What's new

Fantastic Four (1 Viewer)

Wayne Klein

Supporting Actor
Doom has been used three times? I saw him in the first FF movie, but where else did he turn up?
Technically four. He also showed up in Roger Corman’s production. Doom is a great character as well but really hasn’t been done right.

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
The two that came after that.
Huh, I thought the second FF film was focused on Galactus. Guess I'll have to watch it again.

I had no idea there were any recognizable supervillains in the third film. Just goes to show how bad the marketing campaign was.

But then I think that's been a problem with a few Marvel movies. The Black Panther ads were also very vague about the villain's identity.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Yeah, Doom was in both Tim Story films. Galactus was really just talked about until the end (where he appeared in the form of a cloud), but the Silver Surfer was the main "villain" - I use quotes because he was really more of a "crisis" character and not a villain. Hence Doom. Rise of the Silver Surfer was "okay." Better than the first, but the bar was set pretty low. It was also short, which helped.

I never saw Fant4stic. Well, not true, I tried but bailed after the first 15. Aside from being dull, I hated Miles Tellar as Reed and his character is pivotal to me.

I'm gonna say it: the unreleased Roger Corman version is the closest they got to capturing the feel of the comic. The film is a turd, but the characters are spot on and the cast is game. I always liked Alex Hyde-White in his TV appearances and he looked just like Reed and his character was well written. Even Doom was right. One time.

As for the upcoming, I am trying not to be too hopeful, MCU has been shaky with their lower tier characters, but nailed the last Spider-Man (I actually liked The Marvels for the most part). I'd be fine if Von Doom is a background character, introduced and used later. There are a TON of great villains to be mined.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
They should go all out and start w/ the Mole Man! :D:cool: But presumably, that won't happen since Galactus (and Silver Surfer?) is apparently gonna at least have some kinda cameo appearance (of sorts) I guess... :P

_Man_

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Doom has been used three times? I saw him in the first FF movie, but where else did he turn up?

He was in both of the Tim Story-directed films. In the second the one, he stole the Silver Surfer's cosmic power.

The third was in the Josh Trank film.

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
Yeah, Doom was in both Tim Story films. Galactus was really just talked about until the end (where he appeared in the form of a cloud), but the Silver Surfer was the main "villain" - I use quotes because he was really more of a "crisis" character and not a villain. Hence Doom. Rise of the Silver Surfer was "okay." Better than the first, but the bar was set pretty low. It was also short, which helped.

I never saw Fant4stic. Well, not true, I tried but bailed after the first 15. Aside from being dull, I hated Miles Tellar as Reed and his character is pivotal to me.

I'm gonna say it: the unreleased Roger Corman version is the closest they got to capturing the feel of the comic. The film is a turd, but the characters are spot on and the cast is game. I always liked Alex Hyde-White in his TV appearances and he looked just like Reed and his character was well written. Even Doom was right. One time.

As for the upcoming, I am trying not to be too hopeful, MCU has been shaky with their lower tier characters, but nailed the last Spider-Man (I actually liked The Marvels for the most part). I'd be fine if Von Doom is a background character, introduced and used later. There are a TON of great villains to be mined.

Thanks, I recall the Surfer being treated as a semi-villain, but don't recall Doom's role at all. Will have to rewatch.

I think the two Tim Story films are OK. They are not too ambitious, but do a decent job providing comic book-ish FF adventures. Didn't see the third film as there did not seem to be anything interesting in the trailer, and it didn't feel very FFish.

I have been meaning to watch the Corman film. But I am still recovering from the 90s Captain America and Nick Fury films, so I may need to build up a little more strength first.

As for getting the FF right on screen, the 1967 and 1994 animated series are both pretty good, if a little goofy from time to time.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Oh if you wanna include animation, the 1967 is my go-to. Stories were adapted from the Lee/Kirby books (which were all they had at the time), albeit simplified. The characters were spot on, although Sue was - as in the books - something of a "damsel" which doesn't help those stories in retrospect. At least she's not told to stay home and be pregnant. :laugh:

A lot of the voice work was great (some not so much). The theme music was incredible. Hannah-Barbera was doing some really fun adventure shows in those days.

Is the 90's version the one where Ben spray paints a "4" on his chest? I had a hard time with 90's Marvel animated series. X-Men worked, but Spider-Man used garishly primitive CGI for a lot of backgrounds and often the animation itself for the shows was....weird, for lack of a better term. Again, other than X-Men, most of these shows had cheesy songs for their openings. But all TV from that era tended to look odd thanks to the "edited on tape" coupled with bad CGI. WB was killing it with Batman and Superman, but Marvel looked less polished.

I would love an FF animated series along the lines of the current X-Men 97, which is brilliant. Even if it's more like the 60's style, but smoother and arc driven as those stories were. It would be prep for the upcoming film.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
GNoqG3nXoAAYSMn

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
Is the 90's version the one where Ben spray paints a "4" on his chest? I had a hard time with 90's Marvel animated series. X-Men worked, but Spider-Man used garishly primitive CGI for a lot of backgrounds and often the animation itself for the shows was....weird, for lack of a better term. Again, other than X-Men, most of these shows had cheesy songs for their openings. But all TV from that era tended to look odd thanks to the "edited on tape" coupled with bad CGI. WB was killing it with Batman and Superman, but Marvel looked less polished.

I would love an FF animated series along the lines of the current X-Men 97, which is brilliant. Even if it's more like the 60's style, but smoother and arc driven as those stories were. It would be prep for the upcoming film.
By your description, I believe you're thinking of the 2006 anime-style series Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes which aired on Cartoon Network. I never saw much of that. The 1994 series has more conventional FF character designs.

I agree that WB's DC series were a clear cut above Marvel's animated output in the 90s, and probably stayed well ahead until The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes came out in 2010. Too bad Marvel animation got Disneyfied after that great series.

I still enjoy Marvel's 90s output, even though it has some rough edges. The 94 Spiderman series does have some wonky CGI and somewhat choppy animation, but the character designs and stories are good and a lot of Marvel universe characters make experiences. It's probably the last time we'll see old school Spiderman stories in animation.

The '96 Hulk series is pretty good, although I'm not a big Hulk fan in general.

The '94 Fantastic Four and Iron Man series are mixed bags. Feels like they both have one foot still planted in the 80s, and aren't quite ready to commit to the deeper storylines and characterization that Batman:TAS introduced. But they're still a good time.

As for "cheesy" theme songs... I love them! Personally I would take the 2nd season intro of Iron Man over the dramatic but repetitious X-Men theme:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Yeah my memory is fuzzy about the series of those years since the animation was unappealing to me. Even X-Men has aged really badly, visually.

I remember mostly "four for four! Fantastic Four!" Meh. However, going back a few years earlier, I have a soft spot for Pryde of the X-Men. More like the Sunbow G.I. Joe animation work than the 90's.

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
Yeah my memory is fuzzy about the series of those years since the animation was unappealing to me. Even X-Men has aged really badly, visually.

I remember mostly "four for four! Fantastic Four!" Meh. However, going back a few years earlier, I have a soft spot for Pryde of the X-Men. More like the Sunbow G.I. Joe animation work than the 90's.
Heh, I love that "Four for four" tune. Very goofy but so catchy.

As for Pryde of the X-Men, the animation is superb. I think Toei Animation was involved, the same studio that worked on GI Joe. Only this time they really pulled out all the stops. Apparently Marvel declined to produce the final episode of their 1988 Robocop series, and instead used that budget to make Pryde.

But where do you stand on "X-Men! X-Men! This is the day! This is the Day! X-Men! X-Men! Coming Your Way!"? :biggrin:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Heh, I love that "Four for four" tune. Very goofy but so catchy.

As for Pryde of the X-Men, the animation is superb. I think Toei Animation was involved, the same studio that worked on GI Joe. Only this time they really pulled out all the stops. Apparently Marvel declined to produce the final episode of their 1988 Robocop series, and instead used that budget to make Pryde.

But where do you stand on "X-Men! X-Men! This is the day! This is the Day! X-Men! X-Men! Coming Your Way!"? :biggrin:
Ha the song is terrible but an earworm.

"Magneto's hoards are on the move to pillage, burn and plunda!
But there's a team that will not yield, a team that strikes like thund-a!"

The Australian Wolverine was a huge miscalculation, though.

Damn tho, it looked great.

Back to the FF movie, I really do hope they really nail the family feel. They're not a super-hero team per se. Get that right, don't ruin Von Doom, and this might actually not disappoint me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pmiller27
Recent bookmarks