What's new

Extending Linksys wireless range? (1 Viewer)

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Ron,

>>Get a D-Link DWL-800AP+.

You need to check and make sure that the D-Link is compatible with your Linksys before you buy one. Check D-Link's web site. I don't think D-Link lists any other manufacturer as compatible. It might very well work but I would make sure before I buy it. M

Maybe Linksys has a similar product?

Glenn

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I know that the 800 and a Linksys will work together. That is the same setup that they had. I think they even had the same router as you.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Ron:

I just finished doing this exact setup myself (adding a 900AP+ to my Linksys W11S4 wireless router). Be warned: I was not able to make it work UNTIL I updated the firmware on the 900AP+. The firmware it came with (2.21) was apparently the first one that supported repeater mode and there were some bugs. It wasn't until I updated the firmware to 2.6 that it worked.

Also - if you don't have a RJ-45 turnaround cable, you'll need to hook up an ethernet hub between it and your computer *AND* set your computer to a static IP on the same subnet.

Setting it up was a little tricker than I would have liked, but once I finally had it going I was able to walk my TabletPC all the way to the projection booth in the screening room and have a good connection -- something that was impossible previously. Now I can finally get a reliable network connection to my HTPC!

-greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks