What's new

extension cord to projector (1 Viewer)

firebrick

Agent
Real Name
mark
I dont have an outlet on the ceiling so is it normal to run a long extension cord to the projector? If you just plug into an outlet what type of surge protection do you have? I have an old monster surge protector that I planned on using for the dvd player and reciever but I am going to need at least 20' of extension cord to reach the projector if I plug into that. Thanks.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
If the cord would be running into and around the ceiling, then it is my understanding that it is against code and very unadvised. What I had to do was have my electrician "make an outlet" at the projector and one where my surge protection/battery backup would be. The female end is in the ceiling near my projector and the male end comes out of the wall near my UPS. Then I use a regular female/male extension to go from that male outlet in the wall to the UPS. In the end, it's sort of like an extension cord but to code.
I found this method either googling some search terms or maybe on AVS. Can't remember for sure.
Hope this helps.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Depends.

First, while it may be advisable to plug everything in more-or-less together, it isn't always required. I've been fortunate in that I've not had a ground-loop in my set-up.

Second, where's the projector?

Mine is just a little bit in front of a set of shelves. For me, I snake the power cord out, drop it down behind the shelves, where somewhere it meets an extension cord, and runs to an outlet. Unless you go looking, most people don't see it, and it's not running through a wall, which, as Southpaw pointed out, is generally a "no-no" by the local codes.

Of course, I'm also running non-plenum signal lines though a drop ceiling, and not in conduit, either, but....

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I use a 15 ft heavy duty extension cord to run my power from the projector, which is on a shelf directly behind my seats, to the UPS which is directly under my screen. I can't help with the ceiling issue, but an extension cord [of proper capacity] shouldn't be a problem.

John

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I had a similar issue - but also a very handy father-in-law – who knows a thing or two about wiring.

I have a surge proctor hooked up to a ground protected outlet (That he also put in), and he asked if I wanted any outlets to be connected to it and where I would want them. I said it would be great to have 1 for the projector and 1 for the sub.

When I got home, I had an extension box located in both places. He got a few heavy duty extension cords - cut off the female end - and used it to wire in the extension boxes. Now the sub and the projector will have their own outlets, both connected through the surge proctor...

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
I suggest having an electrician put an outlet in ceiling, shouldnt cost much at all. Use either Monster Flatscreen Powerprotect 200 or PS Audio In Wall Power Conditioner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks