External Firewire cases..

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Reece, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Reece

Reece Stunt Coordinator

I have an extra WD180Gb hard drive that I would like to hook up to my PC through either a firewire or usb 2.0 connection. I know there are external cases made that can be used for this purpose but all my searches turn up expensive options costing $80 and up.

Does anyone know where to find cheaper cases...like around $40 or $50 or DIY parts?

Not trying to be cheap, but I've seen these cases with hard drives in them for just a few dollars more and thought they would be less expensive without.

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I've been looking on Ebay for a case, to do the same thing. Seems like most go for about $40 or $50 there. Do a search for firewire enclosure, and make sure the one you pick out can fit a 3.5" drive.

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I picked up one of mine mine at a B&M for $50, but it was on closeout. Try looking by price through one of the shopping sites like Yahoo. Make sure you get one with the Oxford911 chipset.

4. Christop_Holmes

Christop_Holmes Stunt Coordinator

go to newegg.com and search there!

5. Reece

Reece Stunt Coordinator

Thanks you guys...

I appreciate the helpful tips for a search. I've done business with newegg before so I'll try there first.

Michael*K...

Pardon my ignorance, but why do you like the Oxford911 chipset?

6. Reece

Reece Stunt Coordinator

Well I did a search on the Oxford911 chipset and it seems that this chipset is made to address the 137Gb limit in the Win OS. I also found that another chipset called Ali does the same and the drive enclosures sell for a few $$ less.

I guess my new question is the Oxford911 chipset worth $10-15 more than the Ali chipset?

7. Christop_Holmes

Christop_Holmes Stunt Coordinator

go to newegg.com and search for hard drive enclosures, they hace a nice one there that supports up to 250 gigs, just make sure you read the reviews, because sometimes windows XP wont support it in which case you would need to contact the hard drive manufacturer