What's new

Explain a Spider Man plot hole (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"There was an unmasking scene in Batman?"
Yes. In the alley when hes knocked out for a second. Vickie Vale is on the fire escape and snaps a picture.Remember when she wakes and noticed he took the film from her blouse.
One of the crooks says "Take off his mask I wanna see hwat he really looks like" or something like that and they pull up his mask.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
reasoning for why the green goblin didnt unmask spider-man.

goblin is insane. and when he sees spider-man he only sees him as spider-man at that point at least. not as a person. spider-man is his identity. and has no other to the goblin.

later on he may have had a thought of unmasking him, but didnt have to as he figured out he was parker, by accident.

James T

Screenwriter
I always thought that the reason for Goblin not unmasking Spider-man was because of respect. Sounds crazy, but Goblin originally wanted Spider-man on his side and even asked him to join him. It was only when Spider-man refused that he wanted to take advantage of his duel identity.

Regarding the first point, it's been said before. Comic movies are meant so that you check your brain at the door before viewing.

If you really care, you can nitpick practically any movie, regardless if it's comic related. To stick with comics, more examples can include Bruce Wayne training for 10 years around the world to his top physical and mental peak. He could have used a fake name, but surely at least a few of his trainers could have noticed that the young teenager was the same young millionaire who lost both his parents to a murder a few years earlier. Or why no one can recognize the chin (or eyes in the movie) of Gotham City's most famous celebrity?

Another Spider-man "goof" to think about is why is it that Mary Jane can't figure out who Spider-man is. He's the same height and build as Peter, and he talks the exact same way as Peter or Spider-man. Peter also lives in the heart of Queens, so why is it that nobody sees a man web slinging to his apartment on a sunny day?

The most obvious is Clark Kent's glasses.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
But didn't Vickie Vale snap a picture at them right before they pulled the mask back far enough, which then distracted the crooks and gave Batman enough time to regroup?
But remember, later on, Batman takes the film from Vicki, so he obviously thought it was damaging stuff.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
You guys are neglecting one simple fact that has been a comic book tradition since the beginning...

and that is everyone in these comics are incredibly stupid. :D

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
But remember, later on, Batman takes the film from Vicki, so he obviously thought it was damaging stuff.
Yea good point. Maybe Vickie was not trying to save Batman, but rather wanting to become famous with the first picture of Batman unmasked. That bitch...

Dean

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
In the novelization of Spider-man (I was in Barnes and Noble they other day and was bored), ithe dialogue between Spidey and teh GG is extended. The Goblin tells Peter that he didn't remove his mask out of respect, then pitches his offer.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Another Spider-man "goof" to think about is why is it that Mary Jane can't figure out who Spider-man is. He's the same height and build as Peter, and he talks the exact same way as Peter or Spider-man. Peter also lives in the heart of Queens, so why is it that nobody sees a man web slinging to his apartment on a sunny day?
Actually, MJ does find out that Peter is Spidey in the end. Just look at her expression after he kisses her and walks away. I'm sure this will be dealt with in the sequel.

florence franks

Stunt Coordinator
Dave I had same problem with spiderman. I enjoyed it, knew was action hero flick so mandatory dumbing down is needed but still could not get past that part either. Wrestling match calling him human spider and doing moves same as this out of no where spiderman is too much to suspend, even for soap opera crowd :)

RobertW

Supporting Actor
it's obvious enough at the wrestling match that he signed a fake name to the waiver form. people may remember a guy with powers like a spider, but not know who he is or where he came from.

as for the luch room, the other kids just see it as a practical joke. peter somehow rigged some stringy thing to flash's lunch tray.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
The biggest plot hole to me is that although Peter has known MJ since he was 3 or 4 years old and lived right next door, at the beginning of the movie he acts afraid to 'introduce' himself to her.

Brenton

Screenwriter
I would imagine that in the Spider-Man universe, wackos are always claiming to have the true identity of Spider-Man. I bet if you could glimpse a tabloid from the Spider-Man world, it would say "Spider-Man's true identity is... DAVID HASSELHOFF!" and all kinds of crap like that.

Nobody would take somebody seriously who claims to have seen Spider-Man wrestling in an amateur cage-match, or who claims to have gone to school with Spider-Man and has seen him get into a fight. Especially since Peter is a regular guy and no one famous. For instance, if he was famous, and somebody announced that he was Spider-Man, more people would toy around with the idea. But because he is not famous, people would be a lot more critical, and a lot quicker to dismiss the person as a wacko.

I don't think it's a plot hole at all, and I refuse to "check my brain at the door" for any movie, comic book or not.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
The biggest plot hole to me is that although Peter has known MJ since he was 3 or 4 years old and lived right next door, at the beginning of the movie he acts afraid to 'introduce' himself to her.
I lived next door to people for decades and would also have had to introduce myself to them if I ever had actually spoken to them.

DJ

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
Been a while since I've seen the film, but why would the Green Goblin think he'd even recognized Spidey if he unmasked him? I mean, in a city as large as NYC, why would the Green Goblin think he'd learn anything about Spidey's identity by unmasking Spidey?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Dave,

because he knew Peter. He met him outside the museum with Harry, he knew his name and what he looked like. If he had removed his mask, the jig would have been up for sure.

The argument could be made that he doesn't remember anything of his activities as Goblin after the Goblin "leaves" him, but that's not true either. He was clearly disturbed to learn that Peter was Spiderman at the Thanksgiving dinner when he saw him bleeding from the fight they had earlier that day in the burning building.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
John, what Dave's saying is Green Goblin had no reason to think he'd recognize Spider-Man. In fact he would have, but the chances were very small.

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
What i feel the biggest plothole of the movie was they never explained what Green goblin planned to do, if Spidey would team-up with him. it seemed like a rather pathetic "would you be my friend?" speech.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks