What's new

External Firewire Case? (1 Viewer)

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I am looking for an external Firewire Case that will hold a DVD Burner and a hard drive. Both in one case. Does this item exist? I have seen a case that holds two hard drives but it isn't large enough to fit a DVD Burner.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Glenn

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Patrick,

>>Did you look at Firewire Depot? they have a section for multi-bay enclosures...

Thanks for the link. One of those might be cool. They say special order, I wonder how long they would be to get one? I guess I will try and e-mail or call them to find out.

I think it will be pretty nice to have a hard drive, maybe an 80 or 100 GB, in the same external case as a DVD Burner. I use a couple of different copmputers and then I could swap the case around and try burning DVDs and editing on different computers.

Thanks,
Glenn

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I got one from Granite Digital by special order.

For $599:

1 "Hot Swap" FW Hard Drive Bay with support for >137GB drives and an LCD.
1 Bridge Board to FW for DVD-RAM drive (or whatever optical drive you choose.

All housed in a two drive tower with Power Supply and a few very quiet fans.

Works great and yields >40MB/sec to a 200GB HD and 1.5-4MB/sec for the DVD-RAM write.

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
>>I got one from Granite Digital by special order.

>>For $599:

OUCH. For that price I would have to just get two cases and use them. I couldn't justify spending that amount for one case.

Thanks anyways,
Glenn

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
It should be noted that Granite Digital is the same company that charges upwards of $50 for its shortest SCSI cables. ;)

While I can understand the desire to have both drives in one enclosure, Jeff does (unintentionally) make a good suggestion about putting each drive in a separate case and linking them, in the event that you ever want to connect one device and not the other to another computer.

At any rate, be sure to look for cases that use the Oxford 911 chipset.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks