What's new

Family Guy: Am I the only one who *doesn't* like it? (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
You're comparing apples to oranges. Family Guy is a network show while South Park is a cable show. The limitation of network television dramatically hampers Family Guy's production company from what they can and cannot do. I believe Family Guy destroys South Park in the ratings in sheer numbers (total and young). However, much like the Sopranos-copycat Falcone was cancelled from CBS/FOX? despite the fact that it pulled in like 10x the ratings of the Sopranos, Family Guy couldn't pull in the ratings that Fox wanted apparently.

I guarantee you though that if you threw Family Guy on cable, which automatically kills a lot of the censorship found on TV, then Family Guy would thrive even further. Family Guy is certainly cutting-edge network TV comedy. Perhaps not cable or movie caliber (which I too would dispute).... but certainly an amazing show.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
The context was that hugely stereotypical british guys took over the local PUB and Peter started to think they would take over other things, like blockbuster movies, to which Peter thought of a movie and it was Arnie and Sly are sitting is a little row boat in the middle of a seet little pond, and acting very very homosexually.

--

Maybe I'm mixed up, but wasn't part of the Schwarzenegger/Stallone bit not so much that they were or weren't gay, but that they were starring in a Merchant/Ivory production? Kind of like seeing Schwartz/Stallone on the big screen as Frasier and Niles.

From the description above, that certainly seems to be the case. But I didn't see it, so I don't know. The description doesn't exactly make the scene sound hilarious anyway... I mean, wouldn't that be the kind of thing that any imbecille screenwriter would come up with if faced with the premise "Hollywood taken over by stereotypical british guys"?

/Mike

Ike

Screenwriter
You're comparing apples to oranges. Family Guy is a network show while South Park is a cable show. The limitation of network television dramatically hampers Family Guy's production company from what they can and cannot do.
There maybe a limitation to what Family Guy can do, but there isn't a limitation on what you can watch. Family Guy, knowing that it's network, shouldn't go for shock humour, since it can't compete. It should have gone for something more subtle, ala The Simpsons.

And it's basic cable, so it can only be slightly more offensive than network. (Though, it appears to be their choice to do so).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The limitation of network television dramatically hampers Family Guy's production company from what they can and cannot do.
But of course, Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire, Temptation Island, When Animals Attack, etc. are OK, but raunchy animated humor is a big no-no. These are all on FOX, and if any network was going to break a taboo first, it would be them.

If Family Guy is not that great because of its being on network TV and South Park is better because its on cable, the fact still remains that South Park is better, no matter what the reason. If the show sucks, I shouldn't watch it just because it can't help but suck due to circumstance.

Networks have had shows with weird, out of nowhere comedy or outrageous jokes or other types of comedy that FG tries to use, and they have all been good. The reason FG sucks is mainly because its got some good jokes, just bad writing.

And if it wanted to be funny, it wouldn't have to try to be groundbreaking because it can be funny without being groundbreaking. Since its on network TV, it can't be the type of groundbreaking it wants to be, so it shouldn't even try to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks