Any external firewire HD mounts that are rack mountable?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Brian W. Ralston, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston
    OK.....so soon I am going to be upgrading my Dual G4 Mac to a Dual G5 MAC. Over the last couple years...I have bought a lot of additional internal hard drives for my G4 and they all fit inside (with a new IDE controller of course).

On the G5...there is limited room for HDs and they are SATA drives anyway......

So I am looking for external firewire hard drive cases where I can mount these additional drives from my G4 and still use them as storage for my G5. To make things clean in my music studio...I would love to be able to rack mount these firewire cases. I know Lacie makes rack mount kits for their D2 external firewire drives.......but I already have the drives....I just need the cases to mount them in.

Any thoughts? Anyone?

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I'm pretty sure FireWire Depot used to sell a 4U enclosure that held six or eight drives, but when I checked their site, I couldn't find it. Might have been discontinued.

3. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Yep, I don't think you can get that anymore.. there is a 1U 4 drive enclosure that lists in catalog at $288 (no drives) but we have such low demand on it, it's never come up.

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Too bad. I've been wanting to stick a bunch of drives into a single firewire enclosure myself.

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Actually, there are plenty of enclosures out there that accomodate up to eight drives. It's just that none of them can be mounted in a server rack.