What's new

How do I extend the range of my wireless network? (1 Viewer)

KrishnaS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Guys - I have a Linksys wireless router connected to my cable modem at one end of my house. My bedroom is at the other end. Is there some kind of a repeater or amplifier I can buy that will extend the range of my wireless network? A link would be helpful too.

Thanks - KS

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I think you can use a WAP (access point) or a wireless bridge as a repeater to extend your range.

Go to the Linksys website and check out some datasheets or instructions.

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
Or you can buy a hi-gain antenna...depends on the manufacturer and it may or may not be cost effective. Careful...you will start broadcasting out to the street and farther. Make sure WEP or WPA is turned on.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I would just pick up another access point. Or, if you have lots of ethernet cable, try moving the current AP/Router closer to the middle of the house.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
How much range are we talking here? I've got a Linksys wireless router, and I can actually "see" the thing from a friends house half-a-block away. (Speed is terrible, but it works. Made sure to lock it down after I saw that!)

You just need to get another WAP or a hi-gain antenna, as suggested above. But I'm not sure why you'd need such huge range, unless your house is HUGE and made out of concrete. ;) Can you try relocating the router, to see if there are any locations that broadcast better?

KrishnaS

Stunt Coordinator
My house is pretty huge. Relocating the router isn't an option. I think I found a linksys WAP that works as a repeater. 57 bucks on pricewatcher. Any hints on how I set this up> Do I just plug it in and it automatically finds the network and rebroadcasts the signal?

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Check www.dslreports.com . The have several forums dealing with sharing of broadband via wireless including manufacturer specific forums and general. There is also plenty of stuff there about antennas, even designs you can print out and make posterboard or cardboard cutouts and cover with foil that will maximize your signal in teh house and help keep unwanted signal from leaving.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Krishna,

Linksys announced a range expander, that will be "coming soon". Seems to do exactly what you want. I'm interested in that device myself.

Cees

KrishnaS

Stunt Coordinator
Cees - that link isn't opening up for me. Can you post a description of what it is? Thanks.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Here you go... from the web page.

Sounds like exactly what you need. Might want to see if you can hang tough until it arrives. :)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I also use the Linksys Wireless-G with a Microsoft MN-720 card. I have incredible range. My laptop and router could not be any further from each other. Approx 1200 sq ft. flat, three walls and a door in between. My friend, she lives behind and is constantly hopping on my network.

Like Tony said, how much range? How many walls? Old, new building...

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
I have an older Linksys AP and was getting pretty bad range with the Linksys PCMCIA card on my laptop. Then I bought a Cisco Aironet 352 Wireless card on ebay and I get GREAT reception from all parts of my house. So it may be your card, not your AP.

KrishnaS

Stunt Coordinator
I think the range extender is exactly what I'm looking for. I wonder how different it is from the WAP 11 that Linksys says can also work as a repeater.

Any idea on when the range extender is going to be available?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Looking forward to that Linksys range extender
even though I currently get good rane throughout
the house.

KrishnaS

Stunt Coordinator
So does anyone know when it will be out? i desperately need to do something to extend my range.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Krishna,

Unfortunately, it still says nothing more than "coming soon" on their site. I'm waiting for it myself!

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks