What's new

Family Guy: Am I the only one who *doesn't* like it? (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Mmmm....The Critic. LOVE that show.

But Family Guy...nowhere near the same. Its an OK diversion, but I don't think I could really get into it. It tries too hard to be like an extreme version of the Simpsons.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Peter Griffin falling out of a window between two trees. A web appeares and catches him. He looks over and says, "Thanks, Spiderman." The "camera" shifts to a tree branch where Spider is crouching and says, "Everybody gets one," then jumps away.
This is definitely my type of humour too. I have been very defensive with the few topics around here. But I just find this show to be the best "over the top" comedy show around. Maybe it's cause people don't get the jokes.

Jokes like Arnold Swartz. and sly Stallone staring as homosexuals in a blockbuster movie.

Tom Tucker (news anchorperson) ridiculous sexual references.

A drug bust on a "supposed" childs orphanige that turns out to be a midget mod drug business.

Maybe it's a college student type of show. I guess it has the same fan appeal as WWF wrestling, which I am a big fan of as well.

I just feel that the people that think the show is insulting should lighten up. It's about time a show will bring light to any situation. When light is brought to situations, like homosexuality, it is easier for people to accept these situations.

SAVE FAMILY GUY

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
BTW...here is the synopsis for tonights episode:

When Peter meets one of Lois' ex-boyfriends, he is jealous and antagonizes her by going on a date with Jennifer Love Hewitt.

I see that as being damn funny and very original.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
When Peter meets one of Lois' ex-boyfriends, he is jealous and antagonizes her by going on a date with Jennifer Love Hewitt. I see that as being damn funny and very original.
Yeah, the jealous-spouse-acts-out plot is highly original... :rolleyes::) (Not that it can't be funny)

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
DaveF, I guess when every other show out there uses this plot it's original. It's the twists that FG puts on all the plots that makes it good. Boring??? I guess you don't get it. Sorry, I'm just kinda ticked that people can't "escape" into this show like the people who cherish it do.

It's the only show that you can expect great spinoff side bits that kill you. Ei the packman thing tonight was fantastic.

Hopefully all the people that don't like it or have't really spent the time to understand it, saw the second episode tonight. It was the Willy Wonka episode...one of the most creative episodes ever.

Hope some people saw it.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Any show where a pot-pellied, toupee wearing William Shatner dies in a car crash and with his last breath cries out, "Beam me up, God!" is all right by me. :laugh:
Top show. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
A defining moment of the Family Guy was in the Willy Wonka episode where the oompa-loompa type creatures sing their song to the guy in the wheelchair. It was extremely offensive and hilarious.

If you can't laugh at handicapped people and God, than Family Guy is not for you.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
If you can't laugh at handicapped people and God, than Family Guy is not for you.
In other words, if your an adult, without an arrested sense of development, and don't regret that you could tell all the racist and fag jokes you want with impunity, then Family Guy is not for you.:rolleyes
Ryan, we get it. This isn't an enigmatic Altman-esque character study. It's a base, and simplistic animated version of Jackass. We're just mature enough to realize that it's crap.
Hey, I got an idea...let's all troll the "save family guy" lovefest threads, like they're doing here! ;)

Ike

Screenwriter
Come on, no one's trolling. You can't post a thread without discussion.

But, the same could be said of South Park, but under South Park, there is such a level of intelligence, satire, and even a little heart that it makes it, in my mind, one of the best shows on currently. The kids have tackled censorship, abortion, stem cells, Afghanistan, gay's (with humour and respect), religon, and every other currently important topic under the sun. Not only that, but they make it so dirty, and funny, that a lot of people never realize that aspect of it (it's sort of funny-a lot of people only see the curse words and odd situations and say there's nothing behind it).

With Family Guy, I see the same "outrageous" humour, though cleaned up for network, and thrown in to a Simpsons setting, and then nothing happens-there's no satire, no real intelligence, no heart. There's an occasional spoof, sure, but I've yet to see anything beyond broad humour. It feels like dirty humour that's been cooked up by a board room of writers with network execs standing behind them.

But even broad humour needs room to breathe-you can't get broad (read-dirty) enough on network to support a series. There has to be something else there. South Park realized this, and has become biting, no holds barred satire. The Simpsons has evolved into a subtle satire (well, at least compared to South Park) as well.

I watched a good piece of the Willy Wonka episode. It just wasn't funny to me. I have been known to have base humour as a guilty pleasure (I loved Jackass), but The Family Guy's promise is not as good as it's delivery, at least to me.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Well, what can I say? You folks obviously put much more thought into this than I have. To me, they're just silly TV shows that make me laugh. I'm a sucker for animated comedies because they can get away with absurd things that would never work otherwise. I enjoy Simpsons, Critic, South Park, and Family Guy, but King of the Hill is the lamest thing I've ever seen. To each his own, I suppose. I'm guess I'm an "immature" child you laughs at oompa-loompas singing about God punishing the handicapped.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I enjoy Simpsons, Critic, South Park, and Family Guy, but King of the Hill is the lamest thing I've ever seen. To each his own, I suppose.
I've been known to enjoy a few South Park episodes, and many Simpsons. But I also enjoy King of the Hill from time to time. I'd bet that we would laugh at different things in, say, The Simpsons.
I didn't want to bash TFG fans -- a friend (and very smart guy) was a fan of it. I didn't understand why, but I'm aware that people do like it.
So whatever floats your (sick, twisted) boat :p)

Ike

Screenwriter
Do you not like King of the Hill, because, like you say, it doesn't "get away with absurd things that would never work otherwise?" King of the Hill is very much just a sitcom, and I happen to love it, but I live in Texas, and catch all the little nuances. I don't like it as much as The Simpsons or South Park, but I do like it better than The Family Guy (that's not to say I hate Family Guy-just that I think it's pretty mediocre)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Ryan Peddle wrote:

Jokes like Arnold Swartz. and sly Stallone staring as homosexuals in a blockbuster movie.

What was the context? Portraying someone as a homosexual is in itself not very funny, unless there's some twist to it. What was the twist here?

/Mike

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ike, I don't like King of the Hill because I never find it funny. And yes, I do get all the nuances and jokes. Like you said, it's a sitcom. The thing is, I absolutely hate sitcoms. The Family Guy is so absurd, it doesn't feel like a sitcom.

Only the Family Guy would have a cut scene where they show PacMan in his living room being consoled by the ghost-characters from the game.

"Oh, look, we're turning blue. Come on don't you wanna eat us? Aw, it's not working, let's go to Q-Bert's house."

King of the Hill is more "standard" TV sitcom fare. Love it or hate it, Family Guy is something totally out there.

I can understand folks not liking it. That's still no reason to dog on it as much as some people do. FOX should just sell it to Comedy Central or something. I knew it wouldn't survive in a weekday prime-time slot on a network. It was doomed to failure. Let FOX give to someone else and go ahead and make "That 50s Show" or whatever.

James Zubb

Stunt Coordinator
What was the context? Portraying someone as a homosexual is in itself not very funny, unless there's some twist to it. What was the twist here?
First I agree that portraying someone as gay is not really funny without context, probably why I hate Will & Grace. Anyway the context is all right there. Sly and Arny are manly men who do manly movies for manly guys. It is pretty funny to portray them as gay.
So sorry for interjecting, I will take my "immature" self back to the save family guy thread. :rolleyes

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
For the record, I don't think that you have to be immature to appreciate "Family Guy".

Sly and Arny are manly men who do manly movies for manly guys. It is pretty funny to portray them as gay.

It could be, but since I haven't seen the bit I can't say if it was or not, that's why I asked about the context. I mean, what were they DOING in the scene?

/Mike

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
To be honest, I'm amazed this show is still on the air. I saw the premere a long time ago and thought it was a hunk of crap. I've only seen more episodes because it is next to "The Tick" and only found it moderately better. Hell, at least "The Tick" is funny, and it got canned. Sometimes, I don't understand network execs.

Jason

Ike

Screenwriter
Only the Family Guy would have a cut scene where they show PacMan in his living room being consoled by the ghost-characters from the game.

"Oh, look, we're turning blue. Come on don't you wanna eat us? Aw, it's not working, let's go to Q-Bert's house."
Actually, that sounds a lot like a video game themed episode from Futurama.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks