Family Guy: Am I the only one who *doesn't* like it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveF, Jan 29, 2002.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    There's a rather vocal group of "The Family Guy" fans, but I've never seen anyone here state they don't like it. So am I the only one here that doesn't like Family Guy? Or am I in further need of "re-education"? Or are the dissidents silent, for fear of the roving gang of FG thugs :p)

I like The Simpsons, but The Family Guy I just don't get.

2. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

There are already two threads open about Family Guy, and one is comparing it to The Simpsons.

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Yes, and they're both "Save the Family Guy", "Sign the Petition" threads. Which is what made me wonder if anyone doesn't care for it. And I didn't want to rudely toss a "this show sucks" into their little love-fest threads [​IMG]

4. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

Well...I'll jump in a defend the funniest show on TV.

Great ORIGINAL comedy...see Ike, original.

Actually, if one must know, Ike is the one doing the comparing. Most fans of Family Guy know the major differences from the two GREAT animated shows.

It's your opinion not to like the show. Similar to me HATING Buffy and Malcolm in the Middle.

So it's just a mtter of opinion. But in all truth, Family Guy equally deserves it time slot as any other Fox show.

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I, for one, could care less what happens to this show. If it goes, something else will take its place, and if it stays, maybe I'll watch it. I have no opinion either way.

Kinda weird how it was cancelled, then came back, then got cancelled, and so on.

6. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Dave,

You're not the only one. The TV critic for Entertainment Weekly calls it "the cartoon as vile swill" and has put it on his worst of the year list for 2000 and 2001.

7. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

8. Rob Cooper

Rob Cooper Stunt Coordinator

I don't Like Family Guy. Its never appealed. I once saw one joke on it that made me laugh, everything else has not been my cup of tea.

9. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

My wife didn't like it until recently. I basically had it on UTV every week and she finally got around to watching a couple of them one day. She was hooked [​IMG]
    It grows on you. Just like mold

10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

11. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Well, I like both shows but think the Family Guy is better currently. Kumbaya fellow HTFers... [​IMG]

12. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    I know I tried as hard as heck to like this show. I decided I just couldn't. The one-liners fly at a mile a minute and, if you don't know a given reference---or just didn't hear it, it flew by you so fast---,then you're left totally lost. Too many in-jokes.

I respect this show, but I just couldn't like it, so I gave up watching it last year (before it was cancelled).

Isn't it somehow connected with the creators of The Critic? Same style of transition to spoof/satire scenes, no?

13. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

I never understood the appeal of "The Critic" or "Family Guy"...for me it't seemingly slow pacing just made it worse and totally inaccessible...humor-wise.

14. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I only watched "Family Guy" once, and I didn't like it. It was so self-consciously trying to be "funny" and "outrageous" (and failing, at that) that it didn't appeal to me.

/Mike

15. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

I, too, tried to like this show and after watching the first season there was only one gag that made me laugh out loud (the Bobby Kennedy action figure). IMO it's a mish-mash and rip-off of the Flintstones, Simpsons and even The (way underappreciated) Critic. [​IMG]

Rafael

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

The Family Guy has a very specific brand of humor. It's not for everybody. It relies on shock, usually in the form of odd references or bad taste. I personally love it because I like this type of humor. I like things that many consider "tasteless:" South Park, heavy metal, the Opie and Anthony show, Playboy magazine, dirty jokes, etc.

It's certainly not "on" 100%. The strength of the show lies in its moments- one liners, cut scenes, absurd "cameo" appearances.

Peter Griffin falling out of a window between two trees. A web appeares and catches him. He looks over and says, "Thanks, Spiderman." The "camera" shifts to a tree branch where Spider is crouching and says, "Everybody gets one," then jumps away.

I find that kind of thing hilarious. Some don't. It's a very specific type of humor. If you don't like it, then you don't like it. It's just a TV show.

The problem is that it's on a network. Networks rely on programming that have mass appeal. The Family Guy belongs on Commedy Central.

17. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

I'm glad someone had the guts to start this thread. I watched the first several episodes and I could not watch it anymore. The worse part is the lead guy, or "family guy?" Some of the others, like the baby, the teenage son or the wife are humorous at times, but the father is so bad, it puts me off from watching that show ever. If there was ever a difference between dumb and stupid, then I would classify Homer Simpson as dumb, but the Family guy would be stupid.

Sorry, just my opinion. If you enjoy the show, then good for you!

18. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

I could never get into the show either. I'm a huge fan of the Simpsons, even though the past few season's have been less than spectacular. I still watch the Critic on Comedy Central pretty often, too.

So yeah Dave, you're not alone!

-Jason

19. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

Can this show please STAY cancelled??? Never funny for 1 second & the worst animation on TV![​IMG]

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I always got the impression that this show was trying way too hard to be funny, and only rarely succeeding. I really wanted to laugh, but the creators did not give me too many opportunities.

Regards,