panel, a caveat that will ring true for any film that has a multitude of heavy scenes, and rich blacks.

Lionsgate's new UHD of the Summit release, is superb in all respects, as virtually all Lionsgate releases have been. As the largest indie studio, they're a decidedly class act.

The inclusion of Dolby Atmos will be noted when played with height channels, as bullet hits, and brass hitting the floor, are almost individually detectable.

Even though completed as a 2k DI, and up-rezzed to 4k, John Wick 2 is a superior entertainment, and a superb 4k Blu-ray disc.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH
Robert,

One of the featurettes on the iTunes download does include a body count meter as each killing takes place. I believe that the number was 116.

Raul

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Great follow-up to the first one and a no-brainer UHD purchase for me.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I bought the first film as my initial UHD purchase (and a blind buy) because of the low price. I ended up enjoying the movie more than I expected. I'll be picking this one up as another blind buy once the price drops.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
"I'm with you, now. I'm with you."
- Michael Corleone, The Godfather
Well, Mr. Harris, I have finally given in.
I have just committed to a double-down Blind Buy purchase on both of the "John Wick" chapters.
But, just in case, I have also purchased Criterion's "The Marseille Trilogy" as a back up.
Yes, Mr. Harris, it is true. The deed is done. And Mr. Keanu Reeves shall be forever in your debt.;)

Last edited:

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
It's actually 128, which is less than I would have guessed. This chart breaks it down nicely:

https://www.visu.info/john-wick-2-kill-count/

LOL, that chart is hilarious after having seen the movie. Though I think that the knife 'kill' in "I'd like to open an account" can't be taken as a confirmed kill. This is further reinforced later via Lawrence Fishbourne's dialog when showing the scars on his neck.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, I am pretty much on record as not at all being a fan of the first John Wick picture. Mostly, I found it to be a turd.

Now here is the odd thing...I watched John Wick 2 on the plane on my way back from Europe and much to my surprise I found it to be far better than the first film. In fact if this was the first John Wick film I would have understood all the love people had for John Wick. Keanu is typically not an actor I enjoy watching but he is very credible and performs his action scenes quite well. He appears totally invested in his role and obviously put in a ton of work to perform the fight scenes in the film. So honestly, hats off to Mr. Reeves for this performance it likely comes in as one of his best. It is far more impressive than the first go round. Also on this second venture they get to shoot in some wonderful European locations making this a very good looking picture.

I found myself wanting to watch this in my home theater on a much larger screen thinking the film would be far more enjoyable on a big screen. I think the version on the plane was edited for content so in some ways I really have not actually seen the picture and now I feel like I have to give it a proper viewing.

This is a film I likely would never have seen had I not been trapped on a 7 hour flight and I am glad I watched it. The writing is still pretty terrible in spots and obviously the John Wick films are an exorcise in style over substance with a giant dose of cliche to go with the extensive action...but in a way I sort of felt this film was making fun of the first film a bit which was amusing.

So, while not a must see kind of picture it is a solid modern action film that I think betters the first entry.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Also is it just me or does anybody else when they watch these Wick films feel like there is bound to be a showdown at some point between John Wick and Bryan Mills with perhaps Robert McCall thrown in for good measure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yacubjkc
Recent bookmarks